Property tax reduction for permanently disabled:Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property tax reduction for permanently disabled:Florida

I just found out that in the state of Florida, there is a $500 homestead exemption, resulting in @ $50 less of property taxes if you have a permanent disability. The local government told me I just need to show my handicap plaquard.

In Florida, full-time residents get what is called a homestead exemption. This reduces your tax basis by $50,000. For example, if your home is assessed for $150,000, and you have a homestead exemption, then you only pay tax on $100,000.

I think I got the numbers right. Maybe Jeanie knows.

I wonder if Jeanie knows @thisexemption...I also wonder whether other states have a similar program.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 10-30-2017, 11:43 AM.

BBS, I remember this from a friend who lived here in North Carolina and bought a second home in Deltona, Fla. She couldn't get the homestead exemption because she resided here part-time.

The only thing N.C. has is if you are very far below poverty level you get an exemption. But you really do have to be pretty bad off financially to qualify. Nothing for the disabled.
    Virginia

Comment

:) I get the regular deduction and the one for disability. When David was alive we also got a service deduction. After he died they said they would not remove it, so I still get that deduction too. My house is paid for and all I have are utilities, insurance and the reduced taxes.

My van is paid for too but services for it, gas and insurance add up. I have a fixed income but manage well because I had put up 401's years ago. I am so grateful to not have to worry much about bills as I did in the past.

Jim came today and changed my linens and tacked the gutter out front up better. He is getting a lot of surveying jobs now and has little time. He said today he feels Andy needs to do more here as he will wind up with my house eventually. I do not know that.

I bought candy for Halloween but I did not have but about 40 kids last year. I am going to turn out the porch light at 9 PM and leave the candy bu the door. I put the gate in the doorway so Lacy can't get out but can see the kids. Jeanie :).
      Last edited by Jeanie Z; 10-30-2017, 04:26 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Jeanie, my DH said that the $500 exemption would only result in $5 net. Can that be true?

Only 40 kids? LOL! We get zero kids year after year. Likely because we live at the end of a long heavily wooded unfindable dirt drive that looks haunted.
        Last edited by Sunshine; 10-31-2017, 01:19 AM.

Comment

:) I do not know what it amounts to. My total taxes are right at $700.00 per year. When I bought this house in 1964 it was $15,500.00. Now it is worth 80 to 100 thousand. I think I would pay way over one thousand in taxes without the deductions. I do not carry house insurance as in these 40 plus years we have had no damage and I do nothing that would cause a fire.

OT - I notice when I am typing I often type the letters in a word in the wrong order. I have to proof read and change things every time. Maybe tired brain.

Andy is coming to give out trick or treats as he does not want me by myself with the door open. We do have gangs in the neighborhood and they do trick or treat. Jeanie :)

Comment

I usually have two to four kids. Sometimes none. Of course all of you can guess who ends up eating the candy.
            Virginia

Comment

Virginia, if you need help with that leftover candy, just let me know.
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Drop by at Jeanie's after 9 PM, Howie. She's leaving the candy outside the door. No need to knock and bother her.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I didn't get even one!! Guess they don't like my candy, in addition to the fact that we have almost no kids in this neighborhood.
                  Virginia

Comment

We got tons of kids here at Mom's.

Now in bed reading. Tired as usual.

Flying tomorrow. Home in evening.
                    ANN
                    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Have a good trip Ann! I assume Peter is there to help you, I sure hope so.
                      Virginia

Comment

Yes, happy landings, ANN!

Can you sleep on the plane?

Virginia, it's so sad that the trick or treaters might not have liked your candy! Would it cheer you up if some of us dropped by to take it off your hands?
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Only one trick or treater here, a monarch butterfly. I asked her if she wanted candy or would perfer milkweed . . . ha ha, guess what the answer was?

Comment

No trick or treaters in this building--not allowed.

Back in Chicago I recall trick or treaters starting in mid-afternoon and going on until fairly late at night. Living in a place with a front and a back entrance, I stayed busy answering both doors all during that time. It was a never-ending stream of kids. A few looked almost beyond the kid stage, over the hill for trick or treating. Hmm.

Comment

:) Palm Beach County always sends the tax bills on Nov. 1st. I got mine and it went down to $662.22 if paid in Nov. I mailed it today. Jeanie :)

Comment

Working...
                              X