Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about linking to pdf files

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Question about linking to pdf files

In another thread a question came up about pdf files. Some people would appreciate being forewarned if a link being posted is to a pdf file because they are concerned about viruses.

I've often posted links to pdf files. How cautious should we be in general? Should we make a point of including a note to the effect that a link we're posting is a pdf file? Or is it up to people reading our posts to notice that it's a pdf file before clicking on the link?

I've always assumed it was up to the readers to figure out whether they wanted to click on a link but that was before I realized that there was a concern about viruses with pdf files.

I hope someone will clear this up as I might want to avoid posting links to pdf files in the future.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I don't have a problem knowing I am opening a pdf file. That is mostly what many of us open on the internet anyway.
    Virginia

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Noted Agate

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

We often don't know it's a pdf file because the full url isn't being shown.

As you know, it's only been recently that warnings have arisen of viruses being imbedded in pd files.

I'd hate for someone to have their system corrupted by a link I had provided, what's the big deal about a warning? Who's saying not to provide links at all?

I don't think it's too much trouble or too much to ask for people to post a note that the file is a pdf, given the risks, especially when, like on my system, pdfs automatically download with no prior warning when clicked on.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We often don't know it's a pdf file because the full url isn't being shown.

As you know, it's only been recently that warnings have arisen of viruses being imbedded in pd files.

I'd hate for someone to have their system corrupted by a link I had provided, what's the big deal about a warning? Who's saying not to provide links at all?

I don't think it's too much trouble or too much to ask for people to post a note that the file is a pdf, given the risks, especially when, like on my system, pdfs automatically download with no prior warning when clicked on.
    Maybe others aren't looking at enough of the URL but I always see the end of the URL showing up in a post. The URL is truncated by putting ellipses in the middle (...) but the final bit of code is always there, and there you see the pdf at the very end of the URL (if it's a .pdf file). At least that's how I know.

My question was just whether that wasn't enough. Maybe some people don't see URLs displayed in that way? Maybe those posting links to pdf files should always mention it in case people don't happen to notice or aren't getting enough of the URL?

Nobody so far as I know has said anything about not posting links at all. That certainly wasn't what I meant.

It's all good.
    Last edited by agate; 02-13-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    Maybe others aren't looking at enough of the URL but I always see the end of the URL showing up in a post, and in the post in question, it shows up, and a person can see that it's a pdf file.

My question was just whether that wasn't enough notice. Maybe those posting links to pdf files should always mention it in case people don't happen to notice or aren't getting enough of the URL?

Nobody so far as I know has said anything about not posting links at all. That certainly wasn't what I meant.

It's all good.
    The full URL doesn't always show up for me as the system will truncate it if it's lengthy.

I understand, in a dynamic forum, you can't have strict "rules" about things like this, since most people are just passing through and thus, would be unaware.

I wasn't commenting to forum members. My post was directed at the Moderator, since I assume the average poster wouldn't be aware or take precautions when posting a link, and I'll use my own judgment, or open a link on another system where I have more protections.

So yes, given the "lay" population here who are posting links, I agree with you that it's up to the end user, we can't "police" the forum over something like this. Just as I wouldn't open your links before that had the URL hidden, I can easily not open ANY links at all here if I'm concerned. No biggie.

But I was directing my comment to the Moderator, unless you're her, who also sent me a PM about this too that is now being forwarded to Mike for some reason I cannot fathom, and now this thread about it.

Not sure why this has been blown up. I agree, it's all good on my end too, talk about making a mountain....

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

For those who are interested, this is a 27 page pdf file that we at the Accelerated Cure Project in MS just composed as a result of surveys sent out to patients about their participation in research to determine if the Minority Communities were being served. I am posting it here as a test but it can certainly be deleted or we can move it to another thread if interest is there.

Accelerated Cure Project in MS recently received a PCORI Eugene Washington Engagement Award to study Minority Engagement in Research. Here are the findings for anyone who might be interested. Please feel free to share. https://www.acceleratedcure.org/site...rveyReport.pdf

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    But I was directing my comment to the Moderator, unless you're her, who also sent me a PM about this too that is now being forwarded to Mike for some reason I cannot fathom, and now this thread about it.

Not sure why this has been blown up. I agree, it's all good on my end too, talk about making a mountain....
    Just a FYI, I do not see where you directed your post to a moderator specifically. I was brought into this conversation due to what I believe is some unclear information and a little misunderstanding of what was said on both sides. There is a rule in the T.O.S. that prohibits members from discussing conversations with others (admins/mods/members) on the public forums unless the other party agrees with the posting.

Mentioning that you had a pm conversation with a mod about a subject is a grey area that is situational. In a case like this I'd call no harm no foul as no specifics from the pm were mentioned.

These rules are in place to protect the privacy of all individuals on these forums, and to help prevent flame wars from arising due to a "he said she said" in a pm conversation.

I don't agree that this situation has been blown up, it's good to get the information out that viruses can be embedded into pdfs. Please see my next post regarding the subject of links.
    Last edited by Mike Weins; 02-13-2018 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typo fix
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Ok so there is some concern about clicking on links, especially when the forum truncates the full link. I know this can be annoying (I don't like truncated links) but there is a way to see the full link without clicking on it (except for some tablets and phones). Just hover the cursor over the link and it should show you the full url of the link. This way you can decide if you want to click on it or not.

Viruses can be placed into just about anything these days. Any page on the web could have a virus, malware, adware embedded in the code (javascript, html, php, whatever). I strongly encourage everyone to have at least a basic antivirus and adware/malware package on all of their devices.

Better yet, run your internet browser through a "sandbox" which isolates it from the rest of your system. Sandboxie is free and the one I use on all of my computers and tablets (not the phone though, I don't use it for browsing or email. I'm old fashioned that way ), and it's easy to use.

Here's a link to the sandboxie FAQ page for those that are interested in learning more: https://www.sandboxie.com/HelpTopics
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Mike)))))) ~

I visited the Sandboxie site, and I couldn't find anything relevant to a Mac. I have a Mac and do not run Windows. Do you happen to know whether Sandboxie is compatible with Macs and Apple products?

Thanks for all you do for us. Hope that you are well.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast