Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member

What a wonderful treat for you Linda. So glad you got to do this. The author of To Kill a Mockingbird became very good friends with Gregory Peck, who of course played Atticus Finch in the movie. She was very close to him, his wife and all his family.
    Virginia

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Yup. Harper Lee had an interesting life. As Truman Capote became a heavier and heavier drinker and as he had trouble writing anything he was quite nasty and their friendship ended.

PBS has been showing an interview with Harper Lee’s sister. Not sure what year it was or if the sister is still alive. Her sister in the interview is quite elderly and has a very gravelly voice that is at times hard to understand. But it is an experience watching it!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

She was in her 90s during the time the author of The Mockingbird Next Door was interviewing both of them. After the sister went into an assistant living place the author still visited her. She lived to be 100. According to this author she was the sweet one. She followed in her father's footsteps and became a lawyer in the same practice he worked in. She worked there even in her 90s. She was content doing this. Harper who was called Nelle in real life had a little broader horizons and therefore had traveled more.

However, Nelle still was kind of complex. She had traveled and met very famous people, but when she was living in Monroeville, Alabama she stayed in a back room of the modest house where her sister lived. It was the room her Father lived in when he was alive. They had no washer and dryer, and Nelle and this author use to take their clothes to a laundromat to wash and dry them. Alice, the sister had a lady who stayed in the room when Nelle was in New York where she kept an apartment. She died at age 89.

They were so close when I read that they were in different assistant living places, I just wondered why. Nelle had a stroke before Alice went to live in Assistant Living. I just wondered why Alice did not go to the same one. If this is mentioned please let me know.
    Virginia

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I just finished Educated, which has been reviewed on here by several people. I know Linda did. I liked the book. The story will stay with me for a long time I think.

Now, I am going to read The Invention of Wings. I remember the author from when I read The Secret Life of Bees.
    Virginia

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm trying another mystery--this time by Peter May, The Blackhouse.

And I'm going to try Elena Ferrante again. I gave up on the first book of her series of novels when I was not even halfway through it.
    It's called My Brilliant Friendand is the first of four novels with the same characters and the same story unfolding over time.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm trying another mystery--this time by Peter May, The Blackhouse.

And I'm going to try Elena Ferrante again. I gave up on the first book of her series of novels when I was not even halfway through it.
    It's called My Brilliant Friendand is the first of four novels with the same characters and the same story unfolding over time.
    I gave up too! I even bought the book on audible thinking at least I would get through it for my book club. Nope. I couldn’t even get through listening to it. Is it HBO that has it playing now?

I just finished The Women in the Castle..by Shattuck. One of the best books I have read in a long time.

All I can say is that in these cold, dark days, the books I read make me very �� happy.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Breakfast withBuddha, a delightful lfincion book about a food editoraccidentally traveling with a Buddhist monk, guru, and learned about himself and more.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    I gave up too! I even bought the book on audible thinking at least I would get through it for my book club. Nope. I couldn’t even get through listening to it. Is it HBO that has it playing now?

I just finished The Women in the Castle..by Shattuck. One of the best books I have read in a long time.

All I can say is that in these cold, dark days, the books I read make me very 😊 happy.
    About Elena Ferrante, I've heard so much talk about her books, and am aware that now there's a movie, that I thought maybe I should try harder. Also, I've heard that one of the two women who are at the center of the story disappears, and I keep wondering if she ever is found.

Then there is the question about Ferrante herself. The name is a pseudonym but it's believed that she's a translator, and some have even said that her husband might have written her books, or large parts of them. She keeps insisting that it doesn't matter who she is.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    About Elena Ferrante, I've heard so much talk about her books, and am aware that now there's a movie, that I thought maybe I should try harder. Also, I've heard that one of the two women who are at the center of the story disappears, and I keep wondering if she ever is found.

Then there is the question about Ferrante herself. The name is a pseudonym but it's believed that she's a translator, and some have even said that her husband might have written her books, or large parts of them. She keeps insisting that it doesn't matter who she is.
    Yup...Ferrante has a mask of mystery wrapped around her but I still am not going to go back to that anchor of a book.��
    By the way, the book starts with the disappearance of one girl which is the girl as an adult who leaves on her own and the book focuses on the son and friend left wondering. I think. Then the book turns around and follows the two girls through unrelenting small detail about their lives growing up...

I am sure that I was supposed to pay attention to something...the society, the economics of their lives....the paths from childhood to adulthood and the dumb luck that determines our paths....I just did not care enough to live with or within the book to follow the characters.��
    Linda~~~~

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Breakfast with Buddha is changing my life incrementally

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526