Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear of Flu

Distinguished Community Member

Keep up the god work! Sounds lie you're doing everything possible! I love when you are able to share your story. It's such an amazing story of love, strength, and dedication.

I'm so glad that Jim is treated with the compassion and respect he deserves.
    Mary Grace

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

Sometimes situations lend themselves to sharing our life story, and it just happened to be that way with our Instacart deliveries. I expect that these shoppers will be serving us occasionally, so I want them to know our circumstances as they shop for us.

The young man even told me about a documentary he'd seen on Amazon, titled, "The Science of Fasting." He asked if Jim was getting chemo, and then said that this documentary found that chemo patients, who fasted before their infusions, tolerated the medication better. I responded that it was interesting to hear this, when Jim says that he and other infusion patients eat while they get their infusions. The infusion nurses sometimes run around like waitresses to get snacks, beverages, and sandwiches for the patients.

I found the documentary on You Tube, since I'm not on Amazon, and I'll watch it for more information.

Everyone, except Jim's oncologist and radiology oncologist, treat him with respect and compassion. I can't make sense of that, unless the doctors are just burned out and hardened to seeing so many patients, and losing so many patients.

May everyone be flu free!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Your story is exceptional and so inspiring because it's full of love! Sorry if I've already asked this but do you write? You should write a journal or something, could end up a book... You have enough documented through BT to add to it. I know "yup in my spare time" right? It's just that I love reading your words...

I've heard about "starving the cancer" That patient fast to starve the cancer. I do't know of nay details or studies on it. I'm sure there's information out there.

Mary Grace

5. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Why Is There A Flu Season?

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Today, I found this interesting article on Popular Science about why there is a "flu season."

https://www.popsci.com/science/artic...ter-flu-season

I am not a scientist or a physician. But I have a theory about "flu season."

When do the holidays begin?

Let's start with Halloween, when kids eat too much sugar, and put their hands in buckets handled by lots of other people, open the wrappers and eat the candy. Lots of germ sharing there.

Then Thanksgiving, the busiest travel time of the year. People in airports and flying. Studies have shown that airplanes are germ carriers in giant proportions. That tray, that armrest, that pillow, that blanket (all used by the previous passengers, and not likely disinfected). An airplane is close quarters, with everyone breathing the same recycled air. Traveling is stressful and exhausting, so our immune systems are compromised.

Then we gather for the big feast, and we eat lots of carbs and sugar. We kiss and hug, sneeze and cough on each other. And the one person, who was coming down with something, or had a "cold," just had to come and not miss out on the fun.

Then, it's back on the big silver germ carrying bird to go home and spread your germs some more at work, school, the grocery store, the bank, every knob on every door you touch, every cart handle you grasp.

Not long thereafter are the December holidays. More traveling, more parties, more gatherings, more large groups, more shared meals, more carbs, fat, and sugar. More sneezing, coughing, etc. Then, it's back on the plane for home.

New Year's Eve ~ more parties, alcohol, carbs, sugar, loss of sleep ...

By now, the flu is spreading, and it's going to peak in February as usual after all of the exposure throughout the previous months. It's making the rounds.

It begins to wane, because social events have lessened, except for Valentine's Day and Easter. But those holidays aren't as compelling for travel and social gatherings as the other ones from fall to early winter.

That's my theory. And I'm sticking to it.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Don't jump for joy just yet, but the CDC says that the flu season might be leveling off:

http://time.com/5164728/2018-flu-season/

We still need to be careful, wash our hands, and avoid crowds, if possible. This flu evidently still has a few more weeks to make the rounds.

Meanwhile, Jim and I are wearing our masks, when in contact with others (for him, it's going to the doctor, for me, it's greeting Instacart shoppers delivering our groceries). Thankfully, so far, no one in John's family has had the flu, but we are still keeping him away, just in case. We really miss him! But Jim is doing okay with turning Jon.

Stay healthy, my friends!

Love & Light,

Rose

8. The following user says "thanks"

I heard that! Any small let up in this is positive news. Interesting article. I agree with your observation 100%! When my kids were younger they always got sick around busy times of the year. I'm quite sure they were run downwind not eating as good and stressed. The body can only take just so much and all of these things will affect your overall health. Combine all 3 and you're really pushing your luck. I felt like lots of times it was after a trip to the supermarket. I think this is an extremely disease ridden place, especially the carts that they were riding in. also eating out I think contributes to health, not just that the food is usually not healthy food but it's prepared by "hands" that may not be clean in an area that probably isn't clean. When Kathleen was diagnosed with moyamoya we became extremely careful about staying healthy and not that we ever ate out much we avoided that completely. "knocking wood" but she is very healthy when it comes to communicable illness.
    Mary Grace

10. The following user says "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by mg12061 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The flu is a real scare this year! Praying for all my fellow brain talk family to stay healthy. It seems not even the vaccine is very helpful against the strain they are seeing. My family all have had the vaccine and we've always been very careful about hand washing and such. We did get the Swine fu the year it was going around and it was the sickest we've ever been. It lasted what seemed like forever. We would have a good day and then 2 more back in bed for over a month. I also wash down pretty much every surface after the little guy I babysit leaves. Kathleen just went back to school today so I'm praying she can stay healthy too. I take emergency-c everyday and apple cider vinegar, Also zinc. gomovies. We don't go out to eat at all and I probably won't be taking Kathleen anywhere public for a while with her cast on. Stay safe and healthy. Also praying today for Jim's tests to go well and show good news!
    Mary Grace
    It's a real scare this year!

12. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Exclamation Flus Season Isn't Over Yet

According to the CDC, flu season is still in session. Here are two U.S. maps of the extent and level of activity of flu as of March 3:

Here's the website ~ you'll find the maps if you scroll down the page. They're interactive, so you can see the course of flu since October 2017:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm#ILIMap

I have to go to the small grocery, which carries our multivitamins and Vitamin D3, this week. It's a small chain, focused on healthy foods and vitamins/supplements, so it isn't connected to Instacart for delivery. Jon's nurse got us a 2 month supply a few months ago, but she made a special trip to do that, and I can't impose on her again. She just became a grandma! She has her hands full.

So, I'll wear the "flu mask," and only pick up a few items that I can't get elsewhere. Hopefully in and out within a half hour.

Flu season has been a stressful time for me for many years, as I try to protect our family from getting it. But this year is exceptionally stressful, because this flu is so virulent and deadly.

Praying that everyone stays healthy and avoids the flu!

Love & Light,

Rose

I will breath more easily when this flu season is over too (no Pun intended) LOL. It's been a scary one for sure. I can't imagine adding this worry to what you already have on your plate. So thankful that you can mostly get your groceries delivered, markets are just so full of germs! Prayers that all our fair here stay healthy!
    Mary Grace

Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

I'm happy that you and your family are healthy and haven't caught the bug. May it continue to be so.

Most people, who don't have a reason to fear the flu, like most of us here on BT do, just go on about their daily lives without worry. One of the Instacart delivery ladies said she'd never had the flu in her life, after I explained my flu mask to her. I said, "That's great!"

John and his family aren't worried about getting the flu. And they're all still healthy, which is wonderful.

When you're vulnerable like we are, the flu is terrifying.

I know the store well, and I won't be tempted to stray from my very short list of items. My main purpose is to get our vitamins and D3, because we need that to stay strong.

I think the flu is waning, so let's keep the faith that soon those maps will be green!

Healing prayers for all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast