Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 525303132333435

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member

Sunshine, my husband spent 13 months in S. Korea. This was after the war, but before he met me. He always said it was the unhappiest year of his life. When he retired from the military he had been put on a roster to be promoted in about six months. It would have been a big promotion, but if he had stayed and taken it he was told he was what they called a short tour short. That means you are sent where your family cannot join you. He had just spent a year in Viet Nam, a country he liked. But that meant there was a good chance that short tour would be Korea, so he got out. My older brother liked S. Korea. He went over a couple of years after my husband and the country had changed a lot.
    Virginia

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

That’s interesting Virginia.

You might enjoy the book

The book is actually titled, Island of Sea Women
    Last edited by Sunshine; 09-22-2019 at 07:15 AM.

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

I was thinking that also Sunshine.
    Virginia

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was thinking that also Sunshine.
    If you read it. Let me know what you think.

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

I haven’t been doing my usual amount of reading. I need to get back into it, but have not felt like it lately. However I am trying to read the book the book club brought to me. Just started this morning and haven’t really gotten very interested yet. Will come back and report when I get it read.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I have restarted Holy Ghost by John Sandford: A Virgil Flowers detective book. Not as good as his others, but still decent. I had tried to read it months ago, and couldn’t get into it: I think I was too spacey with all the high dose meds at the time to concentrate.

Its about a tiny dying town where Mary is seen in the Church. This goes viral since some got it on their cell phones. The town is hopping now with business. SUddenly people are getting shot, one person at a time, 4 different days.

Virgil has to figure out what is going on. Lots of conflicting evidence of course. If you like Virgil FLowers, you will like the book, but not nearly as entertaining as his other Flowers books.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I read band liked the journey of sea women. I recently read ‘The Red Garden’ by Alice Hoffman. I really enjoyed it. Years ago I had read something by Alice Hoffman and found it too wordy. That was not the case.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ssusan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read band liked the journey of sea women. I recently read ‘The Red Garden’ by Alice Hoffman. I really enjoyed it. Years ago I had read something by Alice Hoffman and found it too wordy. That was not the case.
    I have been like Virginia and need to force myself to read or at least listen to the books I bought through audible! .my eyes are not behaving and my brain keeps veering off the roadway when I am listening to a book. Maybe with more rest or a week without a crisis!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I started a book late yesterday evening after going to eat and stopping at grocery store. Stayed up way too late and felt bad today, but finished book.

Turned out to be very good. It is not a very thick book, but I felt it had some good life lessons. The name is The Time Keeper by Mitch Album. He also wrote Tuesday’s with Morrie. I had read that and I saw the movie.

The Time Keeper is about the man who
    started measuring things which led to keeping time and everything that happened to him after that along with a man in his 80s who doesn’t have long to live and wants to be frozen in order to get more time and a young girl who doesn’t want to live. Their lives become intertwined. Very interesting book.

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 525303132333435