Thread: OT: Mom's Meals

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up OT: Mom's Meals

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Jon's nurse dropped by today, and she mentioned a meal delivery service, which some of her patients are using. It's nationwide, and it is designed for seniors and people with health issues. It's called Mom's Meals.

http://www.momsmeals.com/

Menus for assorted needs are offered, eg., diabetes, heart health, cancer, etc. These are some of the details:

Only $6.99 per meal plus shipping
    ($7.99 for Pureed meals)
    Order in quantities of 7, 10, 14 or 21 meals
    Flat fee $14.95 shipping charge per order
    No long term commitment

I just wanted to share this information, in case any of you or someone you know could benefit from it.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Rose! That shipping fee doesn't seem so high when you realize you're ordering at least 7 meals.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Thank you so much Rose. I think it sounds like a really good deal for people unable to prepare their own food or unable to get to a store. I will save this info.
    Virginia

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Mom's Meals was started by a Mom and her daughter. You can read about them on their site. Jon's nurse said that her patients were complaining about Meals on Wheels, and a hospice nurse told her about Mom's Meals. The consensus among the patients is that the food is tasty, and it's very convenient. Food lasts for 14 days in the refrigerator and can be warmed in the microwave quickly.

These meals are much preferable to frozen dinners or other kinds of convenience foods, which are typically high in sodium and sometimes sugar. Their menus seems to offer a fairly good variety of meals.

And when we think about the cost of these meals, we need to also think about the cost of gas to get to the store, as well as the effort involved in shopping, loading and unloading groceries, and preparing the meals and cleaning up. I factor all of that into the cost of using Instacart now (during flu season, but I may continue thereafter), and to me, it's worth every cent. Shopping wears me out, literally.

I can see Mom's Meals working in a variety of ways too. Perhaps one Mom's Meal per day, and snacks of nuts, fruits, fresh veggies, cereal, cheese, yogurt, etc., and another easy to prepare meal, plus an Orgain shake. For those, who can't care for themselves or prepare anything, then 3 Mom's meals a day would be a way of getting proper nutrition. And, the importance of proper nutrition in healing is well known.

I'm glad that I know about Mom's Meals, because someday, we/I might need it. So, I'm happy to share this with all of you.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Excellent post Rose! And totally not off topic (OT) unless OT has morphed into On Topic!

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"