Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome, houghchrst!

My reading has been almost at a standstill lately while I've been taking care of my PC problems. I still have to get the scanner and the camera software reinstalled but I took care of getting Norton back first thing. I listen to books in any spare moments but there's the housework and laundry that have been put on hold while I took care of the PC issues, and now I'm catching up on that.

I'm hoping to get on with the reading now.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Thanks guys, I am waiting for SK's new books to get here, hopefully tomorrow.

I suffer from Chronic Pain, mostlly from the waist down fluctuates from a 5 to a 10 depending on whether or not I am walking or moving, well that basically means I am at about an 8 on average lol. Fibro, migraines, nerve damage in lower back, Bipolar II, med resistant depression and anxiety, IBS, insomnia, and I have arthritis here and there lol I think I got most of things lol. Here I would like to add that many of these things are being treated with mmj and besides the pain, depression and anxiety the rest is treated with lots of meds and mmj so symptoms are at a minimum.

I have done audio but it is hard for me to concentrate on what I am listening to if say I am cleaning house. I have to be able to concentrate thats why I haven't done it in so long.

Heather Graham is who I am reading now, paperback, can't remember what it is called. I promised myself I would never read her books because they are basically romance with built in story the only reason I have stuck with this one is because it has ghosts in it and I am desperate for a read lol. Was in a box of books I got from my BIL passed away.

I hope you get your pc fixed.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading is generally the last thing I have time for, but I hardly ever keep a book so long that I ask to renew it. This time though I did have to renew the library book that was due on the 20th--the book about Marlene Dietrich and the film-maker Leni Riefenstahl. It's very interesting--I knew very little about either of them--and I do get time as I'm drifting off to sleep at night or doing some of my exercises, or when I wake up at night.

I used to listen to books while I did housework but nowadays background noise makes it difficult to hear the narration--though I am able to sort laundry and iron while "reading."

When I don't have any movies to watch in the evening, I listen to a book or magazine while I do some crocheting.

This was how I spent many years, before I had movies to watch and before there was a computer, but back then I was also doing quilting, knitting, and even making needlepoint pillows as well. Quilting takes a lot of setting up, and you really need to have a block of several hours at a stretch to make it worth the effort. My eyes and hands aren't exactly what they used to be either. So quilting gets done only if the quilt I'm using needs repair.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I can't get in to audio books. Just not the same as reading. I guess there may well come a time when I'll have to do it, though. I know lots of people enjoy them.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I too have that problem.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

So, if I get a Kindle...as several of you have made me think again about the pleasure of always having the freedom to read no matter what line I am standing in....here are my questions:
    * What do I have to do to set it up once I get it
    * are there different models? Which do you use
    * what else should I know about using the kindle that is either good or difficult?

Thanks in advance. I still read books with a pen in my hand but it might be neat to add this to my choices
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Linda, I have had two. The one I am using has a lighted background which you can adjust and I really like that. I bought both of mine on Amazon and they helped me with any questions that I had and if I had a problem setting it up the first time they helped with that. Then I am registered and I just go in, choose a book and hit buy with one click. I use Pay Pal so that is really easy. I do not put in a credit card number at all.

Cat can tell you more than I can I am sure. Love my Kindle. I was afraid I would not, but the lighted background has helped me to see it more easily and also I sometime read a thousand page book and they are heavy, with the Kindle this is not a problem.
    Virginia

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I just finished A Gentleman in
    Moscow and adored it. The novel is exciting right to the end and gives so many big ideas to think about that it is just a pleasure. I smiled and laughed all the way through. The writing itself is just so darn good. And, it is on Obama’s list too!

President Obama’s just listed his favorite books of 2017:
    The best books I read in 2017:
    The Power by Naomi Alderman
    Grant by Ron Chernow
    Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond
    Janesville: An American Story by Amy Goldstein
    Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
    Five-Carat Soul by James McBride
    Anything Is Possible by Elizabeth Strout
    Dying: A Memoir by Cory Taylor
    A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
    *Bonus for hoops fans: Coach Wooden and Me by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Basketball (and Other Things) by Shea Serrano
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Linda, thanks for Obama's list. I am going to check some of them out and see what I think. I am in the mood for another book. Finished my latest Michael Connelly a couple of days ago.
    Virginia

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Me too! Thanks Lazarus! I put a hold on Gentleman....Moscow.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast