OT November Chit Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agate View Post
    Is this streaming Netflix? Or the DVDs you get in the mail?

I've been aware of this hugging practice for quite a while now but then I've been older for quite a while. I always try hard not to show that it's a tad unsettling.
    Nobody except good friends and family hug me. I do not allow it. An obnoxious woman recently bent in to hug me, I told her I did not want to hug. She responded, “but I do want to hug you”, And she physically came too close and try to initiate a hug again. I turned my body to the side and gently moved her away.

Now, when I know I will be in a public gathering with her, I always ask my husband to intervene if she gets close. Being this physically incapable now, I worry that she will tip me off balance even!

But with the Safeway delivery boy, that is very bizarre that he would say he would date you if he was 10 years older. I do not like what was in his mind. I would find that very intimidating.

Comment

BBS, what happened to you borders on becoming a physical assault if you hadn't got out of the way, seems to me!

Then there are the people who are too fast and don't allow you any choice. The delivery guy was like that. Once a woman who did home haircuts cut my hair and when she was done announced "I always give my clients a big hug" while she was doing the hug.

A person should have a choice. Unless of course it's family who are in the habit of hugging whenever they meet, which is another matter entirely.

My family has always been like that but most of us were so far-flung that we didn't meet all that often. Back then you went to meet your family at the bus/train station or airport and of course you hugged them when you saw them. You hadn't seen them in ages!

Strangers, though, are still--strangers.

Yes, balance is a concern. Also, what if a person has a colostomy or ileostomy bag? A surprise hug might really cause a problem there....
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

:) I seem to always be posting bad news. Today I went to get my hair done and planned to take Lacy to have her nails cut and stop for sodas while they are buy one get one free.

Hair went fine. Grocery store out of the sodas I like so got a rain check. When I was coming out of the grocery my scooter forward/reverse levers became loose and I could hardly control it. I managed to get it back in the van and drove to the mobility place. They were closing early and sent me to a medical supply.

I managed to get it into the medical supply store. They took it in the back and tried to fix it but no luck. They called Rally and they don't make parts for my model anymore. So I had to come home.

I'm supposed to go to Jim's for TG dinner tomorrow. I just hope I don't break anything when it goes out of control. Jim said he would look at it. I have an old Rally and it does not work but I kept it for parts and I hope it has whatever this one needs. I will have to wait for Jim to come here though.

My sister from Tennessee will be in Ft. Lauderdale this weekend and wanted us to come have dinner with them. If I don't get the scooter working right we might have to pass on that.

Lacy needs her nails done. I hope maybe Andy can take her for me. I am really sad that I have to have so much help. I hope all of you have a nice Thanksgiving. Jeanie :)

Comment

I'd like in on the group hug Howie suggested. Volunteers only.

You might remember that I was going back and forth to the vet w Lily for her teeth. I have been giving her abx for 2 weeks.
          She is fine. All better. But her brother, Kofi, became distended so I took him to Angell Mem. Animal Hospital on Monday.

He had a sono, ua and kidney tests w electrolytes. I was told (after 3 hours) all was stellar. That he did have crystals in his bladder but his bladder was not distended and they sent us home. I was so glad to get out of there, I didn't realize that they did nothing for the chief complaint of abdominal distention.

He was better Monday night and Tues morning but was so distended he could barely walk today. Back to Angell. He has ascites, probably from lymphoma and is in ICU.

We are so sad. Kofi is Peter's "dog." He is my love bunny during the day. We asked to bring him home if the are not doing tests over the weekend. Hoping for that.

I have no energy to do Thanksgiving. If we were having my mom that would be fine. Grilled cheese or a restaurant would be OK. Peter's mom wants us to go to trouble and make a fuss. So I am working on the table and Peter is out shopping.

I want the hug, just not from Agate's grocery guy.

ANN
          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Oh, Jeanne, I missed your post. I know how much you need your scooter. I hope one of your sons can fix it. Don't you have a smaller back up? Could you use that one?

Best to you,
            ANN

Comment

Oh, ANN, I'm sorry to hear about your furbaby! Pets and kids seem always to get sick on the holiday or over a weekend, when doctors aren't available!

TC and I are having a quiet holiday. I'm cooking a chicken, with potatoes, fresh green beans and dressing. I gotta have dressing; TC not so much :) The furkids like the chicken -- they get a few scraps at the end.

But I am doing some holiday stuff -- made a batch of cranberry conserve today -- 5 pints worth. It freezes, so we'll have a pint tomorrow (and the next few days, with leftovers), and the rest in the freezer (did I ever tell you how much I like my freezer?? ) So I made the cranberry today, cleaned the beans, had TC bring up the jars I need fore the rest of the stuff:

Some cranberry mustard, some lemon-lime curd (sounds ugly, but its' really a lemon-lime spread, made with eggs, butter, sugar), and the big project, plum pudding...which isn't a pudding as we think of it, but instead a steamed bread, like fruitcake, only using real fruit -- raisins, cranberries, nuts, --, bread, rum....then put in a kettle and steamed for 6 hours.

I also want to make beer mustard, but that may happen later in December.

Then there are a few cookies that TC wants me to make. I'll see just how much energy I have for that...
              ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Comment

Those of you who know me know that I am a hugger but I do not impose hugs on folks I don't know or only know casually.

ANN so sorry about Kofi. Jeanie I wish you had all new reliable equipment. I worry about you.

So I don't wipe out tomorrow, I made the bread today and peeled and cut up the potatoes to cook tomorrow and made the dressing to stuff tomorrow. Heather is doing all the vegetables and Becky is bringing pie and cranberry. I can't remember the last time I did this little prepping for a Holiday meal.

Comment

Agate, like Ann I'll take a group hug. Especially since Howie initiated it.

Ann, so very sorry about Kofi. We do love them so much. I am sorry you are having to do Thanksgiving when you are really not up to it, but I volunteer Peter to help.

Jeanie, I am like Cherie as far as your van and scooter go. I just wish you had new or very reliable ones. I hope Jim can fix this one with little trouble.

Cherie, sounds like a very good Thanksgiving dinner to me. I know you all will enjoy it.

I am in the midst of watching my 2nd movie on Netflix. Agate, I have a Roku which I stream Netflix through. Right now I am having a little bit of a problem figuring it all out. I want to stream from Amazon Prime, which is free since I have Prime, but I haven't had time to try and figure that out. I don't want to stream from just Amazon and have to pay for it.
                  Virginia

Comment

ANN, I'm so sorry about your Kofi! Under the circumstances, maybe Peter's mom won't mind if you aren't doing all the trimmings in honor of Thanksgiving?

Cherie, ANN, and Cat Dancer--and anyone else who is standing over a hot stove just now--there are times when less is more. One well turned-out bowl of homemade cranberry sauce might have to do if the cook runs out of energy. Or delegate tasks?

Jeanie, I hope you can go through with the Thanksgiving plans. It's terrible how difficult it is to get needed help when there's a holiday!

I hope everyone will have a pleasant Thanksgiving even though holidays can be difficult for those with MS.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

:) Thanks everyone. I'm saying prayers that Jim can fix it. I can take my little house one but I am going to use the broken one on a slow speed so I don't hit anything and hope Jim can fix it while I am there.

Sorry about Kofi. I will add him to my prayers.

I will let y'all know tomorrow how I made out at TG. Have a wonderful day everyone. I'm thankful for all of you. Jeanie :)
                      Last edited by Jeanie Z; 11-22-2017, 05:02 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

ANN ita like a family member our furbabies are,, so sorry for all of this,,

Jeanie,, gosh darn it,, seems like if not for bad luck, you would have no luck at all , hope you get that scooter fixed,

It was 15 degrees this morning,, brrrrr,,We are smoking ribs and inviting our friends over tomorrow,, our son;s have plans,, no biggie,,

so Happy Turkey Day !!
                        " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

Comment

Oh, Peg, it sounds like a good, laid back day. Wish We could do that here. Sorry about the 15 degrees. Isn't it a bit early for a temp that low there?

ANN

Comment

Hugs for Ann and anyone else who needs one.

We weren't going to do anything for Thanksgiving since it's just the two of us again. Kids are too far away and I can't travel any more. But this morning DH decided he would do a turkey dinner anyhow! He's a last minute kind of guy! Off to the store he went to get all the fix-ins, even cut up the pumpkin we had and pressure cooked it to make pie with! I see days of turkey in my future, but lots to be grateful for!

Jeanie, have you thought about using the electric wheelchair you bought for your friend, just until your scooter gets fixed? It's probably more comfortable and easier to use and load in your van than the scooter. Just a thought.

Close to 90 degrees here today. Drops into the 40s or 50s at night. Had frost two nights ago. Fruit trees and my ginko tree dropped almost all leaves. Weather doesn't know what it's doing!

Wishing everyone a peaceful Thanksgiving.

Comment

:) Nuthatch I thought of using the Hoveround but I am not used to the joy stick and ran into the walls and furniture. I can walk a short distance with two people on either side if I have to. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Jeanie :)

Comment

Jeanie, I am not familiar with Hoveround, but on my wheelchair there are 4 different speeds. There are also variations within each speed level by moving a slide switch on the right of the controller, that can make the chair go from a crawl to faster. The switch on my chair shows a tortoise/turtle (slow) or a hare/rabbit (fast).

I use my chair on speed 1 and set the other switch halfway between the turtle and the rabbit. Works well for indoors. Occasionally my husband moves my chair when I'm not in it and kicks it up to speed 2 and forgets to put it back. I notice right away. The chair is much more jerky in speed 2. If I am unsure about squeezing into a tight space, I move the side switch down to turtle and the chair inches along very, very slowly. Once I'm pulled up to a table for a meal, I turn the power off so that the chair won't move if the joystick is accidentally bumped. It's just a matter of getting used to it and setting it to what your comfortable with.

I would recommend practicing operating the chair outdoors at first . . . less things to bump into. An empty parking lot or cul-de-sac, just like when you learned to drive a car!

p.s. If at any time you feel out of control, simply let go of the joystick. The chair will stop on a dime, there is no "coast" in electric chairs!

Again, just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X