Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The coloring books they have now are a far cry from those in my childhood. I've been very tempted to try them and have given them as gifts sometimes. My DIL likes them.

I'm halfway into the second book of the Neapolitan novels by Elena Ferrante. This story has a lot to say about the conditioning of women of my generation but it says it through the story. Nobody gets on a soapbox and lectures. It's just there in the story--two women taking different paths in their lives, one marrying at 16, the other apparently continuing in school.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I just finished a very good book. The title is An Invisible Thread. It is about an 11 year old boy in New York who was panhandling in order to eat. A lady walked by and didn't give him much thought when he said "Lady can you spare some change?" So much of that goes on in places like that. She passed him by, started crossing a street that was close by, got into the street and turned around and went back. She looked and saw he was only a boy. She told him she would take him to McDonalds to eat. He ordered a Big Mac, French fries and a large chocolate milkshake. She had the same. Afterward she asked him if he would like to walk around Central Park and they did.

They went on to become very close friends and he would stop each morning at her rather swank N.Y. apartment building on the way to school and pick up a lunch that she would pack for him. He asked her to put it in a brown paper bag so people would think he had someone who cared about him. The friendship has lasted through the years. He says she saved him, but she says he saved her.

I am reading this with the book club and it is a very good selection. If anyone is ever feeling bad about what they don't have this is the book to read. It is a true story and very graphic about how people often live.
    Virginia

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Virginia,
    Thanks for the read! Check out this article and read the embedded twitter feed: So reminiscent of the book you just read:
    https://www.boredpanda.com/girl-stra...d-erynn-brook/

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Yes, I used coloring books when I was very ill last year. And when my dear, dear family member was in harms way during surgery for cancer, coloring books helped save my sanity: it has a way of calming the spirit, putting you in a light trance when you need to be in a light trance.

I highly recommend it. At first, I criticized self for using it, as I am a scientist and always turned to reading books. But I was too distraught to read, and coloring was a wonderful channel. Try it, you might like it. And it will be there for you when you need it the most.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, I used coloring books when I was very ill last year. And when my dear, dear family member was in harms way during surgery for cancer, coloring books helped save my sanity: it has a way of calming the spirit, putting you in a light trance when you need to be in a light trance.

I highly recommend it. At first, I criticized self for using it, as I am a scientist and always turned to reading books. But I was too distraught to read, and coloring was a wonderful channel. Try it, you might like it. And it will be there for you when you need it the most.
    Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

[QUOTE=agate;86494]The coloring books they have now are a far cry from those in my childhood. I've been very tempted to try them and have given them as gifts sometimes. My DIL likes them.”quote

My coloring experience is the singular activity in the last few years that is entirely mine. I have learned what I learned by reading/ listening to Amazon reviews and You Tube tutorials. It is wonderful that so many people enjoy sharing what they have learned and showing it to others who are learning.

I started coloring and explored the world of pencils/gel pens and water color pencils. At each stage I thought I had discovered my preferences and yet would reach a point where I could not do what I was trying to do...oh! I remember. The device I thought I would never use and had been languishing on my desk was exactly what I needed. And there it was waiting for me to grow into it.

I loved challenging myself to finish something I had started. I now have an arsenal of different pencils, watercolors, ink pens. At every stage there was that nagging question. “ How do you do this or that?” So, I have searched for more and more books to color in. Now I have two books with famous paintings from Art museums. I just finished “American Gothic” by Grant Woods. I use my own colors and do not worry about making mistakes. And this new dimension of reading about the painting and the background of the artist is perfect for me.

I am not an artist. I can not draw. My coloring is a wholly zen kind of experience that has made me more seeing. I notice the world around me more. The color. The Shapes and designs. The wonder of it all.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 04-14-2019 at 03:56 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I am finishing Where the crawdad sing by Delia Owens.
    Well written, I’m listening to it on audible.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Audible is now responsible for many of the books I get in recorded form through the National Library Service.

I'm now on the 3rd book of Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan novels, this one called Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829