Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Facts about Stiff Person Syndrome

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Factoid #7

The zebra stripe ribbon for Stiff Person Syndrome refers to training in medical school where they teach future doctors that “when you hear hoofbeats , think of horses, not zebras! “

In other words, if a patient is having severe spasms, think of dystonia, nutritional deficits, multiple sclerosis. Do not even think about it being stiff person syndrome. This delays the diagnostic process unfortunately.

2. The following user says "thanks"

I have an even more rare form of SPS. My variant is called Jerking Stiff Man Syndrome. And there are others!! I have found people all over the world with Stiff Person Syndrome; I just have yet to talk to someone else with my variant. And yes, we want to talk and reach out to others when we are able! I have a Facebook page called Stiff Person Syndrome Support Group USA, if you are interested!

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Factoid #7

The zebra stripe ribbon for Stiff Person Syndrome refers to training in medical school where they teach future doctors that “when you hear hoofbeats , think of horses, not zebras! “

In other words, if a patient is having severe spasms, think of dystonia, nutritional deficits, multiple sclerosis. Do not even think about it being stiff person syndrome. This delays the diagnostic process unfortunately.
    I have found that is true, and with our average of 7 years to be diagnosed, it is really frustrating! (My diagnosis took more than 20 years!!)

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Welcome scribblesdizzles! Great name BTW

Yes, good job on making the FB site. I go to as many SPS sites as possible including FB. Each seems to offer something unique. I read onthe two FB sites :) people do a nice job of supporting one another.

Distinguished Community Member

wrong thread
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 02-05-2018 at 07:16 PM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

9. The following user says "thanks"

Factoid #8

Despite its rarity, there is serious research on SPS. In http://www.igliving.com/magazine/art...n-Syndrome.pdf , it talks about very current research in progress on stem cell cures for Stiff Person Syndrome:

Re the researching stem cell transplantation for SPS. Th article says there is “great hope ...being placed on auto-HSCT, with Dr. Georges presenting in May at the American Society for Apheresis 2017 Annual Meeting on “Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Autoimmune Neurologic Diseases: Multiple Sclerosis and Stiff Person’s Syndrome.”
    Last edited by Sunshine; 02-06-2018 at 01:37 PM.

11. The following user says "thanks"

Fact #9

Many people with Stiff Person Syndrome experience much less pain and stiffness during a nights sleep.

13. The following user says "thanks"

Fact #10

In general, people with Stiff Person Syndrome “experience more symptoms and falls during times of physical or emotional stress, cold weather, and intercurrent infections.”—https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3335758/
    Last edited by Sunshine; 02-09-2018 at 01:07 PM.

15. The following user says "thanks"

Fact #11

There are some rare forms of Stiff Person Syndrome that are due to Paraneoplastic Syndrome. The person has a cancer and might not know it yet. The immune system Ramps up to fight the cancer and goes haywire attacking other organ. In SPS case it’s the central nervous system: brain and spinal cord.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355687

Fact #12

Due to insufficient GABA, emotions such as excitement, anger, happiness etc cause muscle stiffening. The pain from that can cause a person with Stiff Person Syndrome to isolate self from social situations, causing loneliness and depression,

18. The following user says "thanks"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast