Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kathleen update....

Distinguished Community Member

Default Kathleen update....

We're taking Kathleen back to Shriner's first thing tomorrow morning. There's something wrong with her foot. She seemed to have a small blister for a bit. Last night her foot was swollen and looked bruised. I'm not sure if it's infect somewhere inside or if there's structural something going on or both. Her arch seemed to have collapsed (the same one that she had surgery on 2 years ago.) then she got the blister because there was so much pressure on the one area. Now this... I'll keep you posted when I know something.

Mary Grace

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace & Kathleen)))))) ~

Oh, I'm so very sorry to hear this! And things seemed to be going so well for her. Prayers for safe travels and healing prayers for an easy remedy to whatever is happening to her foot. My thoughts will be with you tomorrow.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

4. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

I'm so sorry. I hope you find out what is going on and that Kathleen's foot heals ASAP. Prayers all goes well.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

6. The following user says "thanks"

Thank you Rose and funny legs for your prayers! Kathleen had X-rays and saw the Dr. (not her surgeon because she's on vacation). No fractures or broken bones thank god, that was our worse fear. No infection either. Her foot actually looked a little better bye morning. they adjusted her brace so her foot can heal, it's still a little swollen, red and bruised. Best thing the Dr. could come up with is that the looser cord allowed the foot to be in a different position and the brace didn't fit correctly. My only issue with this explanation and her PT agreed is it fit great for 3 weeks without a problem and this seemed to come on so sudden...We go back in 2 weeks and see her surgeon so I think we'll get more information. I got the distinct feeling he didn't want to step into another surgeon's patient so we ruled out the emergency things that could be doing it and we'll try the brace. Brace lady (who I love!) said try it if there's any problem don't wear it and we'll figure it out in 2 weeks when we come back. She wore it a coupe hours today and did ok. I'll keep you posted. Thank you again for the prayers.
    Mary Grace

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mg12061 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you Rose and funny legs for your prayers! Kathleen had X-rays and saw the Dr. (not her surgeon because she's on vacation). No fractures or broken bones thank god, that was our worse fear. No infection either. Her foot actually looked a little better bye morning. they adjusted her brace so her foot can heal, it's still a little swollen, red and bruised. Best thing the Dr. could come up with is that the looser cord allowed the foot to be in a different position and the brace didn't fit correctly. My only issue with this explanation and her PT agreed is it fit great for 3 weeks without a problem and this seemed to come on so sudden...We go back in 2 weeks and see her surgeon so I think we'll get more information. I got the distinct feeling he didn't want to step into another surgeon's patient so we ruled out the emergency things that could be doing it and we'll try the brace. Brace lady (who I love!) said try it if there's any problem don't wear it and we'll figure it out in 2 weeks when we come back. She wore it a coupe hours today and did ok. I'll keep you posted. Thank you again for the prayers.
    Mary Grace
    Thanks for the update! I remember when I wore AFOs/braces my PT said to constantly check to see if the AFO shifted or caused foot problems so it may be that on some days she has more tension in her foot and that causes her foot to change position and lead to injury. Given Kathleen's strokes I have to think her body/brain is wired in a similar way to my CP brain. Just a thought. Prayers.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

10. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace))))))) ~

Thank you for the update. I'm very grateful that Kathleen doesn't have a break or an infection. I will pray that the swelling will subside with the adjustment and/or with removing the brace until you can see Kathleen's surgeon.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

We went back t Shriners last wee to see Kathleen's surgeon. She was a bit stumped by what had happened to her foot. Seemed to be a pretty severe reaction to the brace but in the end she does need a different fit. They casted her for a whole new AFO instead of trying to work with the other one. She wants her foot in a little different position. She showed us and it made sense and looked like a good plan.

Yesterday Kathleen started crying about her belly about 2am. First thing I thought of was gluten, but it was quite a long stretch since she had eaten and I couldn't think of anything that would have contaminated her. then I got things ready in case it was a bug and she would vomit. She cried throughout the morning and started to complain about her throat. She had big burps so I thought maybe her reflux. It then got really bad and she was crying so hard with those eyes like "help me"! I was checking her BP and temp all throughout. By 6pm she spiked a fever. this meant we had to brave the urgent care!!! We bundled up and took her sitting closely to eat other not touching anything. Quick test confirmed what I thought at this point strep! She's never had this in fact none of my kids have. they gave her an antibiotic with there so we didn't have to rush to the pharmacy. She slept a little better and seems to be feeling better already this morning. This is why I get scared taking her out in to public places! It was probably either her bowling on Sunday or Movies on Saturday...
    Mary Grace

13. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace & Kathleen)))))) ~

Oh! I'm so so sorry that Kathleen has strep! I'm praying the antibiotics kick in quickly, with no side effects.

This must have been so scary for both of you. That's a long night. And then Urgent Care ~ I know how you probably dreaded going there. Me too.

I'm so glad that Kathleen is responding well to the antibiotic ~ May it continue to be so.

You know, there are germs everywhere. I'm sure that people think that I'm a germaphobe, because I am. And for good reason. For people with compromised immune systems, an opportunistic germ can be devastating. But, we can't live in bubbles. We can only be as careful as possible, and make sure to wash our hands, keep them away from our faces, etc.

We can't escape the germs on a bowling ball or a theater seat. But we also can't stop doing things we enjoy and being active.

I know your dilemma, Mary Grace.

Many healing prayers on the way ~

Love & Light,

Rose

15. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Glad you are getting a whole new AFO. Based on personal experience I think a new AFO is the best option. I remember once I insisted on a brand new AFO and was glad I did. I'm so sorry Kathleen has strep! I'm glad you caught it though.

17. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

How is Kathleen? Is she responding well to the antibiotic? Healing prayers for Kathleen and your family that no one else gets strep.

Love & Light,

Rose

19. The following user says "thanks"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast