Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fear of Flu

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unhappy The Girl In the Blanket

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Last night, we had heavy rain for several hours, and when I went to bed at 3 a.m., it was pouring. I didnít think Iíd be able to go to the store today, but the sun was shining, when I woke up. So, off I went.

I donned my mask before I entered the store.

The produce aisle beckoned with all its organic goodies, but I was on a mission, and I can get produce through Instacart. I did reach up to get some mushrooms, and as I did, another container of mushrooms tumbled down, knocked a purple cabbage, and both fell on the floor. I didnít know what to do with them, as they shouldnít go back up on the shelf, so I just pushed them aside out of the path of the carts.

When I left the produce section, I encountered a young woman, wrapped in a fleece blanket, holding it closed with her hands. She looked ill. I could see it in her eyes.

I moved away from her as quickly as possible, picked up the items I needed from that aisle and moved to the next aisle. Then, I went to the soup aisle, and there she was again! ACK! And again in the bread aisle!

In my head, I exclaimed, ďReally, Lord?! Come on!Ē

I whisked through the rest of the store to get to the vitamins. They only had 4 bottles of our multivitamins on the shelf. I took all of them. And only one bottle of our D3. ACK! I came here to buy LOTS of Vitamins so I donít have to come back for awhile.

I pulled up to the checkout stand, and as always, I have a cart full of stuff, where most shoppers just carry a basket, with a few items, or even just carry things in their hands/arms, or go to the cafe or the juice bar. I buy out half the store, even today.

Guess who showed up behind me? Yes! The girl in the blanket!!! Once again, ďWhy, Lord?!Ē

This time an older man accompanied her, and they had three small items. She wandered around the store following me ~ ME THE OLD LADY WEARING A MASK! And she only had 3 items!

The box/bag person, a young man, obviously disabled, was being trained by the supervisor, as my groceries were piling up. Meanwhile, Iím standing next to Ms. Flu 2018. The young man was doing his best, but it wasnít going too well. I asked as always, ďPlease donít make the bags too heavy.Ē The supervisor assured me theyíd be okay. Nope. Really really heavy, as I learned when I loaded them into the van.

I managed to get out of the store within a half an hour. I was so glad to get home.

How I wish I could write a letter to the blanket girl. It would read:

Iím truly sorry that you are ill. I am. No one deserves to get this horrible flu. Including me. And all of the other people you exposed your illness to in the store today.

I am old and vulnerable, and if I get the flu, devastation will befall my family. My husband and son could possibly die from this flu. I am their caregiver, so if I get the flu, I canít care for them.

What could have been so urgent in the store today that required you to be there? Why couldnít the man who accompanied you take care of your needs, while you waited in the car, or better yet, at home?

Please think about the risk you present to others, when you go out in public, when youíre clearly ill.

Even though I was wearing a mask, I still will worry that being near you may have infected me. I donít need that extra stress, but because you made that decision today, I have to deal with it.

I hope you feel better soon. Please stay home and away from others until you do.

Iím angry about it, but I have to let it go, because itís done and canít be undone.

Of course ~ just look at the title of this thread!

Thanks for listening! Be well and avoid people in public places wrapped in fleece blankets.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

2. The following user says "thanks"

www.iherb.com for your supplement needs!

4. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((callyflower)))))) ~

Thank you for the link. I have purchased from iherb in the past for things like eucalyptus oil.

We take a multivitamin for "mature adults." It is only available at the store, where I shopped yesterday, as it is their brand.

We tried another mature adult vitamin, when we couldn't find this one (another store carried it under their name, then gave it up to this store). That was 2012, and Jon was in the hospital then after a horrid seizure and pneumonia. My feet were so swollen that I could barely put on my moccasins. I usually wear my walking shoes in the hospital, because I'm on my feet a lot and have to walk distances to get to the room and to help, when Jon moves from ICU to Step Down.

I finally figured out that it was something in the new vitamin and stopped taking it. My swelling ceased. So, I don't want to take anything other than this vitamin, which we've been taking for over a decade.

I checked iherb for our Vitamin D3, which is Whole Earth and Sea brand. While they do carry some WE&S vitamins, I couldn't find the D3. We take this brand, because it is made from lichens, instead of lanolin.

In all of the years that we've been going to the store, this is the first time either one of us has encountered an obviously sick person in the store. As you can tell, it really stressed me out!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

Distinguished Community Member

OMG! I hear you! This is why it spreads like wild fire! I'm so sorry for this added stress. It's amazing how unaware people can be of the hazards of germs and spreading it. Praying extra hard for your family's good health!
    Mary Grace

Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

Thank you so much for your prayers, and please know we pray for all of you too.

So far, I'm fine. Hopefully her germs didn't hop on me!

Stay well!

Love & Light,

Rose

Blog Entries

Exclamation Just When I Thought It Might Be Safe ...

A few days ago, I discovered that one of our preferred grocery stores was added to our Instacart service. I was very happy about this, because they sell products, which other stores do not. Their store brand organic veggie pizzas, made in Italy (oh so yummy!), Zen Bakery muffins, our favorite organic breads and cheeses.

They also carry a large line of vitamins and supplements. I was hoping to get our Whole Earth and Sea Vitamin D3, but they only had 5,000 iu, which is twice as much as we take per day.

I placed the order on line today and communicated via the website with our shopper, Andrew. Weíve had many different shoppers since we began the Instacart service a few months ago, and theyíve all been very efficient, friendly and nice.

Andrew was quite speedy and stayed in touch with me on the website. When he arrived, I donned my flu mask and gloves, and I explained to Andrew, as I do to all shoppers, ďI have a vulnerable family, so I need to be safe. Thatís why Iím not at the stores myself, and youíre shopping for me. Thank you!Ē

To this Andrew said, ďWell, thatís a very good idea. Iíve been dealing with a scratchy throat and a bit of a headache since Wednesday. But, Iím okay.Ē

UGH!

I carried in the bags wearing gloves, and everything I ordered I cleaned on the outside with alcohol wipes. I rarely buy unpackaged produce for this reason.

Andrew may or may not have the flu, but his symptoms indicate that he has some kind of an infection.

As I was telling Jim about Andrew, I observed, ďOf course, everything we buy has been handled by who knows how many people!Ē

Iím trying not to turn into Howard Hughes! But Iíve become obsessed with germs now, because of Jim and Jon and their vulnerability. And mine, Ďcause I ainít no spring chicken either!

Hereís the most recent CDC flu overview for the U.S.:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Scroll down the page to see the maps of the U.S.

Our activity level is minimal and local. That is encouraging.

Stay well everyone! Healing prayers always on their way for you!

Love & Light,

Rose

Get the 5K iu Vit D. Just take it every other day. I do 50K iu every 2 weeks. It isn't needed daily.

Distinguished Community Member

Public Service Announcement:

Just a note on Vit D. It is stored in fat, not eliminated like Vit C. Vit D can be very toxic unless you have a low level and are taking a prescribed amount. This is the case in MS and probably other situations but not in the general population. In either case, Vit D levels need to be monitored to be safe.

Amen

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

11. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

callyflower and ANN ~

Thank you for your suggestions and cautions.

We've been taking this same dose every day for nearly 20 years. Our bodies are used to only having 2,800 iu per day (800 iu in our multi vitamin; 2,000 iu in our WE&S D3 supplement). I'm not sure we want to change anything at this juncture, since it's been working for us for so long, and Jim is battling cancer.

I can't recall whether Jim had his D level taken a few years ago, when he had the horrible RA flare (pre-cancer diagnosis).

I did quite a bit of research on line about D3, and I remember many discussions on BT about D3. Based upon that, and the fact that Jim and I have RA, and we don't get out into the sunshine enough to get it that way, we decided on this dose.

ANN ~ I remember Abby on the MS forum became seriously ill from Vitamin D toxicity. You are so right that Vitamin D overdose can be dangerous.

I can get the 1,000 iu at Mother's ~ the grocery store, which carries our multivitamins (and where I encountered the girl in the blanket). I might even find a place to order them on line. I just haven't looked yet. I will need to go to Mother's sometime in May to stock up on our multis and D3. Unfortunately, it is a small chain and isn't on Instacart.

Maybe I can suggest to the other store to get in a supply of the 1,000 iu, since I am a very regular customer there, and have been for many years.

Thank you all for your love and support! Be well and stay healthy!

Love & Light,

Rose

13. The following user says "thanks"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123