Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member

Well, I have already finished my book The Second Mrs. Hockaday. It was outstanding. I did not want to put it down. I started it last night, so stayed up a little late and then after cleaning a little today started in on it again today.

Though set in the Civil War period it was not about the war. It was about a very young bride who's husband was away fighting in the war. When he returns home she was accused of having given birth to a baby during his absence and arrested for killing it. It is also a love story, especially on her part, as she tries to protect him from the truth fearing he could not bear to know all that happened in his absence.

The writer is a play write and this is her first novel. It is amazing what a great book she wrote for her first time.
    Virginia

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I finally finished the book about the murders of members of the Osage nation. What a stunning tale of genocide, greed, indifference. The good guys shine, the FBI shined.

Now I start Suspect, by Michael Robotham, a fiction detective book. The protagonist was just diagnosed with Parkinson’s, . I read another later in the series, Shattered, and liked it.

Keep on reading!

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm reading You're the Only One I Can Tell: Inside the Language of Women's Friendships by Deborah Tannen. She's a well-known sociolinguist and some of her books have been best-sellers. This is the first book of hers I've tried. At first it seemed like just a collection of examples of bits of conversation by women, but the author makes observations as she goes along.

For instance, she found that women who confide in one another--telling things to their friends that they wouldn't normally reveal to anyone else--sometimes expect the women they confide in to reciprocate by telling them their troubles or their secrets as well. Otherwise it seems like too much of a one-way street to them.

Some even feel betrayed. They say they don't trust women who won't open up about themselves, supply details from their personal lives as well. They don't want such women as their friends.

I've only recently realized that there are people (women mainly, I guess) who feel this way.

Some people want to escape from the worst stuff going on in their lives. They don't want to talk about it. Talking about it might make it worse, not better. Whatever their reasons, they are their reasons, and in the meantime they find some comfort in just being part of a group, offering help when they can.

I don't have a problem with this kind of participation, in any group--or on any message board--or in any group. Some people are shy, reserved, quiet. I don't understand feeling uneasy about such a person.

Deborah Tannen isn't in favor of either attitude--she's just reporting that these are the attitudes and behavior that she found.

It's an interesting book, so far.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Interesting agate!

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Kitty kitamura’s -A Separation-. This is the latest Public Television book in the book club they are running. I loved it. But, it has an unusual style. I mean there is a narrator and the whole book gives us the thoughts she has as she travels to Greece to where her philandering husband is researching material to use in writing a book. It is fascinating and I had no trouble finding a lot of action in the book even though the reader is following the thoughts of the narrator as she gives us her observations. The book gives the reader a lot to think about in terms of human relationships.

Nether narrator is dealing with the unfaithful husband from whom she is separating but they had not told anyone about that decision. Then she goes to Greece where her husband is gathering information for a book he is writing. She goes there because her mother in law calls her. The husband is not responding to his cell phone. So the wife, soon to be ex wife, goes to Greece and....big shock....the reader never does meet the husband alive!
    Last edited by Lazarus; 11-13-2018 at 05:48 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Just got an email that Michelle Obama’s new book..released today..will be in my mailbox by 8:00 pm today. Love Amazon’s preordering system!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Linda, I am jealous! I want to read that book and should have put in for it already.
    Virginia

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Linda I ordered it, so at least I will get it I guess by the first of the week. I could have gotten it on Kindle and wish I had gone that route.
    Virginia

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I got Michelle Obama's book. It's really good. Personal, heartfelt, close up to her life as a child, young woman, meeting Barack and then their campaign for president. I've read about 80% of it.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I sent it to my mom. She gets it tomorrow.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324 LastLast