Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: OT April Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

I had three grandfathers. At least I thought so. One was a great-grandfather. They were Grandpap M, Grandpap C and Pap-pap. And they lived next door to each other. My dad married the girl next door. ;-) And we lived 3 streets away. And an aunt and uncle w their three kids lived 4 houses away from us. I got the village experience someone here (Agate?) was talking about.

The little girl next door is 6 and has already lost all of her grandparents. I am very thankful to had five and not lose any until I was 13 and lost the last one in my early fifties.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Howie, I've heard lots of different names for grandfathers too. As I said, my grandfathers were called Papa (my father's father) and Gramps (my mother's father). Never knew any of my great grandparents. Papa died when I was 7, Gramps died when I was 15.
    Some other grandfather names I've heard . . . Pops, Pappi, Grandaddy or Grandad. I once had a boyfriend that was Dutch Indonesian, who called his grandfather Umpa.
    My own kids started calling my father-in-law Grumpa instead of Grampa because at times he was pretty grouchy!
    I think a lot of grandparent names are what's easy for a little one to say, almost baby-talk.
    I googled and this site came up. Shows some origins of names.
    http://www.coupons.com/thegoodstuff/...a-and-grandpa/
    Last edited by nuthatch; 04-11-2018 at 07:33 PM.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My brother called this afternoon and said that the son of a family that lived next door to us when we lived about 125 miles from Raleigh found him somehow and got in touch with him.

This man's sister and I were best friends when we were in grammar school. I have not seen her since age 13 or 14. He told my brother that she would just love for me to call her. She has had no idea what my last name is now and did not know where I lived or how to find me. My brother took down her phone number and I told him I would call her in the next couple of days. She was a very nice young girl and actually our families were pretty close back then. The last thing I heard from her was when my Mother died and her Mother talked to me by phone. This was in 1975. She told me that Edith was then living in Charlotte, N.C., married with a couple of children. So, I will talk to her soon.
    Virginia, it's amazing how people can pop up again after so many years. I've been in touch by letter for about 10 years now with a woman I knew as a girl in school. We last saw each other in 1953!

And on the Internet I found someone who lived next door to me as a child--again, someone I'd last seen in 1953. He lived next door. Not "the boy next door" but more like a kid brother. I check in with him on Facebook now and then, with occasional e-mails. He was married, had 5 kids, and recently remarried and seems to be having a good time enjoying dachshunds. He was a nice person as a child and still is.

It's hard to find women because so often our last names changed!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I do remember my dad's grandparents. Mommy and Poppy was all they were ever called. They were just as country as a turnip green, but really nice folks.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We called our mother Ma, and my sister called her Muz. My mother called her mother Mama. I don't remember Mommy being used much when I was a kid but my kids' generation used Mommy or Mom routinely.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cool

Mom and dad were always called just that by all three of us kids. Maybe it's the grandmothers and great grandmothers that got the cute baby names, at least in my family. My moms mother was called grandmother, and dads mother was granny, and the names fit their personalities.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cool

Here it is 2:30pm, and I just realized it's Friday the 13th! Where is that black cat Sam? I had better keep a close eye on her the rest of the day.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Jack & Cassie are here. >^..^< >^..^<
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cool

Sam is here on the bed now, but when she's not in here, she has a spot on the living room sofa where she naps. Of course, at night, she sleeps with me under the covers. Cats!

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Sigh. I miss having a cat. They're so cool!

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast