Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222272829303132

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Virginia, I dont finish all the books I start. I will give a book 50-70 pages, and if it isnít good in some way, I just stop: life is too short to spend time on bad books....

Then there are bad books that I do want to know the gist of the book or how it ended (typically bad mystery), so I will just scan through the rest of the book, or simply go to the end of the book.

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As most of you who follow this thread know, I always finish all of my books. However, I am reading one now that I am having a hard time doing that. It is through my book club. They brought it to me so I will finish it. It is short and I should have read it in a day, but it is just so boring. The name of it is The Optimist Daughter by Eudora Welty. It says on the back cover it is her best book. The daughter of a former Judge goes home when her father becomes ill. He has remarried a young very silly girl after his first wife dies. One chapter was about her family coming for the funeral and it was like trying to read a chapter of "The Beverly Hillbillies" for those of you who are old enough to remember that TV series.

A neighbor told me this past week that she got a call from a member of the book club asking if she was going to read the book. She said this lady was laughing because it is nothing they would have chosen. My neighbor said she had read one chapter, but would probably not read the rest. I will force myself to stick with it to the end.
    I'm pretty sure I read "The Optimist's Daughter" but it was so long ago I can't remember it. I keep notes on books I've read but at some point lost them in a computer meltdown years ago, and the notes on that one must have been among the lost data. I've read and enjoyed some of Eudora Welty's other novels but that one hasn't stuck in my mind.

Anyone remember the e-mail client called Eudora--named after her? I used it for years.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, I probably was a bit harsh about this book, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. The end of it got a bit better.
    Virginia

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe I have a special fondness for Eudora Welty because she's one of the writers who give a lot of detail about what life in the south is or has been like. She and Carson McCullers and especially Flannery O'Connor.

Oh, and William Faulkner, though there aren't many of his books that I would read again. My favorites are the Snopes trilogy (The Town, The Hamlet, The Mansion) and As I Lay Dying. I like Intruder in the Dust too but the rest of his fiction just leaves me cold.
    Last edited by agate; 05-18-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks, but I can't even find how to do that. I use to be able to get them by phone or e-mail, but since I went to prime I have not been able to.
    I know it is frustrating. I do not have kindle but do have Amazon Prime. I just wanted to say that sometimes I have trouble remembering where I found the one darn right spot where I can click and find how to do something. The print is small and I am convinced the pages switch things around periodically!

I do have audible through Amazon Prime and I had made a mistake and erased a book and I was able to contact them online and they put the book back in my library! I hope you are able to find the way to contact them because the service I get through all of Amazon is really good service. Check and see if there is a way to contact them from the ?
    Last edited by Lazarus; 05-19-2019 at 03:29 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Thanks Linda, got it worked out through my wify provider for now. I will wait to the next book to see how long that last.
    Virginia

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222272829303132