Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food...I have been cooking this morning and....everything is good!

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default Food...I have been cooking this morning and....everything is good!

Hi..

I should have put OT in the subject line but forgot! Sorry.

I was looking for the lazy cooking with Cat thread but, it has thousands of posts...(not thousands but it was in the hundreds).

So, tomorrow my friends and I will select an opera to watch on her tv. She has a subscription to The metropolitan and there are hundreds of performances to choose from. So, we make a day of it and have food too.
    For tomorrow’s event I made:
    1. An old fashioned egg custard pudding. It set up correctly and has the most delicate flavor which I will top with a thin apricot glaze.
    2. A salad of our own Persian cucumbers (sweet, seedless, crisp and organic), blueberries, feta cheese and our own sungold tomatoes. White balsamic vinegarette. Scrumptious.
    3. Ricotta balls topped with a roasted tomato sauce. The balls came out very light and are incredibly tasty. I baked them. I did combine the thinking in 2 different recipes and it came out so good that it will now be a go-to recipe. It is delicate and unique. I only hope they do not fall apart when I heat them up in the sauce tomorrow.

Gosh, this feels so good. I was thinking clearly and everything is interesting and good tasting. Tomorrow will be my triumph over MS day!
    Last edited by Lazarus; 03-17-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I am willing to listen to opera for a taste of that food. As I have aged, almost 68, I did acquire a taste for classical music and jazz. Life beyond the Beatles. No ear for opera-yet.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am willing to listen to opera for a taste of that food. As I have aged, almost 68, I did acquire a taste for classical music and jazz. Life beyond the Beatles. No ear for opera-yet.

ANN
    Now that I am older I think it is the best to listen to opera the way Shakespeare’s plays were viewed in their original time. People walked around and talked. We used to watch the operas in a formal way. Now we eat, listen and talk and laugh and move around. And we enjoy the music so very much.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 03-18-2018 at 04:01 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

This sounds like an exciting food adventure!

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

May I please place my order for the cucumber salad. You can beam it to me. Sounds so very good and refreshing.
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd put up with opera for the salad alone though the other items sound tasty too.
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

You ladies are taking a chance. You had better let me,the official food taster, try a little bit of everything to make sure it's up to our standards.
    Last edited by Howie; 03-17-2018 at 05:10 PM.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I'd love the recipe for the ricotta balls. :) (I could do a joke here.. "Ricotta balls?? I didn't know ricottas HAD balls!!" but I won't go there...)

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd love the recipe for the ricotta balls. :) (I could do a joke here.. "Ricotta balls?? I didn't know ricottas HAD balls!!" but I won't go there...)
    I just got home. Great, long day. I will come back tomorrow. I had two recipes and used elements of both. Great. Even warmed up or room temp. Only takes 20 minutes to bake. Super easy..sort of...
    Good night.
    Linda
    Linda~~~~

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

CatDancer,
    As promised. This is the basic recipe I used for ricotta balls. One cookbook suggested sautéing them in butter and the one I have here suggested simmering them in tomato sauce. The balls are so delicate in flavor that I would bake them as in the recipe and then splash a very light tomato sauce on them. Or prepare an olive oil and herb dressing to sprinkle on them. Tomato sauce is too heavy for them. AAND, they tasted great just plain and at room temp.

They are really easy.
    Ricotta Balls

2 cups (500 gr tub) of strained ricotta cheese ( I did not strain it but used whole milk which was on the dry side)
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup of fine bread crumbs
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp cracked pepper
    First, preheat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas Mark. To being preparing the ricotta ball mixture, combine the ingredients above into a mixing bowl. Using your mixer (or good old-fashioned elbow-grease!) mix the ingredients thoroughly. After mixing roll the ricotta balls by hand using an ice cream scoop or soup spoon to size each ball evenly. Don’t make them too big! Place each ball on a lightly oiled or non-stick baking sheet and bake them for 20 minutes while the tomato sauce continue to simmer. When they’re done, take them out of the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. On a dinner plate or in a shallow dish serve 1/2 – 1 cup of tomato sauce and place 4 or more ricotta balls on top of the sauce, sprinkle with a light dusting of oregano. Serve with a side of pasta or vegetables and enjoy!

Ricotta Balls with Tomato Sauce Tavola Mediterranea

In our home, we accompany this dish with Spaghetti all’Olio e Aglio or Sauteed Cicoria Greens. Another option
    Last edited by Lazarus; 03-19-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    Linda~~~~

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast