Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OT - Agate: what a sad end...

Distinguished Community Member

The driver was drunk and several of the occupants of van had drug similar to Benedryl in system:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...story,amp.html

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Oh no.

I don't know if that's devastating, or a small comfort to know that at least the children might not have been terrorized with fear at the time due to being drugged.

Thanks, ANN.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

(((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

ANN ~

Thank you for sharing this new information. I agree with SuzE-Q that it is somewhat comforting to know that the children may have been asleep at the time of the crash.

I wonder whether the driver parent planned all of this ~ gave them all Benadryl, then got drunk to get the “courage” to drive over the cliff. Or perhaps she got drunk, so it would be viewed as a drunk driving accident.

Devonte and his two siblings might be alive today, if the state of Texas hadn’t failed them. Their biological aunt, with whom they’d been living for 6 months, was denied adoption of them in 2010.

https://www.theroot.com/devonte-hart...-wa-1825235780

This broken System must be repaired. Even after this horrific murder of 6 children, there is silence. No one in a position of power is standing up for them and their peers demanding that our country protect orphaned children. No one in the social services arena is speaking out about the need for System reform. So far, I haven’t seen an editorial in a major publication demanding change.

I searched for a Go Fund Me page, or any kind of fundraising effort, to provide a respectful funeral and burial for these children. I found nothing.

Who will fight for all of the innocent children, who are abandoned, or are removed from abusive parents, passed around from foster home to foster home, or are quickly adopted by two women, who should have never been allowed to foster or adopt?

The Hart children will be forgotten, like all of the children in the System. That just compounds the tragedy of this murder.

May they rest in peace.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

5. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Well said, Rose. Well said.

I so appreciate the indefatigable, dogged efforts of reporters not letting this story go. But you're absolutely right - where is the outcry and demands for accountability on behalf of these innocent children?

These children, through absolutely no fault of their own, were let down time and time again by those responsible for their wellbeing.

I read the story about the aunt too. At least she tried hard for them. I wonder why the other child, the 4th, wasn't placed with the Hart's too. To think she was saved by that decision.

As guilty as the neighbor might feel for potentially being the catalyst for the unfolding of events, at least they tried to do the right thing.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

7. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some more information has emerged about this sad case. There's one photo where three of the children are looking painfully thin. And there's more evidence that the social services system really dropped the ball.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...ltr_strybutton
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

9. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

They were failed at every turn of the bend. Why in the world did these people adopt them. I'll never understand this.
    Virginia

11. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Someone pointed out a while back that there are people who take in children through foster care mainly so they can collect the stipend. They spend as little as possible on the kids and so have the money for themselves. They learn clever ways of gaming the system--having ways of knowing when they're about to be checked up on so they can make the situation look acceptable to the visiting social workers, and moving from one state to another when it looks as if trouble is brewing for them.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

13. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Thank you for posting that article. It confirms everything that I suspected and is typical of foster/adoption abuse.

I know that social workers are overworked and carry gigantic case loads. But every social worker, who was involved in the Harts' case from every state, saw those red flags and did nothing. There is no excuse for that. Experienced social workers should be able to recognize when parents, whether biological, foster or adoptive, are lying about their children's care.

At least one person had the courage to initiate a national registry:

One of the women who case workers spoke to about the Harts publicly stepped forward after the crash. Alexandra Argyropoulos has since started a petition calling on Congress to create a national registry of child-welfare reports.

State officials said in a statement that they believe the Hart case highlights the need for such a "clearinghouse" to avoid future tragedies.
    That is a start, but we need our legislators to stand up for these children.

Our congressman is finally retiring. We have a spate of candidates, who look promising. I haven't had the time or energy to explore the candidates' websites, but if I had more time, I would ask each of them to take a stand on this issue.

Regarding the payment for the care of these children, I think $2,000/month is paltry. Six children and two parents living on $2,000/month? And, if the children were adopted and not foster children, then what agency was paying the parents $2,000/month? I haven't been able to find information on this, but if all the parents were receiving for a total of 6 children was $2,000/month, then I don't think that they were able to make a fortune from that sum.

Virginia ~

Your question as to why these two women adopted these children is a very good one. At least one of them, Jen, the driver, appears to have had a mental health issue, and maybe a substance problem. Both parents were estranged from their parents and families.

Evidently, they voiced concerns that they were persecuted, because they were a lesbian couple and vegetarians. (We've been vegetarians for over 20 years, and we've never ever been persecuted for it.) Then, as a white couple, they adopted six African American children, which naturally drew more attention to them.

Notoriety? Perhaps they were seeking fame and admiration. "Oh, look ~ a lesbian couple and they adopted 6 black kids! Aren't they wonderful?" "Oh, look they brought their kids to this march/rally. They're teaching them about activism. Isn't that wonderful?"

After Devonte's photo hugging with the officer went viral, they claimed they moved to escape the spotlight. I call BS. Unless they thought that the photo would put the social services agencies on their trail.

They had a lot to hide.

Have there been funerals or services for these children?

It's just so very very heartbreaking. And so preventable, which makes it even more tragic.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

15. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Thanks for the info, Agate.

Rose, I so agree with everything you wrote. If you don't want publicity, why are you sending your son out at various music festivals and demonstrations with a "free hugs" sign?

I thought I'd seen in one of the articles that a Go Fund Me page had been set up in their name, but I couldn't find it when I looked.

This clearly shows that so many people failed these children, and the system is obviously broken. This should NEVER have been allowed to go on for so long.

17. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234