Thread: CP used to cause early death?

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default CP used to cause early death?

So I just saw a movie called “Touched By Love”(To Elvis With Love) about a teenager with Cerebral Palsy and her caretaker. It was a generally good movie despite some really outdated disability attitudes given it was created in 1980. I thought it was interesting that it was a true story. Since it was a true story one part of the movie that stuck out to me was the medical staff in the movie saying that people with Cerebral Palsy die young. I have CP and I’m much older than the character and I know many people with CP who have normal and very long life spans so I was shocked by this.

Did Cerebral Palsy use to lead to an early death back in those days? Were the early deaths caused by improper care? Or complications like epilepsy?
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I heard another source say that Cerebral Palsy can be a cause of death? Is CP something that can cause death DIRECTLY? Or do secondary conditions related to CP cause death????
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php