Thread: New shingles vaccine (Shingrix) recommended if you're over 50

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default New shingles vaccine (Shingrix) recommended if you're over 50

Even if you've already been vaccinated against shingles (herpes zoster) with Zostavax, it's recommended that people over 50 get the new Shingrix vaccine, which is given in two separate doses.

If you look at the prescribing instructions, this new vaccine isn't indicated for anyone on an immunosuppressant.

Also, this recommendation passed by a narrow margin, and the dissenters had concerns about long-term safety issues.

From NEJM Journal Watch, October 26:

CDC Advisers Recommend New Herpes Zoster Vaccine over Zostavax

By Kelly Young

Edited by Susan Sadoughi, MD, and Richard Saitz, MD, MPH, FACP, DFASAM

The CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices voted on Wednesday to recommend use of the newly approved herpes zoster vaccine, Shingrix.

The inactivated, recombinant subunit, two-dose vaccine was recommended in a 12-to-1 vote for adults aged 50 years and older. The other shingles vaccine on the market, Zostavax, is recommended only for those aged 60 and older.

Here are some of the data presented to the committee:

• Shingrix had 97% efficacy in those aged 50–69 and 91% efficacy in older adults.
    • Efficacy was at least 85% at 4 years post-vaccination in patients aged 70 and older.
    • Thirteen people in their 50s — and 11 in their 60s — would need to be vaccinated to prevent one zoster case.
    • Shingrix was more efficacious than Zostavax, particularly for older adults.

The committee also voted to recommend Shingrix for patients who've previously received Zostavax, with at least 8 weeks between vaccines.

The vote to recommend Shingrix over Zostavax narrowly passed by 8 to 7. Dissenters expressed concerns about supply, unknown long-term safety issues, and lack of head-to-head comparisons.

ACIP meeting information (Free)
    Shingrix prescribing information (Free PDF)
    Background: HIV and ID Observations blog post about Shingrix (Free)
    Last edited by agate; 10-26-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I should talk to PCP about it. I too worry about unknown long term effects.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

More on the new shingles vaccine:

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/self...53aea-87925361
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

We had a lengthy discussion about this on the Multiple Sclerosis Nurses forum about 4 years ago when it was recommended that anyone with a negative zoster titer be given vaccine. The nurses said , almost as one, that they use one dose of chicken pox vaccine prior to patients going onto a disease modifying therapy (Gilenya and Lemtrada currently require this) (generally it is 2 doses of either chicken pox or shingles vaccine) because it is a live virus in both vaccines and if someone has been on any of the disease modifying therapies they could actually develop chicken pox or shingles from the vaccine and are at much higher risk of herpes encephalitis which is often deadly. They did not recommend anyone with MS and on a disease modifying therapy get the shingles vaccine. I had a negative titer when drawn to see about trying Gilenya but I had the chicken pox in 1958 (major!) and have also had shingles confirmed three times in adulthood. My neuro recommends I NOT get a shingles vaccine.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

As long as I have been on the MS therapies I do not think that I would even consider it. My PCP is letting me keep a few Valtrex capsules, so if I think I am coming down with it I can start taking them right away and then contact her. But in case it is week-end or Holliday we thought I should have some on hand.
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As long as I have been on the MS therapies I do not think that I would even consider it. My PCP is letting me keep a few Valtrex capsules, so if I think I am coming down with it I can start taking them right away and then contact her. But in case it is week-end or Holliday we thought I should have some on hand.
    I have taken Valtrex daily for many years to prevent HSV2 outbreak since it triggers MS flare for me.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
    We had a lengthy discussion about this on the Multiple Sclerosis Nurses forum about 4 years ago when it was recommended that anyone with a negative zoster titer be given vaccine. The nurses said , almost as one, that they use one dose of chicken pox vaccine prior to patients going onto a disease modifying therapy (Gilenya and Lemtrada currently require this) (generally it is 2 doses of either chicken pox or shingles vaccine) because it is a live virus in both vaccines and if someone has been on any of the disease modifying therapies they could actually develop chicken pox or shingles from the vaccine and are at much higher risk of herpes encephalitis which is often deadly. They did not

recommend anyone with MS and on a disease modifying therapy get the shingles vaccine. I had a negative titer when drawn to see about trying Gilenya but I had the chicken pox in 1958 (major!) and have also had shingles confirmed three times in adulthood. My neuro recommends I NOT get a shingles vaccine.
    Do they know if the new vaccine is a live or killed virus?

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    Do they know if the new vaccine is a live or killed virus?
    Shingrix is a non-live, subunit vaccine
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/25/health...ine/index.html

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Hey suz Q— great to see you. How are you. I missed you :)

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"