Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going to Mayo

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

Linda,, that's my thought too,,{damned if you do etc },, Sunshine sorry your best laid plans took the high road,, maybe things will turn yet,, hang in there
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I am sorry you are so dissatisfied with the results of this visit. I have had two EMGs and did not find them to be bad at all. Maybe you will not have a problem with yours. I know we are different in our reactions to things, so you will just have to see.

I am disappointed for you. I know you had such high hopes for this visit.
    Virginia

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Sunshine)))))) ~

I'm so sorry for the ordeal you've endured, and for, what sounds like less than compassionate treatment that you received.

In addition to pain "way worse than childbirth" (OMG!), what is the risk to you systemically going off of your meds for the EMG, and experiencing those withdrawal symptoms? It seems that a risk/benefit analysis would be helpful to you in determining the value of the test and what you'll experience.

Might there be a reasonable mitigating dose of your meds, like a reduced dosage for the test, that wouldn't affect the results adversely and would give you some relief during the test?

Was there any discussion about treatment options based upon the results of your testing? As in, "If we find X, we would take this path of treatment." "If we find Y, then this treatment. If we find, Z, then this treatment."

I don't think it's ever "too early" to discuss treatment options. We create scenarios, and we explore the treatment options for each one. While we're all different in how we respond to a condition/disease and treatment, there are certain protocols, which physicians will follow in treating every one of us. At least in my experiences, most physicians don't think outside the box as much as we'd all like them to do.

But, when going to Mayo Clinic, or Johns Hopkins, or the Cleveland Clinic, etc., we expect outside of the box thinking.

So, I hope that you did have that discussion. And, if you didn't, I hope you will.

I am sending you positive, healing energy, and prayers for strength, a reduction in your stress, an answer from Medicare in your favor, no pain or spasms, peaceful rest, and all of the sunshine you need to see the path ahead.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

6. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Updated. The billing people called and said the procedures will be covered except the paraprofessional hour long consult. Which is about $500: good work if you can get it.

Mayo is a Provider on Medicare Part A, but not Part B. Thus, for the part B visits, Medicare sends me a check and then I pay Mayo.

But, since they aren’t Medicare provider, the amount Medicare allows is 35% less than the charges. Supplementary insurance will pick it up only if you bought Plan F. Luckily I have Plan F.

Let that be a warning to those who are in a similar boat.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

The risk of going off the Meds is a medical crisis of tachycardia, hyper hydrosis, and, theoretically seizure. Not to mention body wide spasms.

I will ask local neuro about it. My pal at infusion center with SPS said he did his EMG on his muscle relaxants.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Yikes, talk about adding to your stress with this upcoming EMG! And how stressful not even to know what'll be covered until after the charge has already been incurred! *mad

Hope your doc can help assuage your concerns and maybe it'll be fine to take your meds after all.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Can you imagine going grocery shopping and there are no prices on the shelves at all? You go to check out, they ring it up and say that will be $1103. So you say, whoa, too expensive. Sorry they say, we already rang it up. You have to pay.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Finally, this past week, I got some answers from the billing department. Most of the charges will be covered, except a couple of hundred dollars. Fair enough.

But most of the June testing visits will not be covered....

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I'm sorry you've had to go through all this. It's hard enough to cope with MS and other symptoms without also having to deal with the financial things.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wonder if there's a way to get some assistance for those expenses? After all you have two chronic disabling disorders. The Easter Seal Society--now apparently known as Easterseals--can often help in situations like yours, I think--might be worth inquiring, anyway:

http://www.easterseals.com/
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123