Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear of Flu

Hybrid View

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Fear of Flu

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

After watching a local news interview with a Mother discussing the death of her healthy 26 year old daughter as a result of this current flu, I began developing a serious fear of flu. I have that fear every year, but this year it is more pronounced, because this strain is virulent and worse than any strain in a decade. Moreover, the flu shot doesnít really affect this strain.

I ordered anti-viral masks on line, which are supposed to protect up to 99% against the flu and other viruses. Iíve worn a lot of masks in my lifetime, and these are top notch. Jim will wear these masks, when he has his MRI and CAT scan and to his doctor appointments, and infusions whenever they start again.

We are restricting visitors, including John now. He was here on Monday to turn Jon, and he put on the anti-viral mask, then told us that he had a ďscratchy throat.Ē Agh! He said it was likely his allergies. But John works with the public every day, has a large and close knit family, goes to concerts, church, movies, restaurants, and other places with crowds. His 15 year old daughter is a local volleyball star, and sheís around kids all day. His wife travels a lot. All of this puts him at risk. Although in all the years we have known him, John has never had a cold or the flu. But this year is different, and heís nearly 50, and things change as we age. We just canít risk it.

Just hours after John turned Jon, at 3 a.m. Tuesday, Jim and I discovered that Jonís catheter had slid out considerably and his bed was soaking wet. So, we had no choice. We had to bathe him and turn him to change his bed. Jim insisted he could do it, and he did, without any stress or strain.

Jonís nurse visited yesterday to change his cath and trache, and of course, she donned the mask. Prior to her arrival, Jim bathed Jon, while I cleaned the house (her visit was unexpected; we thought she would be here next week). Then, we turned him and changed his linens and wound care pads. Again, no stress or strain for Jim.

John was expecting to come over to turn Jon tonight, so I texted him and explained everything to him. He completely understands. Heís glad that Jim is able to turn Jon, because it means that Jim is stronger than he has been in the past year. John wants to be here to help us in any way that he can, but he also recognizes that he could be coming down with the flu and not know it, which would mean weíd all be exposed.

Jim and Jon are the most vulnerable, and we fully recognize that if either one of them got the flu, they would likely end up in ICU on a vent. Iím vulnerable too given my age and my RA/PA, which affects my immune system. Iím also severely sleep deprived and under tremendous stress. So we must be vigilant in avoiding the flu.

Thankfully, Instacart is now in our area serving 2 of our regular groceries, as well as Whole Foods (where I donít shop, because itís a half hour drive from our home, but now I can shop at WF on line). So, I can order our groceries on line and have them delivered to our home, thereby avoiding the store and public contact.

Today, I ordered from Albertsonís, and the groceries were delivered in 2 hours. Jim fell asleep waiting/watching for her, so they phoned us to let me know she was here. I greeted the delivery person wearing a mask and gloves, and she kind of chuckled. I explained, ďI have vulnerable family members and we have to protect against the flu.Ē She said that she understood. She was very quiet putting the bags inside the door, and she could see Jim on his futon bed sleeping. She whispered, bless her heart.

No loose fresh fruit or veggies for awhile though, but I did get bags of carrots, celery, green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, etc. And there are plenty of organic frozen veggies and fruits.

It was so nice to not have to get ready at 9 a.m. to get to the stores before the noon rush. Showering, drying my hair, makeup, dressing to be in public. Then driving, parking, in and out of our huge van, walking around the store for an hour, loading, unloading, carrying in the groceries. Itís exhausting.

Iím so grateful that this option exists. I figure that my time, energy, health and well being are worth the cost of the service. Not to mention not risking getting the flu in large, public places.

Today, we also had our bottled water delivered (cases of bottles, not the big cooler bottles anymore). And, Jonís supplies were delivered. Jim took care of them, wearing mask and gloves.

For Jonís and Jimís prescriptions, we have a drive thru pharmacy. I wonít be driving to the stores, so we wonít need to get gas in the van as often.

This evening, I told Jim that when he gets home from his tests or doctor/infusion appointments, he will as always take off his clothes (which I take directly out to the laundry), but now, heís going to take a shower and put on clean clothes. We havenít done the showering in the past, but now is the time to do it.

Johnís mom is a retired R.N., and I remember her telling me about coming home from her shift at the hospital, and stripping down in the garage, putting her uniform/scrubs directly into the washer on hot, and then taking a shower. She said that she was probably ďused toĒ the germs, but she didnít want to bring them home to her family.

Every morning, we drink fresh squeezed orange juice. We take an excellent multi vitamin for seniors, and Whole Earth and Sea Vitamin D3 every day. We wash our hands constantly. Mine are so raw now that none of the moisturizers are working. And I wear gloves too!

Jim always wipes down the steering wheel etc. after the valet returns it to him after his appointments. We are fastidious.

We can only pray that everything we are doing is enough to protect us from this horrid flu. For us, it is a matter of life and death.

We pray for all of you that you donít get this flu or any other virus going around these days. Be safe and careful.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

My family is taking similar, but not quite as stringent methods. My husband is a PT and does home health, so is exposed to everything. He changes clothes when he comes home and I add a half scoop of Oxyclean to every laundry load, as it will even kill MRSA, which is the ever-present worry in his business. My mom had MRSA in a wound a couple of years before she died and it is no joke!

I am currently buying my groceries through a curbside service, as flu is so bad in my area that a couple of school districts have closed for a couple of days. I'm also limiting my public exposure, which was pretty low to begin with. My daughter who lives at home attends a uni with 11,000 students, so she is most at risk. We also have 3 full prescriptions of Tamiflu waiting in the medicine cabinet at all times.

As for John, as long as he is symptom free and wears a mask, I think it would be OK. Of course I assume he washes his hands before he touches Jon as well. I would suggest you keep that as an option as Jim may have an off day here and there and you need to always have an option.

Most of the masks are single use only, so keep that in mind. Also, since Jim has limited respiratory function, he may have increased difficulty breathing, shortness of breath when wearing the mask. It may even be to the point where a mask is not feasible for him. Fainting because of breathing difficulties would not be good.

Finally, I believe, as is all too common, that the media is making a big, big deal over the flu. People die every year from it. Children and the elderly are ALWAYS at more risk. It's kind of slow news period, so of course doing stories on the scary flu is good for creating unnecessary hysteria.

Last year I had very bad bronchitis twice and that was before I started the new biologic therapy, that destroys my B lymphocytes. The fear of going through that again is my main worry, so I am being extra careful.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((callyflower)))))) ~

I do remember the swine flu, and the media went bonkers over that one. In 2011, Jon was in ICU for 45 days, and people with the flu were being admitted right and left. Jon had MRSA (yes, the dreaded ... and he's had it every time he's been hospitalized), so he was in isolation. Prior to entering his room, everyone donned a gown, mask and fresh gloves. That certainly helped. One of his intensivists had it and was still working! I told him to stay away from us and just give orders to the nurses. We managed to escape without getting it.

After reading about this flu strain on the CDC website, I don't feel like the media is overselling it. On my last trip to a grocery store, I was listening to a local rock station taking requests. A woman requested "Free Bird" for her 55 year old brother, who had died from flu complications. Now, he may have had health problems making him vulnerable. But the 26 year old woman, who died, was perfectly healthy, according to her mom.

Jim is fine wearing a mask. He wore masks last year, when he started on his cancer journey, without any problems. I know it seems odd, but his SATS are usually 95-97, which is really fantastic. Dr. P told him that he has one lung, which is functioning well, so that's the reason for the great SATS. John, Jon's nurse, and Jim and I all agree that these anti-viral masks are very comfortable and well fitting and don't seem to compromise our breathing.

These are the masks:

https://www.allegromedical.com/perso...s-p574556.html

John is always available to us, so if Jim has a bad day, or somehow isn't strong enough to turn Jon, then John would be here in a flash. John washes his hands and wears gloves. However, when Jon is turned he tends to hold onto John's shirt. In fact, he reached up to touch John's face last Monday, because John had complimented him on the "nice shave your mom gave you." John was unshaven, and Jon had to point that out. I scrub Jon's hands and arms after John leaves, after anyone leaves actually.

So I'm going to order these gowns:

https://www.allegromedical.com/perso...w-p559822.html

I figure that we're basically an acute care "facility," and we might as well look like one! Whenever Jon's nurse, toenail gals, or his GI doc ask, "Do you have (fill in medical item)?", I reply, "Of course! We are a clinic here! Can't you tell?!" as I wave my arm around the room full of supplies and equipment. It's rare that they need to ask, since I have everything set up prior to their arrival.

As for being symptom free, therefore ok, well, that's not typically the case in my experience. John told us that his daughter went to a birthday party, feeling just fine, came home, and began vomiting and having diarrhea. He thought it might be food poisoning. I've had food poisoning. She had a stomach virus. He then mentioned that a few of the girls on her volleyball team had it. So, John had been exposed just a few days before he visited. And his daughter was fine, then got sick.

I remember vaguely (thankfully) getting the flu years and years ago. I was fine when I went to bed and woke up with a fever. And everyone with whom I'd interacted the day before had been exposed to my flu. I'm not sure what the incubation period is between exposure and onset. I'll have to look that up. Okay, I looked it up:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/acip/clinical.htm

The typical incubation period for influenza is 1ó4 days (average: 2 days). Most healthy adults may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick.
    That's great that you have Tamiflu on hand. Jim will ask Dr. P for a prescription for Tamiflu. Thank you for mentioning this. I didn't think we could get a script, unless we had the flu. But in Jim's case, it's definitely warranted and justifiable.

I did buy Oscillococcinum. a homeopathic flu treatment. I think I gave it to Jim many years ago for flu-like symptoms. I think. Ugh! Anyway, it's been in our cupboard for lots of years just in case. I always get a fresh supply, when it expires.

Does your husband wear a mask and a gown with his patients? I highly recommend this for his protection. And maybe implement the immediate shower when he gets home. Perhaps it would be a good idea for your daughter to also remove all of her clothes when she gets home, take a shower and put on clean clothes.

I'm glad for you that you have curbside grocery service. That is second best to home delivery (to me, anyway!).

Prayers for you, your husband and daughter, and for EVERYONE, that you do not get the flu.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I understand your fears and am also avoiding certain places to avoid flu.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hi Rose! I don't blame you at all for being so careful about flu germs in your home. It's life and death.

I am SO HAPPY that you found a service to delivery your groceries! I did a lot of research to try to find a service like that for you (I called your favourite stores when Jim first got diagnosed) and I came up empty. But now they have it - yay!!!!! What a difference it makes for you Rose. I'm so happy that you are getting at least a little break in life - one thing that's easier. I send love from Quebec to you all. John too! xoxo
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Yes learned about ordering groceries over the phone from an elderly woman and it really came in handy more than once!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~

I'm glad that you have a grocery delivery service. Praying that you are able to avoid the flu.

Donna ~

I remember and am so grateful for your search for grocery delivery for us last year. I'm so happy that it is now available. This will help me in several different ways. The products for ordering on line are less than what each store has in stock, and some of the things I would purchase in the stores are not offered. But we can do just fine with what we can get on line.

Meanwhile ...

Jim found his music stand, which he hasn't used for over a decade, and he's been practicing on his guitar every day. He is cognizant of the arthritis in his fingers/hands, taking breaks so as not to overdo. He works on sitting properly and holding the guitar to minimize back and shoulder pain. He is happy and enjoying exploring this new adventure in music.

Tomorrow, Jim will have his brain MRI, and on Thursday, he will have the chest CT scan. We await results and finding out what lies ahead.

We thank you all for walking beside us, for your love, prayers, encouragement, support, and for the blessing you are in our lives.

Love & Light,

Rose

14. The following user says "thanks"

The flu is a real scare this year! Praying for all my fellow brain talk family to stay healthy. It seems not even the vaccine is very helpful against the strain they are seeing. My family all have had the vaccine and we've always been very careful about hand washing and such. We did get the Swine fu the year it was going around and it was the sickest we've ever been. It lasted what seemed like forever. We would have a good day and then 2 more back in bed for over a month. I also wash down pretty much every surface after the little guy I babysit leaves. Kathleen just went back to school today so I'm praying she can stay healthy too. I take emergency-c everyday and apple cider vinegar, Also zinc. We don't go out to eat at all and I probably won't be taking Kathleen anywhere public for a while with her cast on. Stay safe and healthy. Also praying today for Jim's tests to go well and show good news!
    Mary Grace
    Last edited by mg12061; 01-29-2018 at 06:37 AM.

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by mg12061 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The flu is a real scare this year! Praying for all my fellow brain talk family to stay healthy. It seems not even the vaccine is very helpful against the strain they are seeing. My family all have had the vaccine and we've always been very careful about hand washing and such. We did get the Swine fu the year it was going around and it was the sickest we've ever been. It lasted what seemed like forever. We would have a good day and then 2 more back in bed for over a month. I also wash down pretty much every surface after the little guy I babysit leaves. Kathleen just went back to school today so I'm praying she can stay healthy too. I take emergency-c everyday and apple cider vinegar, Also zinc. gomovies. We don't go out to eat at all and I probably won't be taking Kathleen anywhere public for a while with her cast on. Stay safe and healthy. Also praying today for Jim's tests to go well and show good news!
    Mary Grace
    It's a real scare this year!

18. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Rose, I'm so glad that Jim is loving his music!!! This is the best news ever. I will pray extra hard over the next couple of days for the best results possible on Jim's tests. Lots of love!
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast