New kitten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New kitten

well I knew it might happen, I let my son get a kitten and it thinks I'm its mommy. I spend more time with her, I usually clean the litter box and feed her. Unfortunately they weaned her too soon and she is a licker. She was reallly bad when we first got her but she is learning.

She will be ready to get fixed soon. She is only about 12 wks. She is actually learning what no means. Never thought you could teach a cat no. I just assumed they did what they want with their snobby selves. She is a tuxedo with half a milk beard that is adorable. Shortcake continues to remind me how adorable she is lol. Yeah that's all well and good when she's not climbing your back. I have needlepoint scratches and holes on my chest, up my back, on my knees and my feet which she has a penchant for biting lol, I feel like the walking wounded.

It's all good, we've never had a cat. My mother had two when I was young but they ran away as soon as we moved.

Shortcake wants a Corgi but they shed too much and we already have two dogs. Beside, I know how well he would take care of him. I'd be the mommy there too.

Every household should have a cat in charge, and I'm glad you have one now. A few cats will understand No, in my experience, though most do their own thing and don't listen to human commands. Maybe your kitty will learn to stop biting ankles--I hope so!

You can trim her claws yourself if you learn how to do it and get the right claw clippers. There are videos on the Internet to show you how. Some people take their cats to the vet for claw clipping but you can save a lot of money by doing it yourself. Trimmed claws won't stop her from using the claws but it will make the claws a little less sharp.

I highly recommend a scratching post--now, while she's young and can easily get used to it. Some cats refuse to use scratching posts and prefer your furniture but with a bit of coaxing she can probably be persuaded to sharpen her claws on the post instead.

She'll be much less frisky as she gets older. And cats sleep a lot--16-20 hours a day. Sounds as if she's winning you over, and that's great!
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I think cats are little bundles of joy and love. I'm so glad to hear you have one!

Comment

Congratulations on being owned by a cat!

I am recently down one of my two cats. I plan to start looking for another in the new year.

ANN
        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

I'm so happy to know you're planning on another cat. Will this be a kitten or a mature cat, I wonder?
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
            I'm so happy to know you're planning on another cat. Will this be a kitten or a mature cat, I wonder?
            Not sure. Vet says kitten even tho remaining cat is 13.

I'm sure you know, cats pick us, not the other way around.
            ANN >^..^<

Comment

this kitty found me on Craigslist. i sent her mommy a bit of a note telling her that she was giving away her kittens too young. two weeks later she's desperately posting that she can't get rid of the last of the litter. By this time Bella was old enough so I snatched her up. I don't think the lady realized it was me that sent her the note.

People are so stupid when it comes to their animals. It hurts my heart to hear these people getting rid of their animals because they are moving or going to have a baby or too many kids to deal with the pet. When you get a pet they are one of your kids. You move you make arrangements to move into a pet friendly place. you're having a baby then you make sure that your pet is trained to welcome a new addition, too many kids and your stretched thin then you never should have gotten a pet. Dogs and cats live a long time and some people are not prepared to do that stretch of time. I do understand if there are extenuating circumstance.

Craigslist is full of pitbulls and part pitbulls and for some reason the black animals get the worst end of the deal. I want to go to the local shelter and find the oldest dog there, that has been there the longest and bring them home to live a good life before they pass. Not an easy task because you never really know what the animal has been through and I have animals that I want to keep safe.
              Last edited by houghchrst; 12-02-2017, 05:00 AM.

Comment

All well said.
                Thank you,

ANN

Comment

I have a war with our kitten Bella to use the computer. She like to lay between my arms while I type. When I get up she sits in my chair. She kneads and uses her nails, licks obsessively though that is getting better I put her down on the floor if she gets too annoying. She gets it. She has discovered the mouse pointer on the screen and once in a while stares at it or tries to touch it. She even watches the cursor when I am typing.

She thinks I'm her mommy. Ugh. Another child. She loves Jared though.

Comment

Obsessive licking can be hard to cure. Maybe she'll get over it as she gets older. I hope so.

My last cat Phoebe was an obsessive licker for many years. The lower half of her abdomen was hairless and sometimes had sores on it because she wouldn't stop licking. I'm not sure why she eventually stopped except that she was getting some old-age problems and may have just got tired of that project.

Comment

the obsessive licking has gotten better and she doesn't lick herself she licks the humans. When it gets too bad I just put her down. I attribute it to being force weaned too young. People are just in a hurry to get rid of the babies they didn't plan for. They should have gotten their cat fixed.

I can get Bella fixed for $40 but she has to weigh two pounds and she isn't quite that yet. She's going to be petite.

Comment

Well our kitty is almost full grown. She is about 9 months. Just as I imagined cats being lol. She does not like to be held and cuddled. She comes to us for affection though. She does fall asleep in Jared's lap when he is on the computer lol. She wants to explore everywhere kitties can go. I am slowly making things more kitty friendly thereby getting rid of some clutter. Knick knacks that aren't that important to me have gone in a box for CL.

She has an appt on the 4th to be spay and get some vaccinations. She, unfortunately, shifts in and out of heat on practically a daily basis. It's a toss up each morning lol, I feel so bad for her sometimes. She is strictly indoors but I am thinking of getting her microchipped. A new pet care clinic has opened in our city and they specialize in spay/neuter and vaccinations that low income families can afford. They also do rescue work. There is a tremendous demand, a lot of rescues and volunteers help pet owners get the shots and surgeries to help them be able to keep their pets. I have learned that this network of people are a force to be reckoned with when there is a cry for help. It's wonderful to watch it unfold through FaceBook groups

Comment

Working...
                        X