Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: immune disease

New Community Member

Default immune disease

Hi everybody,
    i am usually just reading the posts and rarely post . mainly because i don't have anything important to say.
    however, i have been recently diagnosed with diabetes. doctor mentioned it is common for people with compromised immune system .
    did anybody else experience this? develop some other immune system condition ?

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi everybody,
    i am usually just reading the posts and rarely post . mainly because i don't have anything important to say.
    however, i have been recently diagnosed with diabetes. doctor mentioned it is common for people with compromised immune system .
    did anybody else experience this? develop some other immune system condition ?
    Hi atlantis, and welcome back!

I'm not sure which type of diabetes you're talking about--Type 1 or Type 2. If it's Type 2, I think that it hasn't yet been established as an autoimmune disorder but Type 1 has been:

http://www.diabetes.org/research-and...r-for-t1d.html

MS is increasingly seen as an autoimmune disease, I'm pretty sure.

Please don't worry about whether you have anything "important" to say. What's important to one person at one time may be trivial to someone else or to that same person at another time. The point is that this space is being provided for us to post in. Brought to you without ads!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

New Community Member

thanks Agate. truth is that i owe everybody on this board a huge thank you. many times, at my darkest hours, i was able to see the light on the other side by reading everybody experience, feeling uplifted by the great sense of community this board is able to inspire.

i stand corrected . i thought the entire diabetes spectrum was under autoimmune disorders.

mine is type 2 diabetes and was disovered by mistake after an infusion of ocrevus and steroids

6. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

If you had to post only important things, they wouldn't even let me in. Welcome, and join in.

8. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I wouldn't have got in the door either.

atlantis, you're taking Ocrevus? It would be interesting to know your experiences with it.

How was Type 2 diabetes accidentally discovered in your case?

I have Type 2 diabetes but it was suspected when ketones showed up in a lab test, and that led to the diagnostic process.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

New Community Member

yes i am taking ocrevus. after a long and unfair battle with insurance.

ill be honest with you, i had great hopes and expectations from this drug b ut so far nothing exiting, i only had thee first 2 sessions at 2 weeks apart about 6 months ago. in april im due for the big dose, the one they say worked for many people.
    we will see.

how they discovered diabetes is interesting.
    i was done with my first infusion and ready to go when the nurse came in with the readings for my vitals.
    she said it all looks good except that your blood sugar is 400.
    well , next was the er where they stabilized it and i left with rx for self injectible insulin

Distinguished Community Member

Atlantis, sorry about the added diagnosis of diabetes. However, I wanted to say welcome and come on in and join us. We just like to hear what others are up to and keep up with the other people on here.

Please let us know how you feel about Ocrevus after you have the next infusion next month. We are always interested, and when it comes to new meds that are out there we are even more interested.
    Virginia

13. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Hi Atlantis,
    I am near you in Massachusetts right near the Suffield line.

I read what you said about Ocrevus. My reaction was to say...”wait !!!” This is not like taking an aspirin and your headache is gone. I have been on rituxan (which is identical to Ocrevus) for 4-5 years now. You are probably not getting the full dose yet??

Anyway, it was after my first year on rituxan that I saw significant improvement. But I stopped getting worse so fast right from the start. Then slowly I noticed I could do something better than before. And so on. That’s the way it went. A slow accumulation of improvements.

Have faith and be patient. Don’t expect to see big changes because you might miss small improvements that build on each other.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

15. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Hi Atlantis, just you’re being here and telling us what you said is a very valuable contribution. I hope you feel comfortable enough to stay!

And yes, I got a bunch of autoimmune problems: asthma, allergies, sarcoidosis, Stiff Person Syndrome, thyroid disease, common variable Immune Deficiency. GEESH! What the heck was my mom smoking during the pregnancy ?
    Last edited by Sunshine; 03-25-2018 at 11:43 AM.

17. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yes i am taking ocrevus. after a long and unfair battle with insurance.

ill be honest with you, i had great hopes and expectations from this drug b ut so far nothing exiting, i only had thee first 2 sessions at 2 weeks apart about 6 months ago. in april im due for the big dose, the one they say worked for many people.
    we will see.

how they discovered diabetes is interesting.
    i was done with my first infusion and ready to go when the nurse came in with the readings for my vitals.
    she said it all looks good except that your blood sugar is 400.
    well , next was the er where they stabilized it and i left with rx for self injectible insulin
    atlantis, wondering when in April you're getting the Ocrevus?

19. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast