Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I will read it then. The sound bytes on her book sound like they were off target.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will read it then. The sound bytes on her book sound like they were off target.
    Well, those who pick out sound bytes always pick the most sensational stuff, and they're often out of context!
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I just finished Deep Freeze by John Sandford, a Virgil Flowers book. It was entertaining, but not as good as his others.

Am starting The Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly. A Bosch novel. I read it 20:years ago, but recalled nothing of it other than loving it.

What are you reading?

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I still have not started my latest Michael Connelly book that I have on my Kindle. It is the latest in his Bosch series and I love this series, but it seems like I have had other things on my mind lately. I was thinking today that I would like to sit and read, but other things just keep getting in the way.
    Virginia

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just got a book today. The title is something like "a Gentleman in Moscow"...I it is by Amor Towles? got it because a friend called me and told me I ABSOLUTELY had to read it. I trust her and so got the book!

I am reading a mystery by Elisabeth Rostova titled The Shadow Land. Another friend told me to read it. She said the author is a historian and the book is very good.

So, I am spreading my reading wings.
    Well, it is several weeks after my first post. I stopped reading Shadow Land after 100 pages. Started with great promise and just grew flatter and flatter. When I realized I put stopped reading and am full into reading A Gentleman in Moscow. It is a wonderful book. Exciting, satirically funny, intelligent and characters I am already interested in--people I want to stay with in their journeys through political intrigue Of of Russia during the early 1900's during the time of the revolution that gave status to the average Joe and looked with disdain on the snooty aristocrats..but, you know, there are aspects of all cultures and people to love. Throwing out the baby with the bath water comes to mind. I'll be interested to see how it all plays out.
    And this book is funny.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 12-23-2017 at 04:05 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Ok, that clinches it. I will put it on my short list.

Nearly done with Concrete Blonde. It’s a very good Bosch book. Really enjoying it.

In books, sometimes the author has a character reading a certain book. Think I will start keeping track of them and start to read them.

Connelly keeps mentioning The Day of the Locusts.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

do you guys mind if I jump in here? I don't have MS but I am an avid reader. I just got signed up at the library for their homebound program and they are sending me books free of charge. I just can't get into reading on my iPad. I love the feel of the actual book. I have a terrible time getting rid of books. I have scaled way down to some that are special to me and have some stored in a box or two that I would like to use for my little green library if I can ever get that up and running next summer. I'm more of a Stephen King kind of girl but read all kinds of things except for westerns and romance.

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Once upon a time I used to read a book all the way through, even if I didn't much like it. Now I follow the "50 pages" rule: I read through the first 50 pages. If I'm not fully engaged, I stop and move on to the next book. My time is too short to read all the way through..
    I have a ton of physical books, even though I've downsized repeatedly. Now I've moved to books on my Kindle...and have a ton, there. Early on when the Kindles and other e-readers were first introduced I was convinced that I'd not like them, that I loved the feel of a "real book", the smell of the paper, all that. Being a former librarian and teacher, I didn't think the Kindle could replace the book. I saw my first Kindle -- a stranger was reading from hers in a hotel restaurant. I went up to her, boldly (especially for me, a solid introvert) and asked her if she could show me how it worked. And I instantly fell in love. When we got home (we were on vacation, in a hotel) I immediately ordered one. I'm on my fourth one, now, updating as Amazon updated. I love reading on it, love that I can enlarge the type face when necessary. I love knowing that i'm carrying my library around with me. Love that I can be reading at odd moments-- waiting for my husband to finish his shopping in a hardware store. Read while waiting in line. Read while in the doctor's office. All without having to carry around a bulky book. I still buy bulky books -- not everything is available on the Fire, and in some instances I do like the actual book -- but I always first check to see if it's on Fire. \

And sure, houghchrst, welcome!
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

16. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Come on in Houghchrst, we really like readers on this thread.

Linda, I already read "A Gentleman in Moscow" and wish that I had not read it yet. It is so hard to find a book that good and that well written. I had mentioned it on here and hoped that someone else would read it. At my meditation group last Monday night one person was talking about it (a man). He is a Professor at NC State College here, and he was talking about how well written it is. A lady has it but has not read it yet. I encouraged her to read it.

Right now I am reading Michael Connelly's latest Bosch book. It just came out in October or November, but I didn't wait to get it on my Kindle because I knew I would eventually. I have not read very far, however I always like his books so looking forward to the rest of it.

A book I think I might like to read is Bobby Kennedy a Raging Bull. It has just come out recently so I will wait for the price to come down. One of the guys on MSNBC wrote it. He said he spent two years researching and living with it.
    Virginia

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Hough, Stephen Kings book 11/22/63 is one of my top 10 all time favorite books. And loved Hearts in Atlantis. And Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption novella. And The Body novella.

Welcome aboard. Do you have a different Neuro condition?

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast