Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1939444546474849

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Was it the WPAthat created so many jobs and programs?

[QUOTE=agate;98280]Intriguing title--"The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek."

This was a real job created through the WPA....book gathering and delivery in rural areas...by single rider on horseback (or donkey!).....this book is set in Kentucky
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Connecting books with people sounds like a great idea!

Linda, I just noticed your avatar photo and figured out what the words are on it: "Make Orwell fiction again."
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Connecting books with people sounds like a great idea!

Linda, I just noticed your avatar photo and figured out what the words are on it: "Make Orwell fiction again."

Yup! That’s what it says. (Here’s hoping)

I copied a decent description of the book I am reading....:

“ The hardscrabble folks of Troublesome Creek have to scrap for everything - everything except books, that is. Thanks to Roosevelt's Kentucky Pack Horse Library Project, Troublesome's got its very own traveling librarian, Cussy Mary Carter.

Cussy's not only a book woman, however, she's also the last of her kind, her skin a shade of blue unlike most anyone else. Not everyone is keen on Cussy's family or the Library Project, and a Blue is often blamed for any whiff of trouble. If Cussy wants to bring the joy of books to the hill folks, she's going to have to confront prejudice as old as the Appalachias and suspicion as deep as the holler.

Inspired by the true blue-skinned people of Kentucky and the brave and dedicated Kentucky Pack Horse library service of the 1930s, The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek is a story of raw courage, fierce strength, and one woman's belief that books can carry us anywhere - even back home”
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

That reminded me of Kentucky’s Frontier Nursing Service:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Nursing_Service

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And recently there's been another way of hooking people up with books--the Little Free Libraries. I haven't ever used one of them, and I don't know how useful they would be for people with MS mobility limitations, but they're an interesting idea, I think:

https://littlefreelibrary.org/

You can decide to set one of these up on your property but you do have to pay to build it, and there's a fee for setting it up. Then people who know about your Little Free Library (or passersby, I guess) can help themselves to books that are in the little box or donate books.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I am reading The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yolo Ogawa , to take a break from MIchael Connelly detective series.

It is a very original and charming book, 177 page in paperback. It sticks with you. She takes care of a genius math professor as his housekeeper. He had an accident and can recall everything he has learned except for the past 80 minutes.

He sees the world through numbers ina most fascinating way and his housekeeper’s and her son’s world are altered/blossomed in unexpected way. You might like this book too.

I read it years ago, and am re reading it as I was daydreaming about Prime Numbers and wanted to go back and read it.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1939444546474849