Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. my bestest friend Brody

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default R.I.P. my bestest friend Brody

neighbor man's pitbull got a hold of him and punctured a single hole through his carotid artery into his windpipe and he drowned in his own blood. It's my fault, I was outside waiting on CJ and they wanted out and usually if I go out like that they stay right by me. I turned to go in and called them and the neighbor dog barked and that was all it took, they darted after her, she was on a long tie out. by the time I got around the corner of the house she had Brody by the neck. When I yelled no, no, and ran, I can actually run if necessary I have discovered, the dog let go but I could tell brody was wounded. CJ finally came right at the end and we rushed Brody to the vet er but I know he was dead when I brought him in. He died in my arms on the way tot hte er clinic. Single puncture wound, very little blood, except in his mouth. Oh God, I'm sorry fo rthe gory details but I need to get it out. It was all my fault. My dogs ran into his yard while she was tied up.

CJ got into almost a fist fight with the old man. He called the police and they patched us through to the er clinic. He said he wants the dog put down, the man already told people that his dog didn't like little dogs and we have loose pets quite often in this neighborhood. I even gave the daughter our number and told her to call me when the dogs are out so I could make sure the boys are in. Everybody is usually good about other people's pets, this is a small neighborhood. The news of what happened has spread like wildfire last night, I don't think the man will be there much longer. The neighborhood told me over the summer theyre keeping an eye out on who rents, lol, theyre like a secret society. We know the owners and are friends with them they still stay in contact with everyone on FB and by phone. I am sure they know already.

I don't want another dog to die, it wasn't her fault and as soon as I yelled no a couple times she immediately backed off and looked at me. she obeyed and was fine around me. He was defending Dash. but Dash was too fast for her brody didnt have a chance. It was such a long lead. The dog should be fenced. Though so should mine. well they are but it isn't working, I have to go out to the back forty and run a bunch of line and probably have to order new collar. I am going to do that before we get some snow. I have to find the wire I think it is out there.

anyway, I am beating myself up, I should have at least checked but I have always seen her out with her owners on a lead. I didn't know they were letting her out like that. we are totally devastated. Jared even had to lock himself in his room after I checked on him he couldn't talk to anyone. Thats okay we ahve cried still crying. He is buried in the flower bed next to the patio witha cast iron big heart shaped flower hanger but I have a bird house hanging from it. anyway cj made that his tombstone. Will forget -me -nots grow in the shade? Im babbleing im soryy

Last edited by houghchrst; 12-24-2017 at 07:54 AM.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

So sorry, Chrst, I know it hurts.

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 12-24-2017 at 08:38 PM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

I'm so sorry!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

6. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

How horrible. How horribly sad. I'm so sorry (((Hugs)))

8. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Chris)))))) ~

I'm so very sorry you've lost your sweet Brody. Please don't blame yourself. You didn't know that your neighbor's dog was tied up in the yard, nor could you anticipate that your dogs would alter their normal behavior and run to the neighbor's dog. I'm sending you lots of extra hugs and prayers to heal your broken heart.

Forget me not grows best in shady areas:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...et-me-nots.htm

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thank You guys for being here. Not doing so well today. That's okay because I am alone. Dash seems confused and has slept more than usual. He makes me cry I feel so bad for him

The girl from next door called me last night. Finally to see if there were any hard feelings. LOL your dog murdered mine! all I could say was that it was not really the dogs fault and that I couldn't talk. They are worried that charges will be pressed. I am calling animal control and the police tomorrow. I don't want the dog put down. He is to be registered as a dangerous animal with animal control. Move to a 6 foot fenced in area or get a big dog run if the dog is going to be outside. Otherwise turn the dog over to a rescue or shelter. the owners will make them move because of the dog most likely. I haven't messaged her yet. I am sure she has prolly been called. Lord there are kids and pets running all through this neighborhood

12. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Well their dog has been confiscated for 10 days in quarantine by our Animal Control starting this last Thursday. The police have taken a report. I was told to call code enforcement for my area. I spoke with the owner of the house and she had no knowledge of dogs moving in. She is not happy and is looking for a way to break their lease. I still break down but it is abating. Little things remind me. CJ was bringing me home yesterday and I broke down on our street because it had been my first time out and the first thing I say when I get in the house is "hi my boys" as they bounce around me and Brody would bring me gifts.

He always found a present for whoever he was happy to see. No idea how he got it, the smallest piece of paper between his lips a big ole stuffed animal, a sock from who knows where. He always found something to bring you. When I am on the computer, which is set up on my dining room table, Brody would lay on a blanket on the dining room floor just to be by me. I haven't taken his food bowl off the floor, I can't even look at it. My good neighbors on the other side of me, we are friends, they have two little dogs that would run over and all four would play in my big ole yard. Just running and playing. Can't do that again until the bad dog moves. They keep checking up on me, and like me she can't even look at the bad neighbors house.

Am I over reacting? To still be crying about it. I so blame myself. If I could go back I would have never let them out with me. It just occurred to me that that is the first time they have ever tied that dog out. My dogs are nosy and they would have noticed a long time ago. I think it is the daughter's dog and she was gone and the old man didn't want to stand out in the yard with the dog so he tied him up.
    Last edited by houghchrst; 12-30-2017 at 05:54 AM.

14. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Went out to get the mail yesterday and lo and behold there is that dog on leash out with the old man. Out of habit I raised my hand to wave but it fell kind of flat and he beat feet into the house. So I'm thinking WTH! Animal control was supposed to quarantine the dog. Leaving me to believe that they were confiscating the dog for 10 days. So after leaving a few messages yesterday today someone actually answered. Animal control informs me that they don't take possession of the dog it is simply confined to the owners home. I asked about the dangerous animal labeling and she said call my area's Code enforcement. Again. So I call them and they tell me it is an animal control issue but I left a message with the actual code enforcer guy anyway. Called the police office and find out a detective hasn't been assigned yet so left a message for the officer I spoke with. I gave the home owner an update. Her entire family loved Brody even though he wasn't the friendliest til he got to know you and the girls sobbed. I got a sympathy card from my vet yesterday which left me in tears. I don't know how they found out. ER clinic must have let them know. I didn't realize what a hole his passing would leave in my heart. Out of grief I have been pet shopping. Looked at Dorky pups which is what he was. Considered fostering an old dog for a rescue. It's just grief shopping. Poor Dash sleeps a lot and has a bit of separation anxiety. Kripes I left for my MRI yesterday was in there for maybe a half an hour, ran out to the club, gone for maybe an hour and a half and when I got back he cried for ten minutes. Jared said he howls when I leave. Poor guy.

16. The following user says "thanks"

Chris, I'm so sorry about Brody. It's like losing a family member.
    Take care,
    Dawn

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I just happened to read our local Flint Township News and see that there is a trustee meeting tonight to add two ordinance amendments and one of the amendments is regarding vicious animals. More than likely the animal will be put down. I don't want that. Now in the city limits it is different and they can be registered. I thought of going over and letting them know, it may help the owners get them out of there too. But I just can't face them. The police already know and I am afraid that the ball has already started rolling in that direction.

20. The following user says "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast