Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member

I finished "Firebird" by Noel Hynd and I enjoyed it.

I decided to read another one by him so I am now reading Truman's Spy. I went from the 60s and Nixon era in Firebird to the late 40s and early 50s in Truman's Spy. I have read about 1/4 of the book and it is pretty good.
    Virginia

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Just finished “ The Last Unicorn?” By PeteR Beagle. I guess I am decades away from its very popular years in the 60’s. Good reading of an allegorical fairy tale. I watched an animated movie of the book on Amazon Prime which was ok.

Now I am reading “Run” by Ann Patchett which a customer brought me to read. It is ok to good and I am 2/3 of the way through it. I am interested in the characters and the situations. This is the second book by Patchett I have read that deals with race issues. The stories are interesting and Patchett is earnest. So the books are good. The books are never complex enough to be very good. Something is missing in the development of characters...maybe that is it. But, I am having a good time reading this book.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Sunshine, I believed their love pre accident; when she discovered that he was cognizant when she returned to Alaska I think author didnít deeply explore his awakening. It would have been another 500 pages. She marked it
    But it was dealtwith shallowly . I was good with that bes cause I wanted to believe it and their love was kinda just acknowledged. I wanted to believe . FWIW
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I was enjoying Truman's Spy so much that I didn't even turn on my computer yesterday.
    Virginia

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Wow! Great recommendation Virginia!

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just finished Southern Discomfort by Margaret Maron--set in a North Carolina town. It involves a murder and seemed well told, held my interest.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I read that one Agate. I have read several of hers since they are all set in N.C. When I kind of run out of ideas I go to her books for an easy read.

Right now, I am back reading the last books that Ginny Dye wrote about the 1800s. I got the last 3 of 12. I think #13 is about to come out. They are good in parts, but then, while I do not loose interest, in other parts I would like more substance. I guess that is as good a way to put it as any I can think of. I am attached enough to the characters that I will continue to read the books as long as she continues to write them. I read a lot and run out of things that I enjoy sometime, so I keep some books that I don't have to think too much in mind for those times.
    Virginia

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I am reading PAchinko by Min Jin Lee. It is the choice of the book club of PBS and NYTimes. Really engaging story traveling through generations. Teaching me about Koreans during period of WWII when Korea was occupied by japan and some Koreans were living in Japan. The situation of human behavior in time of and in spite of war is very readable and thought provoking. So glad I stumbled on the article, bought the book and started it. Very hard to put down.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I am reading Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey. So far it’s a bit of a slog, but he has interesting comments on human nature. I had stopped reading David Baldscci book The Fallen—- so simplistic. Plot idea is good, but it was like it was written for a third grader... so, I wanted something with more depth and the Kesey book was sitting there on my shelf....

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am reading PAchinko by Min Jin Lee. It is the choice of the book club of PBS and NYTimes. Really engaging story traveling through generations. Teaching me about Koreans during period of WWII when Korea was occupied by japan and some Koreans were living in Japan. The situation of human behavior in time of and in spite of war is very readable and thought provoking. So glad I stumbled on the article, bought the book and started it. Very hard to put down.
    I ordered Pachinko after reading your review! And while I was at it I also ordered Things I never Told you by Celeste Ng, which got great reviews.

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast