Thread: Walker/Rollator Advice Please

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question Walker/Rollator Advice Please

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Jim needs a walker for short distances around the house.

For years, we had Jonathan's walker in the garage, but I can't find it. We may have donated it, and I simply can't remember. Jonathan's walker was just a simple walker, with no wheels on the back legs.

Another use for Jim is to assist him in standing from bedside. So, it needs to be stable. He may or may not remember to put the brakes on a rollator. (Do rollators have brakes?)

Please share your opinions and experience to help me find the right walker/rollator for Jim. Thank you so much.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rollators often have hand brakes. I keep mine by my bedside and grab hold of its handles as a way of getting out of bed, for a bit of needed support, but do have to make sure I've set the brakes on both sides.

This is almost what I have except that instead of a bag underneath, mine has a wire basket. I can't find an example of that online. I bought it a few years ago and it's held up well so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It came with a warning that it isn't meant to be used for self-propulsion and I soon found out why that warning is there. It just doesn't work well at all if you try to move with your feet while seated in it. It feels a bit flimsy and unstable and risky.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I use the Drive rollator. It has hand brakes. Its easy to stash in teh car. And it has a seat that can stash stuff inside of it.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Jim needs a walker for short distances around the house.

For years, we had Jonathan's walker in the garage, but I can't find it. We may have donated it, and I simply can't remember. Jonathan's walker was just a simple walker, with no wheels on the back legs.

Another use for Jim is to assist him in standing from bedside. So, it needs to be stable. He may or may not remember to put the brakes on a rollator. (Do rollators have brakes?)

Please share your opinions and experience to help me find the right walker/rollator for Jim. Thank you so much.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Yes. Rollators have breaks. Mine is 3 wheeled with large, solid rubber tires. Many rollators have very flimsy wheels...most of them do. Mine is made by Nova and I now get it through Amazon. It is the only kind I have ever used. Recently I met a 90 year old who is quite a lively fellow. He saw my walker and realized the wheels would give him a lot more control. Next time I saw him....he had one like mine and thanked me.

I will see if I can post a link so you can see it. There is no seat. If your movement is strong it will be best but if you are very weak a 4 wheeled one with a seat might work better.
    Be back soon.
    The one I have and I think most have the brakes that are fitted right under the handlebar so it is physically easy to grab onto if you need.

Here is a link with lots of choices and info. I use the 3 wheeled one but always remove tray and bag ...I just use mine for walking outside and those things get in my way but might be useful inside.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...5miaRJH_2FuvJy
    Last edited by Lazarus; 02-10-2020 at 05:58 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) I prefer the rollator with a seat. When you leave the rollator by the bed apply the brakes. That way it is sturdy when you use it to get up. I can't walk now so using a scooter. Jeanie :)

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

So many choices that I find them confusing. I think it does answer Rose's question about brakes. You do have to apply hand brakes.
    Virginia

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Thank You!

Thank you so much agate, Sunshine, Lazarus, Jeanie, and Virginia!! Very helpful information. I really appreciate your input.

Today, I ordered a Drive Rollator from Amazon. I offered to show Jim the selection, but he told me that he trusted your opinion and my judgement. He preferred the rollator to a standard aluminum walker. With the brakes on at bedside, it will be stable to use it to help him get out of bed.

I also ordered a "bed ladder," which was only $13, but had excellent reviews. Jim can use it to pull himself up in bed, as he slides down easily on the slippery mattress cover.

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 4.39.41 PM.jpg

If this doesn't work, we'll pursue other options.

Jim and I thank you for your love and support.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Peg, Sunshine and Agate all have/had Drive rollators.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

16. The following user says "thanks"