No announcement yet.

OT November Chit Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ann, glad Lil is doing alright. That was probably traumatic for her as well as you.

Jeanie, I think we should all include your van in our prayers - on a permanent basis. I am glad you are getting it back and will be able to get some things taken care of.

Cat, you can just turn to TC and say "please take care of it" when it comes to the car. Remember to say "Honey" or "Sweetheart" in front of that. It does sound like it is really cold there.

Agate, it turned out to be a long morning for you. I don't like to drink anything in anyone's home because I am afraid I will spill it. Good for you on getting the Doctor's bill down. I remember when you got that bill. I am glad that all but your co-pay was taken care of and you don't have to worry about it anymore.
    Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
      That doctor probably did a lot of damage, Virginia. Shame on him.

I took my Lily cat to have dental surgery today. I Ubered her there at 8 AM. Not my favorite time to be up and dressed and out in the world.

Her vet woke me later at 11:45 AM to say he pulled 4 molars and cut out some "inflamatory tissue."

At 5 PM I went back and got her. The first thing she wanted bsck home was supper! I quickly mixed her antibiotic (banana flavored Clavimox) into a small portion of food. After she ate that, I gave her some more food.

Just now, I had to get to bed but I needed to give Lil her pain med. This one is liquid and I mixed it in a tad of olive oil. Success!

Husband is in Columbus for work. I miss him and also the "divide and conquer" team work.

Did I say I was tired?
      ANN
      I'm sorry you and Lily had to go through that ordeal--but in a way I'm glad you posted this account.

I've been wanting to speak up for the cat who isn't adjusting at my son and DIL's because of the other cats. Actually he's deciding to make a go of it after all, and doing better than expected, and I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

It was precisely the ordeal you just went through, ANN, that I no longer feel up to. The early-morning trips to the vet, the Clavamox and other meds, the middle-of-the-night worry, the possible surgeries. One cat of mine was probably going to need radioactive iodine treatments for a thyroid condition. She'd have had to be hospitalized, and for quite a while after she came home her urine would have been radioactive, requiring special methods of disposal....

I admire everyone who takes care of a pet.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

:) Ann glad your cat is better now. Andy said his cat's blood work was off the charts but the vet said if she is eating normally to just keep giving the antibiotics and watch her.

My mechanic brought my van here at 2 PM. They replaced the radiator and water pump and the hood release thing. The van needs work and I got an estimate of $1657.27. Today's bill was $1542.71 on Visa. I came home and Andy came. I got stamps at the post office and had my nails done. Then I hit the grocery for a few things. I feel like I have been through the wringer and am headed to bed very shortly.

I put the charger on my scooter in the van and the one I use in the house. I'm still waiting for an answer about the Hoveround for my friend. I got 2 more pairs of pajamas for Lacy in the nail today. They look a little big but I am going to wash them in hot water and see if that helps. Goodnight everyone. Jeanie :)

Comment

Jeanie, I hope the van keeps running forever. Are you keeping a list of things the mechanics are doing to it? It seems like they should have rebuilt it by now.

Hope you got plenty of groceries so you will not have to worry about that for awhile. Lacy is so lucky to have you.

I hope you sleep well.
          Virginia

Comment

Geez Jeanie, that’s a huge bill!

Comment

:) Since I overdid it yesterday I stayed in bed today until lunch. I got up; and ate a banana and some cheese and back to bed until Andy came at 3. Then I laid back down and just got up. I feel more rested.

The van should be a lot better now as the radiator and water pump were replaced. Before the radiator water was very rusty so I am sure having no rust in the water will be better. The 1600 estimate is to redo the whole AC system. I will get it done because we are still having 90 degree days.

My van is 17 years old but has been serviced every 3000 miles and anything that goes wrong has been fixed. The only wreck was when that man pulled out in front of me last year. Fixed it is like new. It only has 126000 miles on it. Used ones start at about 25 thousand and have more mileage and unknown accident info. Plus they are 8 years or older. My mechanic is a Christian and a friend and he treats me fairly. Everything in Palm each County is more expensive than anywhere else.

When my van was being repaired from that wreck I was rented a 2016 brand new ramp van with only 2000 miles on it. If I had to choose between my van and that one I would choose mine. It was impossible to use the tie downs as you had to hold a button on the floor while you attached it to your scooter and I could not do that. I just pulled the back seat belt out and put it around the handlebars.

I am going to try to run a few errands tomorrow and come home and crash if I get tired. I need to go to the bank, to the jeweler and to the battery place for phone batteries. Jeanie :)

Comment

Virginia,
                I was part of a research planning call last evening and was told that 50% of the MS population is JC virus negative meaning they can safely take Tysabri. Most of us convert to positive sometime in our 50s.

Comment

Good luck tomorrow Jeanie!

I just got home from my 7 1/2 hour infusion of IV I G. It was uneventful. There is another person with stiff person syndrome there. He has to get IV I G infusions two days every single week.

Statistics say that there are only 350 people in America with stiff person syndrome. How wild is it that two of them are at the same infusion center? Perhaps it is a bit more common than one in 1 million. Although I do enjoy saying that I am one in 1 million.!

Comment

Thanks Cherie, I will pass that info along to my friend regarding Tysabri. Although I still know of no reason to start it without first trying something like Ocrevus, but having not been on either that is just my opinion. I did tell her that the 19 year old's doctor should be better able to advise and work with her regarding her medication. Since she is getting such an early diagnosis Copaxone might be a good bet, but I am no Doctor.
                    Virginia

Comment

Back when I went to Support groups, there was a girl that was DXed at age 16. To have MS at that age is just not fair.
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                        Thanks Cherie, I will pass that info along to my friend regarding Tysabri. Although I still know of no reason to start it without first trying something like Ocrevus, but having not been on either that is just my opinion. I did tell her that the 19 year old's doctor should be better able to advise and work with her regarding her medication. Since she is getting such an early diagnosis Copaxone might be a good bet, but I am no Doctor.
                        I'm no doctor either and don't play one on TV but I have noticed in the reports on MS that I look at that the experts are favoring going at MS very early (at onset) with the big guns like Tysabri or Ocrevus. These drugs have been shown to be at their most effective at that time.

Also, I've noticed how much attention is being given to pediatric MS lately. It does show up in the very young, even in pre-adolescents.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Regarding the JC Virus, many people convert while on therapy. Joy did. And many people who convert decide to stay on their therapy because of such a low incidence on PML. Joy did that, too.

Virginia, Ocrevus, Rituxan and Tysabri are all monoclonal antibodies and can all cause PML.

ANN
                          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Cherie, I was curious to learn how the JC virus was contracted in the first place. In my search, I found this article (and several others) that state
                            The JC virus is widely distributed throughout the world. By 10 years of age, 40%–60% of the population is JCV seropositive [1–3], and by adulthood, the rate may exceed 90% [2]. The mode of transmission of this virus is unknown; no acute disease has been associated with infection.
                            Lying latent, that is until we suppress the immune system!

In reading this article further, I learned that as more sensitive tests to detect the virus are implemented, the virus has been detected in bodily fluids and secretions, where it can't be detected in others, such as the blood. Additionally, I found it interesting that the virus likely is transmitted the same way we get so many other viruses, an exposure to someone with a viral infection such as a cold or flu. I don't know of anyone who has never had or been exposed to a cold or the flu, which would explain the higher rate of JCV positive children and, even more adults.

Interesting article, although I don't understand all the technical talk! Here's the link.
                            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

I don't think we "convert", rather that it is detected because the testing has improved or that the viral load has increased enough for detection because of immune suppression.

The possibility of PML is a warning on a large number of immune suppressing drugs now.
                            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

I wouldn't be surprised if one day they discover that the JC virus is connected to all cases of MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie View Post
                              Back when I went to Support groups, there was a girl that was DXed at age 16. To have MS at that age is just not fair.
                              I agree. Sometimes there are very young patients at the infusion center. Just ain’t fair.

Comment

Thanks for letting me know that Ocrevus can also cause PML. Somehow, in that 40 to 45 minute interview that I watched with a Doctor whose name I can't remember, but is well know, that escaped me. I wonder if he mentioned it. He seemed to give almost no side affects that I can recall.

Ann, I also had a friend who was single and in her 40s, who was on Rebif. She wanted to date so she changed to Tysabri due to site reactions. I heard from her several years later and she had had a real scare. Early one morning she got a call from her Doctor in person asking her to come right away to his office. She went and they told her that there was a good chance she had PML. She told me that she cried and cried and she wrote letters to her two college age daughters for them to have after her death detailing what she wanted for their lives. Blood work had to be sent off somewhere and when it came back she did not have it. Anyway, she still stayed on Tysabri. I haven't heard from her in a long time. I wonder what happened to her.
                                Virginia

Comment

Working...
                                X