Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on finding shoes for foot drop

Default Feedback on finding shoes for foot drop

Hello everyone!
    one of my close friends has foot drop, and she has struggled over the past two years to find stylish shoes that she is able to wear. She uses an FES device and several different braces. I would love to hear from the community about your experience -- whether you have had similar experience or have been able to find something that works. Her biggest challenge is to find sandals and dress shoes; tennis shoes and boots seem to be "ok" with what exists on the market.
    look forward to learning more from you,
    thank you!
    Juli

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I use a device for footdrop called a Walkaide. Expensive but my insurance eventually paid. It is an electrical device that straps to your leg, senses when you are trying to lift your leg and does the lifting for you. Sophisticated electronics. $5,000.00 but useful.

I wear Arcopedico for dress shoes. I wear the ones that tie. They are flat. Made from a neat looking material that stretches and has good support which you would not guess by looking at them. It is my idea of great looking and I especially like my red ones! Probably not everyone’s sense of a shoe to wear to a symphony performance but since I live in a college area I see others with the same shoes.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 03-24-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Welcome Juli!

Linda, I like these shoes. :-)

https://m.zappos.com/b/arcopedico/brand/9

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 03-24-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Juli, welcome!

Fashion and comfort don't often go together but if you keep looking, you can often find something both comfortable and attractive.

Your friend might find something you like here:

https://www.healthyfeetstore.com/con...mmodation.html
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Welcome Juli!

Linda, I like these shoes. :-)

https://m.zappos.com/b/arcopedico/brand/9

ANN
    Yup! Those are the ones that have been my dress shoes for decades. I have them in many different colors.
    They are vegetarian shoes! I have so many pairs now that the older ones are the ones I use just out and about.
    The original model I used was not one with laces...but I like the laced ones best.

I recommend them to anyone with bunions. The material stretches but is very, very strong.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

thank you everyone for your responses!! Appreciate it. I will check those shoes out.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I would like to try a pair of the arcopedicos, but they don't seem to come in narrow, only medium which I cannot wear.
    Virginia

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, it seems odd that Arcopedicos aren't offered in a variety of widths but apparently they aren't. They're made of such a flexible material that maybe the medium width, which is all they seem to have, works for everyone?

If you lace up the shoe tightly enough, you might have the narrow shoe you need?

Zappo's has a policy of letting you return items for a year if they're unworn. You can order shoes, try them on, then return them if they're not right for you. You could try them out and see, or ask their chat-people online about the width issue.

In a lifetime of shopping for shoes, I've never known of a shoe that came in only one width but that's what the Arcopedicos shoes are doing.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Virginia, it seems odd that Arcopedicos aren't offered in a variety of widths but apparently they aren't. They're made of such a flexible material that maybe the medium width, which is all they seem to have, works for everyone?

If you lace up the shoe tightly enough, you might have the narrow shoe you need?

Zappo's has a policy of letting you return items for a year if they're unworn. You can order shoes, try them on, then return them if they're not right for you. You could try them out and see, or ask their chat-people online about the width issue.

In a lifetime of shopping for shoes, I've never known of a shoe that came in only one width but that's what the Arcopedicos shoes are doing.
    Yes. The stretchy material can be pulled tighter or looser and I imagine you are correct. I also like the return policy at Zappos. I also like that I can call and actually talk too a person. Imagine that!
    Linda~~~~

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I do not wear any that I have to lace up and tie. That is much too hard for me. I want the slip on ones. Plus, if I remember correctly, I believe they come a little large. That is from reading. My feet swell terribly if I try to lace anything up. So I have had to stop wearing tennis shoes also.
    Virginia

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast