Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Am rereading Living a Life That Matters by Rabbi Harold Kushner who wrote When bad things happen to good people. It was written years ago...It is thought provoking and some insights pertain to our current Presidente.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I am now reading The Bootleggers Daughter. It is a mystery by Margaret Maron. This was the first book in a series. One of the ladies in the book club brought it to me.

I think when I finish it I might get I'll Be Gone In The Dark. This is a true crime, but they say it is a very scary book. So I am not sure. It still fascinates me.
    Virginia

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I finished The Bootleggers Daughter last week. I actually enjoyed it and will probably read more in the series. It is written by a lady from this area. She then lived in Brooklyn, N.Y. and then came back here when she wrote the book. She names many places that I remember going to when I was little, such as Pullen Park. That is a park that my Mother use to take my older brother and me to when we were little. We had to catch the bus to get there. They had a Merry Go Round that was really neat - all kind of animals on it and I think it has been redone and is still there.

Today I started Cold Mountain. This is not a book that I had intended to read. It is back in the civil war era and I have read a lot of those books. However, in Sunday's paper there was an article about the author who now lives in Florida. He use to live here in Raleigh and was an English Professor at N.C. State College here. When he wrote this book back in the 90s he said a lady who owned Quail Ridge Book Store helped him so much. He said she taught him how to do readings, what to say and what not to say. Everyone who has lived here any length of time knew her. She sold the store and died shortly after selling about two years ago. The book was such a success and on the bestseller list a long time. The author won an award and invited her to go to New York to see him accept it. Her husband said it was one of the highlights of her life.

He said he had never intended to return to the civil war era, but then came upon something by accident that got him interested in Jefferson Davis's wife Varina. So he has written a book about her and he dedicated it to the lady who owned Quail Ridge Book Store. He sent one of the books along with a note to the ladies husband here in Raleigh. So I decided to read his first book Cold Mountain and then decide if I want to read this new one.
    Last edited by Virginia; 04-03-2018 at 01:15 PM.
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I have been sick with a virus so I spent all of Friday reading Cold Mountain. I can understand why Mrs Olsen, the lady who owned the book store helped this man. What a writer. This was his first novel and it stayed at the top of the best seller list for 63 weeks, won many acclaims including The Book Award. It was made into a movie starring Jude Law, Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger. I streamed the movie through Amazon onto my TV yesterday and watched that after I finished the book.
    Virginia

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Was the movie better than the book?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I enjoyed both of them. Of course the movie was not as detailed as the book, but I like all the actors in the movie, so I really enjoyed it. There were parts of the book that were kind of bad because the male protagonist was walking home from the war that he had run away from and he ran into all kind of really bad things, but then he would move on and something else would happen. One chapter would be about him and the next one about her. I really liked her in the book and also the young lady who came to live with her to help her run the farm she owned and actually to teach her how. She knew nothing, but proved to be strong.
    Virginia

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I tried the book last year. Just couldn’t get into it. Glad you liked it though!

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I am reading “The Nest” by Sweeney. The more I read the more I like.
    I had a hard time entering the story but my eyes are acting up and the print is smallish...could be that but it is probably too many characters and switching between them but..they are all siblings (4) and spouses/etc. I am happy it is interesting to follow them. Gives me lots to think about.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Linda, when a book has quite a few characters I make list of them and carry it around with me along with the book. Some books have so many people that my list runs to several pages. I jot down their names and a few facts about them.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Am reading Michael Connelly’s Echo Park. It’s very good! I read it years ago and didn’t remember it at all.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast