Thread: Essay: chronic illness and relationships

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Essay: chronic illness and relationships

This gal has Stiff Person Syndrome but itís easily applied to MS.

Some of this really rings true. Losing friends except those of the heart.
    https://themighty.com/2016/09/losing...are-diagnosis/

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Thank you for this Sunshine. I have lost so many friends that I have lost track of how many it is, due to not being able to GO, DO and BE what I use to be.
    Virginia

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

People do drift away, very unfortunately. Maybe it's just that they feel they have enough trouble in their lives and can't stand having yet another problem. Of course if they genuinely liked you, they wouldn't regard you as a problem, and it hurts to realize that maybe they don't genuinely like you.

That's not the whole story, usually. They may genuinely like you but they already have people they are closer to and feel more interest in--closer emotionally or geographically, people they've known longer than they've known you, whatever. They can take only so much bad news, and some people can't take much at all.

They reach the point of emotional burnout, maybe.

But in the case of this woman, it sounds as if her own parents were very cruel to her. People can be so astonishingly brutal to one another.

But why am I astonished? History is full of instances of human barbarity and bestiality. Guess I shouldn't be surprised at all.

But it's too bad for her, and I hope her husband and other supportive people will continue to step up to the plate.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Its stories like this that remind me why my presence means so much to my chronically ill friends. I did not realize it meant so much to them until I understood that they feared rejection from me. I would never abandon my friends, especially these days when tech takes away a lot of barriers at least communication wise.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I have to work harder to maintain friendships . It’s so easy to not reach out. And so hard to be around people. Stiff Person Syndrome causes painful muscle contractions and neuropathy when I experience any positive or negative emotion. The lack of GABA causes the body to not be able to clamp down on muscle tension. Bizarre

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Sunshine, I am part of the problem and you just reminded me. I do not reach out. Actually, not because I don't care or don't want to, but most of the time I just plain do not feel like it. I have grown very inward with the exception of e-mailing, but, for the most part my friends do not e-mail or do much tech talking. They just get together the way everyone use to do.
    Virginia

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"