Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: immune disease

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yes i am taking ocrevus. after a long and unfair battle with insurance.

ill be honest with you, i had great hopes and expectations from this drug b ut so far nothing exiting, i only had thee first 2 sessions at 2 weeks apart about 6 months ago. in april im due for the big dose, the one they say worked for many people.
    we will see.

how they discovered diabetes is interesting.
    i was done with my first infusion and ready to go when the nurse came in with the readings for my vitals.
    she said it all looks good except that your blood sugar is 400.
    well , next was the er where they stabilized it and i left with rx for self injectible insulin
    I'm sorry you have diabetes. I know a few diabetics. From what I understand Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder where the cells that make insulin are attacked by the body. Type 2 is mostly caused by life style factors but recently it has been shown to have a genetic component. They are finding people with certain genes like South Asians from India are more likely to be insulin resistant despite not having some of the lifestyle risk factors but the exact reasons are unknown. Common secondary conditions with both types are stroke, heart attack and kidney issues as I'm sure the drs mentioned. Good trick for blood sugar checks my friend uses is to take blood from the side of the finger and not the tip. Much less painful.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Hi atlantis.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    mine is type 2 diabetes and was disovered by mistake after an infusion of ocrevus and steroids
    Your blood sugar was checked after you received IVSM? If this is the case it's possible you don't have Diabetes. Steroids can raise blood sugar but once you're done with steroids your blood sugar levels usually returns to normal. I would be concerned they jumped too quickly about diabetes. However, steroids have the potential for causing Diabetes. One of the many permanent side effects of steroids is Steroid induced Diabetes.
    AKA....Snoopy

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy1 View Post
    Hi atlantis.

Your blood sugar was checked after you received IVSM? If this is the case it's possible you don't have Diabetes. Steroids can raise blood sugar but once you're done with steroids your blood sugar levels usually returns to normal. I would be concerned they jumped too quickly about diabetes. However, steroids have the potential for causing Diabetes. One of the many permanent side effects of steroids is Steroid induced Diabetes.
    Good point, sleepy1--and WELCOME!

More on steroid-induced diabetes:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/steroid-i...-diabetes.html
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I've had the steroids twice. I hated them because I couldn't sleep for days after getting them. But of all the warnings given, I have just one. I feel pretty safe about not developing diabetes.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12