Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 143439404142434445 LastLast

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member

I am ‘reading’ The Water Dancer’ by Ta-heisi Coates. It is the story of a young man in Virginia escaping from bondage. It is very well written.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Just started 'Where the Crawdads Sing' by Dehlia Owens.

For years, rumors of the "Marsh Girl" have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life--until the unthinkable happens.

Where the Crawdads Sing is at once an exquisite ode to the natural world, a heartbreaking coming-of-age story, and a surprising tale of possible murder. Owens reminds us that we are forever shaped by the children we once were, and that we are all subject to the beautiful and violent secrets that nature keeps.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    60 Minutes had a long piece last night with him and mentioned the audible book. He is a very interesting fellow. When a teen he was quite distraught and spent time at McLean (sp) hospital near Boston .....you might be able to watch the CBS story online. I got it by going to the CBS site. Actually it may have been on CBS Sunday morning. One of those two shows anyway.
    Audible gave it as a freebie along with the 2 audible originals they give each month. I am pleased to have it tucked away for when I finish listening to Malcolm Gladwell’s Listening to Strangers which is not only interesting but a very timely book since listening to others is no longer a viable skill we all possess.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Nuthatch, you are in for a treat if you are just beginning the book. I read Where the Crawdads Sing and thought it was good. I am just now starting Caleb's Crossing. This was set in the late 1600s. I am not sure yet if it is good or not. It is long and written differently so I am trying to take it all in, but I am just on page 30.
    Virginia

8. The following user says "thanks"

It is free until April 2
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just read a short story I liked--it's by Thomas Pierce and appeared in the Summer 2019 issue of Granta. It's called "Visitors Welcome."

https://granta.com/visitors-welcome/

I often read short stories as they come my way but hardly ever like one well enough to want to read more fiction by an author. I'll be looking up more fiction by Thomas Pierce though. He has a short story collection called Hall of Small Mammals as well as a novel, The Afterlives.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I finished Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks and thought it was a really good book. The setting is in Martha's Vineyard in the 1660s. There a young girl meets a young Indian boy by accident and they become good friends. He is extremely smart and goes on to Harvard and becomes the first Native American to graduate from Harvard. They both have a thirst for knowledge and it was very hard for a girl to get any kind of education. Her Father taught her till the age of 9, but would not go beyond that. She was smart enough to pick up languages and other things as she listened to her Father instruct her older brother, while they were unaware that she was paying attention. She also did this when she went to work at Cambridge and listened to the scholars as they instructed the young men.

This is a work of fiction, but it is true that Caleb was the first Native American to graduate from Harvard in 1665.

Another good book.
    Virginia

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I finished Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks and thought it was a really good book. The setting is in Martha's Vineyard in the 1660s. There a young girl meets a young Indian boy by accident and they become good friends. He is extremely smart and goes on to Harvard and becomes the first Native American to graduate from Harvard. They both have a thirst for knowledge and it was very hard for a girl to get any kind of education. Her Father taught her till the age of 9, but would not go beyond that. She was smart enough to pick up languages and other things as she listened to her Father instruct her older brother, while they were unaware that she was paying attention. She also did this when she went to work at Cambridge and listened to the scholars as they instructed the young men.

This is a work of fiction, but it is true that Caleb was the first Native American to graduate from Harvard in 1665.

Another good book.
    Thanks for writing about this interesting book.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Listening to: “Then She Was Gone” by Lisa Jewell. A really good page turner.

Very good do not know how I stumbled on it but it is so damn good....I can not stop listening. All people living out lives with happiness, sadness, marriages, children...etc. but....I am feeling the drumbeat that something does not add up...one family did have a traumatic event and everything that happens seems to be tracing back to that.

Very good writing. Fun to have to listen to....I do not read reviews because I want to be able to read it without knowing what it will reveal. But I did read enough reviews on Amazon to know that people liked it ...and could not stop reading! but, trust me, you really won’t regret how this engages you.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 02-18-2020 at 09:26 AM.
    Linda~~~~

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I just finished "Ladies From Havana". This was off Ann's list. It really was good. It was two love stories in one story, but there was also a lot of history about Cuba during the Batista years and even much more about the Fidel Castro years. The stories were good, but the history part was great. This was one of Ann's. Thanks Ann!

Edited this to add: I wrote the wrong title - that book was "Next Year in Havana", but it was from Ann's list.
    Last edited by Virginia; 02-20-2020 at 01:05 PM.
    Virginia

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 143439404142434445 LastLast