Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I decided to read it myself NOT his "principled conclusions".

I don't want any slant, just the facts.
    I was being sarcastic about Barr’s summary!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I never thought about what happened worldwide on 9/11....when all air flights into as well as within the country were stopped. This book shows the generosity and care of heroic everyday people/societies.

The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by James DeFede (sp)
    Last edited by Lazarus; 04-30-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Nuthatch: Totally can relate to the snail watching. I have hours upon hours alone in my house now, and find that very small things now capture my attention and put me in a new world. Like watching a plant. Or watching a lady bug make progress.

So many worlds out there.

Laz, i want to read that book too.
    I live next to a small community airport which is plagued by small flight school flights all day. IT was gloriously quiet during the 9/11 flight black outs.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 04-30-2019 at 07:35 AM.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    I'm reading The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey, and throughly enjoying it.

"While an illness keeps her bedridden, Bailey watches a wild snail that has taken up residence on her nightstand. As a result, she discovers the solace and sense of wonder that this mysterious creature brings and comes to a greater understanding of her own confined place in the world."

Who knew snails were so interesting? People don't take time to observe and appreciate the little things!
    That was a great book, Nuthatch. I really enjoyed it.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    That was a great book, Nuthatch. I really enjoyed it.

ANN

I read that book several years ago. A customer brought it to me and said I HAD to read it! Great.
    Linda~~~~

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

As most of you who follow this thread know, I always finish all of my books. However, I am reading one now that I am having a hard time doing that. It is through my book club. They brought it to me so I will finish it. It is short and I should have read it in a day, but it is just so boring. The name of it is The Optimist Daughter by Eudora Welty. It says on the back cover it is her best book. The daughter of a former Judge goes home when her father becomes ill. He has remarried a young very silly girl after his first wife dies. One chapter was about her family coming for the funeral and it was like trying to read a chapter of "The Beverly Hillbillies" for those of you who are old enough to remember that TV series.

A neighbor told me this past week that she got a call from a member of the book club asking if she was going to read the book. She said this lady was laughing because it is nothing they would have chosen. My neighbor said she had read one chapter, but would probably not read the rest. I will force myself to stick with it to the end.
    Virginia

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I ordered a book that several of you have said you enjoyed "The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating" on my kindle. I ordered it a couple of days ago and I can't get it to come through. I also can't find a place on Amazon that I can talk to a live person. I want to start reading it and I am frustrated. I have been through all their self help stuff and can't figure it out and I need a real live person on the other end of the line. This drives me nuts.
    Virginia

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I haven't tried Kindle at all but I have noticed that "online chat" often isn't working on weekends on some sites. If you've been trying today, that might be the problem. You might be able to send an e-mail to them and even get a prompt response though.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Thanks, but I can't even find how to do that. I use to be able to get them by phone or e-mail, but since I went to prime I have not been able to.
    Virginia

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I got my book. I called Spectrum and told them my wyfi was not connecting to my Kindle and the man just walked me right through getting it connected and my book came through immediately. I knew it had to do with the wyfi, but I wasn't sure what it had to do with it because I am supposed to have built in wyfi on my kindle. However as long as I have it I am fine. I don't know if my kindle will now work anywhere but here in my house, however I usually don't have a lot of reason to take it too many places.
    Virginia

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233343536 ... LastLast