Thread: Anyone know about this resource for helpers, repairs, etc.?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Anyone know about this resource for helpers, repairs, etc.?

The latest issue of MS Focus magazine contains an article that mentions a Website called takl.com as a way of finding helpers for hire.

I looked at the Website and was wondering if anyone has had experience with it?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Agate,

Here we have Task Rabbit. I haven't used it yet but I have to get someone to clean out the basement. We also have Plowz and Moz. They both operate off of apps and are similar in operation to Uber.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Another resource mentioned in the article is Amazon Home Services. I went to look at the Webpage and found that the services are fairly specific. I couldn't find a way to get someone to take my curtains down and get them to a cleaner's, bring them back and rehang them, for instance. But I could have found someone to wash windows or wallmount a TV.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Here's another possibility. This seems to be local but other areas may offer something similar. I was handed a flyer from an organization called Providence Optimal Aging, and I called to find out more.

I could get wheelchair transportation at $28.80 per pickup plus $2.40 per mile. Someone without a wheelchair would pay $19.20 for a pickup and $2 per mile.

I could get a caregiver at $24-27/hour, but if the person stayed for 3 hours or more at a time, the cost would be $20-24 hour.

The person I was talking to about this said that their prices are higher than average.
    Last edited by agate; 12-02-2017 at 10:29 AM.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Duplicate post--deleted, with apologies

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Agate, I was not expecting that much for transportation. I would think the caregiver price would maybe depend somewhat on the level of training they have had. Anyway, out of my reach, but thanks for the info.
    Virginia

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Yes, the prices are skyhigh! To be sure, higher quality people can be found to do these services many of us need if they're going to be paid more, and certainly many of the people in those jobs are very underpaid, but many on disability income just aren't going to be to afford help at these prices.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Here because I get SSI and medicaid I can apply for what is called chore provider service through my local social service org. My doc would fill out paperwork and I submit it and they make appts. to come out and do what I need. I havent requested it in a few years. I have a 16 yr old lol. He is lazy lol, and a computer geek but he does what I tell him as long as I stay on him.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I used a service like that for many years in another state. The state I'm in now would want me to pay $195/month for the same type of service, and for the time being at least, I'd prefer not to use it. But when I had it, it worked fairly well although there were a few workers who simply didn't work out well at all. Some didn't speak any English at all, some just didn't show up, some didn't last very long--and waiting until they found a replacement was dreary because sometimes weeks would pass with no helper or substitutes who showed up with hardly any advance notice.

But there were some really good helpers--people I remained friends with. Three in fact stayed friends after they left the job, and I'm still in contact with one of them. One died, and I may have lost track of the other but didn't intend to. One of those helpers was with me for 4 years.

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I knew someone who did this type work for years. She stayed over night and was really paid well for that. However, she told me that she got so bored because she didn't have anything to do. It was a large house, but she was there only to see to this ladies needs and a maid came twice a week to clean. She got the lady up out of bed and would help with her bath and dressing and try to get her to eat something and then see that she got to bed alright. My friend had her own bedroom and bath. She and another lady switched off. Each stayed a half week, so she usually went on Sunday evening and left on Wednesday or Thursday evening and had the rest of the time off. I know that she was making a lot of money because her sisters have told me. She was not a registered nurse and had never done any nursing.
    Virginia

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"