Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member

I have not read this one yet.

Last week I read Where the Crawdads Sing. I think it has been on the top best seller list for about 20 weeks, so I decided to give it a try.

It is about a little girl who is left alone in Marsh Lands from a very young age on. She cannot read or write because she has not attended school. It tells of how she survived and then thrived by learning to read and writing books about different creatures and things she found interesting in the Marshland. It also has some suspense in it.
    Virginia

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I am just starting -I Am Malala-
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am just starting -I Am Malala-
    When you finish it, read Ayn Hirsi’s book, Infidel. A non fiction book too — if you read a fictional account, you would think,,”no way that would happen in real life”, but it did and is!

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just finished the first book in Elena Ferrante's "Neapolitan novels"--My Brilliant Friend, and now I'm moving to the second one. It's still holding my interest, this time around. (A year or so ago, I gave up on it.)

I also recently finished a remarkable book by Zora Neale Hurston, Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo." It was written in 1927, when the author interviewed the man who was one of the last survivors of the last shipment of African slaves to arrive in this country. The book wasn't published until 2018, long after the anthropologist and novelist Zora Neale Hurston's death.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Reading "Upstairs at the White House" by West. Mr West became the head Usher during the Truman Administration (but started working at the White House during FDR's third term). He talks about the running of the building and working with the first ladies over time from Eleanor Roosevelt to Bess Truman to Mamie Eisenhower to Jackie Kennedy and Lady Bird Johnson and Pat Nixon. There is a great deal of historical information shared as well as the interior reconstruction during the Truman administration when the white house began physically collapsing from the inside and had to be gutted and rebuilt. Each first lady redecorated to her tastes (the government budgeted $50,000 for that at the beginning of each administration) but it was under Mrs. Kennedy that the transition from a home and offices took place with extensive searches and furnishing the mansion with period pieces from previous administrations and the White House guide book was developed by her to offset the cost of renovations and restorations and continues to serve today as a source of income to keep the "museum" functioning. I love the inside looks at the personalities and happenings that depart from politics and showcase real people.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cherie, I read that book with my book club. That month it was right on target for me. I love history and found it very interesting and also enjoyed the inter-workings of this wonderful House.

You gave a very good description of the book.
    Virginia

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Cherie: that sounds like a fun and interesting read! It brings to mind The Residence, an insider look by the Usher and staff of the WH residents and residence, across many presidents. It was interesting that the elder George Bush family was remembered very fondly. The Carters were described as not at all like their warm and generous image—didnt surprise me. Although I am a Democrat, never warmed to Jimmy and Roslyn...

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

I just finished a book, which I was so sure I was not going to like, but was reading it with the book club. I ended up liking it a lot. The title is "The Call" by Yannick Murphy. The man is a Veterinarian so there is quite a lot about different animals in addition to what turned out to be a very loving, down to earth and real family.
    Virginia

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

My book club is going to read The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin. I have no idea what the book is about so it will be a nice exploration. I have been reading I Am Malala but for some reason it is a slog. But I admire the struggle and reading about her parents gives a great picture of loving parents and great parenting. So I will hurry and finish before my club meets next week.

I am getting sort of lazy and using Audible more. I use my poor eyes to color in adult coloring books and find that is enough strain for them! I have almost finished every drawing in The Enchanted Forest and it has been a remarkable experience. Never thought I would or would want to do this. I have learned so much I need to write an essay about this hobby!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

18. The following user says "thanks"

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728