Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT November Chit Chat

Hello,, hows life treating you ?

We got our crops out, and Joe played chase/man {running wagons to the elevator},, which was always my job,, bitter sweet,, but its all right,, I got to play cook,,lol..

Weather is acting like late fall,, some snow flurries, and rain,, lots of wind,, normal Iowa weather

Halloween , we had 10 kids ,, their outfits ,, very inventive,.,

not much else,., I am doing real good with this med., hope it keeps it up,,

later then,,
    Last edited by Pegakafarmgirl; 11-01-2017, 09:36 AM.
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

Great to be feeling stronger!!

We have not had a hard frost yet so we are still picking eggplant and peppers and flowers!
    Just when I am dreaming of a long winter's nap!

I know how it feels to get medicine that helps and to feel, even a little, like the self you used to know. What a blessing.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Yay Peg! So glad Ocrevus is helping you!

Today I get my 26th IVIG infusion. It takes 7.5 hours.

Comment

I just got up and having my coffee. It feels chilly, so I turned my heat on to warm it up in here, then back off hopefully until tonight. Have a great day everyone!
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Peg, wonderful news about the new medicine. I hope it keeps getting better and better.

Howie, you sleeping in the daytime and staying up to watch TV at night now?
          Virginia

Comment

My sleep pattern is all over the place. If it goes as usual, the night before we get paid, I can't sleep because I want to be at the store at 7am, and tomorrow night will be that way especially since it will be a Friday payday. We'll see.
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Makes sense to me, Howie. Do you like getting to the store early so you can avoid the crowds?
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I know I do. To be sure I get the motorized cart!

The lady is coming to house today to measure me for a wheelchair. On Monday, I go to PT to be evaluated to see if qualified for medicare to cover wheelchair, and if so, what kind, i.e. ultralight or ultra heavy :)
                Last edited by Sunshine; 11-02-2017, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Glad folks are making progress, the good kind! Peg, especially glad to hear that you've found something that works.

ANN
                  There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Peg, you've been brave and tried quite a few remedies already. It really is good to know that Ocrevus is tolerable and seems to be helping. Looks as if real progress is being made.

Yesterday I went to the lab for routine lab work and, even though it took 25 minutes to get checked in there, thanks to a clerk who apparently was brand new on the job, they did get the results posted on MyChart in record time. They were there this AM.

Looks as if everything was good, and that is always good news.

The HbA1C was 5.2, which is within the good range of 4.3 to 6.That's almost always where it's been ever since I started watching the blood sugar back in 1985. I'm very pleased about this!

Twice a year I go for these fasting tests and take my own breakfast in my handbag, to eat while I wait for the van to take me home. It's easier than going to the building's cafeteria. Breakfast comes at lunchtime and then lunch is in mid-afternoon when I'm home. Yesterday's take-along breakfast was a high-fiber bar, a reduced-fat mozzarella cheese stick, a few raisins, and 6 oz. of V8 juice.

They actually did a vitamin D test. I've been on this high dose of vitamin D3 (5,000 IU/day) for quite a few years now. This time it was 70.2ng/ml. The lab test result states that over 100 would be "potential toxicity." The last time this was checked was 4 years ago, and it was 76.3. The doctor at that time was aiming for 80.

The vitamin D3 dosage was the same 4 years ago but the blood level has gone down somewhat in those 4 years. Maybe more vitamin D needs to be added--I'll ask when I see the doctor.

The cholesterol readings and even the potassium were all really good. The potassium can be borderline at times (low) but if I watch the diet very carefully I can get it back up again.

BBS, good luck with the wheelchair evaluation. I believe that if your doctor prescribes a wheelchair for you, Medicare will cover it? Or does Medicare now want you evaluated by a physical therapist? Guess Medicare still picks up 80% of the bill and the rest is up to your insurance or you yourself?
                    Last edited by agate; 11-02-2017, 08:06 AM.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I've been watching UFO documentaries as I do most every day. Agate, I want to hit the store early as you guessed, to avoid the crowd, AND to cut my walking distance to a minimum.

I am lucky in that the Food Lion where I shop has an abundance of the motorized carts. There must be 4 at least. I will try to not sleep tonight, but if I can't, then I will go later, and only buy a few things to get me through the weekend, and come back on Monday.

Either way, I also have to go to CVS for my meds. They open at 8, so I have to spend an hour in the store, and then get my meds. It's a balancing act to time it just right.

Later today, I will get my one check ready to mail when I leave in the morning. Then tomorrow after the store and CVS, I'll come home, and pay the electric bill online, then everything is on auto-pay. I'll have everything done, and the rest of the month, is free.

Doesn't that sound like a plan?

Have a great day everyone!
                      Last edited by Howie; 11-02-2017, 12:11 PM.

Albert Einstein

Comment

I am lucky in that the Food Lion where I shop has an abundance of the motorized carts. There must be 4 at least.
                        That is an abundance! Stores I'm familiar with may have one or two, and sometimes they're all in use or the battery is dead or something else is wrong.

Having a chronic neurological disorder forces a person to do a balancing act as you call it!

My trip to the lab yesterday, for instance. I've been to this building many times in the last 8 years, and there's always been a public restroom on each floor. It has a standard door, not an automatic door, but once in there, there's plenty of room for the wheelchair.

Then about a year ago they installed a door lock. You can't open the door without a special code. I dug up someone who knew the code and wrote it down. I never travel there without making sure I have that code on me.

Yesterday I was armed with my code and felt I was really all set. But the code didn't work. I was trying it over and over, and some man told me the code he'd used. Another man gave me a similar code with one digit different. I tried them both. One of them worked!
                        By then I was rattled enough to forget which one it was that worked.

I made a trip to the reception desk to find out the right code. I thought I could remember it but by the time I got on the van I realized I should have written it down.

I rummaged among my things but no pen or pencil turned up. I wrote the code on a scrap of paper using a lip balm stick.

When I got home I could barely read what I'd written but I transferred the number to my handbag in clearly written numbers. I have to go back there in a week or two and can only hope they won't have changed the code again.

I'm trying to figure out why they did this. In a building that is entirely labs and medical offices, in a neighborhood that looks quiet and residential, why?

Maybe too many people are using the public bathrooms to shoot up drugs?

Comment

Yay for Peg and Agate! Glad something's doing ya good, Peg. And Agate, good work!
                          Hubby started at a new doctor (his old one had the gall to retire!) so he had lab work done too. All is good. Doc said he likes vitamin D levels at 60. DH is to take
                          5000 IU/day.
                          Two years ago my doctor checked my D level and it was . . . drum roll, please . . . 4! I was put on 50,000 IU/week for a couple months. My doctor has since moved, so I need to get set up with the new doc. I'm sure my D has tanked again so I started taking 10,000 IU/day for a few days and will reduce it to 5,000 IU/day tomorrow. I found the articles posted here, about D3 and MS interesting, especially the study about taking it with or without calcium. I sure don't need kidney problems, and find calcium supplements cause me issues.

Only one trick or treater again this year. Wish I could see the grandkids, but at least I get pictures. Tula was an owl (her choice) and Everett was a snow tiger. Neither of the grands eat candy, but join festivities anyhow. Parents give the kids organic fruit snacks instead! They are so young, they don't know the difference . . . yet!
                          My daughter has fond memories of me making costumes every year, so she is following the tradition. I must say, she is creative and doing a great job while "winging it" and learning to sew. Here are the little animals!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yay for Peg and Agate! Glad something's doing ya good, Peg. And Agate, good work!
                            Hubby started at a new doctor (his old one had the gall to retire!) so he had lab work done too. All is good. Doc said he likes vitamin D levels at 60. DH is to take
                            5000 IU/day.
                            Two years ago my doctor checked my D level and it was . . . drum roll, please . . . 4! I was put on 50,000 IU/week for a couple months. My doctor has since moved, so I need to get set up with the new doc. I'm sure my D has tanked again so I started taking 10,000 IU/day for a few days and will reduce it to 5,000 IU/day tomorrow. I found the articles posted here, about D3 and MS interesting, especially the study about taking it with or without calcium. I sure don't need kidney problems, and find calcium supplements cause me issues.

Only one trick or treater again this year. Wish I could see the grandkids, but at least I get pictures. Tula was an owl (her choice) and Everett was a snow tiger. Neither of the grands eat candy, but join festivities anyhow. Parents give the kids organic fruit snacks instead! They are so young, they don't know the difference . . . yet!
                            My daughter has fond memories of me making costumes every year, so she is following the tradition. I must say, she is creative and doing a great job while "winging it" and learning to sew. Here are the little animals!

Comment

Cute kids and highly original costumes, nuthatch!

I wasn't allowed to go trick or treating, partly because even back then it was junk food that was given out. Kids get entirely too much of it as it is, I think.

But the other day there was a segment on the PBS-TV newshour about a program where little kids are encouraged to grow their own vegetables and learn to appreciate them, tell them apart and prepare them. The point of the program is to prevent childhood obesity but even kids who are at no risk of becoming obese would benefit from this hands-on experience with vegetables, IMO:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Your vitamin D level was 4? How have you been feeling? And don't you live in a sunny area and spend quite a bit of time outdoors?
                              Last edited by agate; 11-02-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X