Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medicare supplement insurance and MS special meds

Default Medicare supplement insurance and MS special meds

I just went on Medicare and found out with United Healthcare as my D insurance I will need to pay considerably more than I was with Health Alliance for Extavia and Ampyra ($9000 a year). Ampyra's assistance program told me they will not deal with Medicare. I talked to Extavia this morning and will find out tomorrow if I get assistance for it. I am in very good shape for 65 and MS. My neurologist said he was ok with me going off it at this point. However, Cat Dancer's problems after going off Betaseron (the same medication as Extavia) have me afraid. Those of you on Medicare and have good coverage for you specialty meds, what are your specialty meds and who is your insurance with? Thank you in advance for your help.
    Bookfairy

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was on Avonex for 3 year and Copaxone for nearly 3 years. Although it's been about 6 years since I stopped Copaxone and I'm not taking any MS drug now, Medicare and Medicaid covered those drugs entirely. I never paid a cent. I'm not sure that the situation is the same now but I haven't heard that it's changed.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I have a Blue Cross Blue Shield policy. It is not a part D policy.

Copaxone costs me $95 every 3 month. A bargain, I know.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Thank you for the info.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

StillstANNding,
    Is you Blue Cross a regular policy? I thought you needed a supplement with Medicare.
    Thank you,
    Bookfairy

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

You need a supplement if you don't have other insurance that is equal to or better than part D. I kept my full insurance from working. It's a large group policy.

This would also be the case if I took my husband's insurance.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I have BCBS Part D and also supplement to A and B Medicare. It covers my Meds pretty well except my asthma inhalers are pricey, especially when in the donut hole.

It doesnít cover Folbic at all. Thatís $39 per month.

My main med is IVIG which costs @25k annually and itís covered through Part A or B, not part D. Covered completely by Medicare at 80% and BCBS supplement at 20%.

I chose BCBS over UHC because UHC didnít cover all of my Meds at the time.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 01-11-2018 at 02:29 AM.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I have Medicare Part A and B and also a United Health Care Supplement Plan F. I also have Medicare Part D Prescription coverage with Express Scripts. The Part D is what we have to worry about with our drugs unless it is an infusion or medication given in a Doctor's office or infusion center. I am on Rebif and worry every year about the co-pay. I have been getting a grant through Patient Assistance Network for the past 4 years. This year they cut it way down so it will not last the year. The lady at PAN said it would probably last until May or June.

We, of course, can change our Supplemental policy and Prescription Part D every year. I have remained with United Health Care for my supplemental policy since going on Medicare, but have changed my Prescription Part D carrier several times. The first thing I look at during the open enrollment period is does an insurance policy cover Rebif. If it does I then go on to check my other prescriptions to see if they are covered.

Your Prescription Part D does not have to be in with your Medicare supplemental policy.
    Virginia

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I am on Tecfidera. I have full coverage with WEA -- Wisconsin Education Association insurance, and Medicare, parts A,B, and D. Unfortunately I just changed to WEA this year, so don't know what they cover or don't cover. But previously, when I was on United Health Care, they covered part and Medicare covered part, but I still had a $50/month co-pay.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Virginia, if you lose coverage for Rebif, I wonder if Ocrevus or Rituxan would be covered 100% since it’s done at infusion center, thus covered by Part A or B (And so far at least, research shows is superior to interferons)?

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast