Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT - Agate: what a sad end...

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

News reports now saying that believe they intentionally drove off cliff as no skid marks and they floored it from quite aways away from the edge.

Such a strange situation. Why not turn adopted children into authorities if contemplating suicide and mass murder of all those innocent young lives?

Hoping the authorities find further clues and can really get to the bottom of this. Just doesn't make sense. If kids complaining not being fed and asking neighbor for food, something very bizarre was going on there.

Just doesn't make sense to take on the responsibility and adopt so many if unable to care for them. Since CPS had been called and tried unsuccessfully to make contact after food request to neighbor, I'm sure there'll be full investigation. I hope they find answers.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Surely they had some friends, co-workers, other family members--some people they occasionally talked to? No one seems to know why they suddenly traveled to California.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

People sometime get quite a bit of money for taking in children under the age of 18. They might have been doing that just to make a living. A lot of people that do that call them adopted, but actually are not legally adopted. They could have been doing that and using the money for drugs or alcohol or something.
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I think they were fleeing to California to escape Child Protective Services, who had knocked on their door a few days previously. Their neighbors stated that some of the children had come to them for food, shelter and protection, because they were abused by their parents.

It is reported that one of the parents was found to be negligent when they lived in Minnesota. So, there seems to be a pattern here of abuse and moving a lot to avoid CPS.

If these parents had been abusing the children, then it is plausible to me that they would be capable of committing suicide and murdering the children by driving off a cliff.

Such a horrible, unfathomable tragedy.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Virginia, yes, I'd thought of that too, but the word "adopted" made me think it wasn't motivated by money. But, you could be right that they might have still been fostering them and collecting, only calling them "adoptions".

Rose, one complaint and admission 7 years ago of abuse, I wasn't thinking that a "pattern".

Hopefully, we'll hear from those who knew them better. Some of these kids were older now, and speaking out, like in going to the neighbors for help, although I think I heard they were home schooled. Not sure how new they were to Washington, maybe they didn't know many people there. I did see one family friend speaking out on the news and highly on their behalf. Rose, I also think the news had said it wasn't unusual for them to take road trips.

I only hope that possibly the missing kids might have run away and maybe weren't in the vehicle after all. Don't know how likely that wish is though.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

This news item bothers me. I really want the other three kids to be found alive.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Me too Ann!
    Virginia

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

SuzE-Q ~

To me, the pattern is represented by the 2011 admission of spanking the child and losing control to cause bruises. Then, there is testimony by neighbors that some of the children, including Devonte, had come to them asking for food and clothing, and stating that they were being abused.

CPS was knocking on their door, and they didn't answer. The next day they vanished. A few days later, after CPS returned to their home, their car was at the bottom of a cliff.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...rities-n862246

Road trips are expensive, with gas, food, lodging, even camping. Perhaps some of those road trips were to evade authorities.

Home schooling can be a wonderful thing, and I've known many parents, whose children thrived with home schooling. But it can also be a means of avoiding outside contact. In a public or private school setting, teachers might notice signs of abuse. The children might tell others that they are being abused. But, if kept at home, that concern is nonexistent.

One of my dearest friends was a foster parent, and she was absolutely incredible. She fostered and adopted children, who had been abused by family and foster parents. Foster home abuse is more common than loving, caring, committed foster parents.

So, this is why I saw a pattern. And, this is why, when I first read about this tragedy, I wondered whether it was intentional.

I pray the other 3 children are found alive. I can't help but think of the trauma they've all experienced in their all too brief lives. Even if they are found alive, how will they be able to cope with this? And who will care for them? Where is there a loving home, with enough strength to help them to heal?

I see that photo of Devonte in the officer's arms, with tears streaming down his cheeks. I wonder, was he seeking refuge from his torturous life?

Heartbreaking.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 04-03-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I'm afraid that the 3 missing children must have been killed as well. If missing persons show no sign of turning up in the first 24-72 hours, the outlook is grim.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

It's looking very much as if this "accident" was intentional. Nobody was wearing a seatbelt.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...ltr_strybutton

It's all too easy for families to stash themselves away somewhere and get away with abuse and neglect. I've noticed that so far the reports have included almost no comments from friends, neighbors, or relatives. Is that maybe because no one knew much about this family?

It won't be the first time this kind of thing (abuse and neglect) has come to light after many years of being ignored or not known about. Home schooling of course makes it very easy to keep the kids out of situations where they could report something.

And this particular family must have had at least one adult who was completely unhinged.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast