Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've read only one book on Obama's list--Evicted, and it was excellent.

I have a request in at the library for the Amor Towles book.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We have dueling requests :) although on opposite sides of the nation

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Almost finished with Stephen King's 'Night Watch' and for some reason I am just not feeling him. Not to say the book is bad or uninteresting but Stephen King has a way of writing that grips you and if you have read all his books, a number of times for most of them lol, then you know the way he tells a story and you get a feel for the writer. I can devour one of his novels usually but this is taking me a bit. It almost feels like a Koontz novel. I have one small King to read after this then I need to see what I have missed since I quit going to the library.

I use to love the library. I would go about once a week and bring a big old cloth bag my grandma made and quilted and fill that sucker to where I could barely carry it, sometimes I would have to have CJ get it out of the car and still have movies or more books to carry. I would go and be there lost for an hour looking for movies, books to read and what I call the brain books. I would get a bunch on a variety of subjects that interested me and peruse those. Crafting, building, animals, places, one of my favorites use to be the 'Day in The Life' books. THat is how I came to know a lot of nothing and a little about so many things lol. But alas it was not to last my favorite librarian moved on and a young romance fanatic moved in and that is mostly what she ordered. Drama/romance, Thriller/romance, Biography/romance, horror/romance...come on now, seriously. Even the new books, brain books that I would check out got boring. I commented on it a number of times and got the standard response of "you can order any book that you think you might lilke" So I quit going, I quit reading, that is bad for me. I missed it. Psychological issues.

But it is one of the things I want to get back in my life. Being lost in a book is like a brain vacation. So I get them delivered right from my computer. Can't afford to buy books though I am getting a good Koontz and King collection. I was collecting Anne Rice for a while there.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I don't buy books either but request them from my regional library (Talking Books). Some patrons ask for the librarians to choose books for them. If they like mysteries or romance or whatever, or specific authors, they request those categories. I've always requested specific titles, and I get them from reading book reviews and sometimes from recommendations from people I know.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hiughcrist,
    I have a good picture of you from your post. Thank you for taking the time to talk about it. I too am a major Stephen King bookfan , although some of them don’t do much for me. My favorite is hearts in Atlantis, and right up there is November 22, 1963.

Today, I scored two old Michael Connelly books for two books at a used book center. I read them years ago but I do not remember even one detail about them , So I get to read them again! Delicious

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Has anyone read Philip Roth’s book, The Human Stain? It was referred to in something I read. It said it was his magnum opus

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Library just called. Gentleman from Moscow is in now! Am looking forward to reading it !

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone read Philip Roth’s book, The Human Stain? It was referred to in something I read. It said it was his magnum opus
    I haven't read the book but did see the movie, which was interesting as I recall.

I now have a recording of the Amor Towles book from the library and will be starting on it as soon as I finish Mansfield Park.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

It looks like BBS and Agate will be reading the book A Gentleman in Moscow at the same time. You both have a treat in store. I can attest to that because I have read it.
    Virginia

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Yep. Just picked up the book after an “event”at the library.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 01-09-2018 at 01:00 PM.

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast