Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: JPT... LarryLDN Check in

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Larry, looks like you are clearly seeing some parts of the country. That is a good thing. I hope you stay safe on the roads. I wonder how long you plan to do this. Tracking where you have been was very interesting.

Hope you continue to have a good time.
    Virginia

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Cool

I grew in to it. In 2009 I rented RVs for 7 1 week trips to go to Bluegrass Festivals in the NY/NJ/PA/CT area. When I moved to Florida in 2010 I figured I'd not be going to those festivals anymore. But then in 2011 a friend's son was getting married up in Lake George (NY) & I got the idea to rent an RV & go! Unfortunately, the best laid plans, and all that... the RV rental had some mechanical issues & I was delayed twice. I never made it up to the wedding (& it rained & rained up that way), so I ended up in Gettysburg instead the weekend of their annual festival. So the RV changed my plans but I had a much better time LOL

Then I rented again in 2012 for a short trip (renting is expensive!) and really got the bug in 2013 when I took a 53 day trip, got back & rented for a 25 day trip right after. But I couldn't keep renting. Much longer story short, I bought an RV in December (2013) so 2014&15 were 7+ month trips, & the last 3 I left later but pretty much got home the same time.

I guess MS & LDN let me live my RV Dreams. When married we rented a few times in the 80s & 90s... 97 was the last... I imagined travelling with my wife once we retired if we could.. but career & children were priorities making it an impossible dream... especially after the MS got the better of me shortly after 97...

So I am living my dream.. just not how ever imagined.

The last few years I've been 'boon-docking' with my generator in Walmart lots or Cabelas, safe rest areas, Cracker Barrels... I really like the Walmarts but more and more are no longer allowing it. I have Apps that help so much though! Like RVParky that shows where they are & if they allow it.

I'm having a GFI electrical issue suddenly & my friend replaced the GFI & now it don't work at all. Hopefully he wired it wrong. Will find out next week, I hope.

This is my RV just after being washed & waxed in November.

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks, Larry, I find it fascinating. I like the idea of traveling like a turtle w your house on your back. Iíve just started to follow some YouTube RVers like Carolyn Caravan.

Best to you,
    ANN
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - LarryGC/LarryLDN MSWatchers MyStory
    - DX 07/31/02 RRMS; Taking LDN since 4/17/03

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Cool

In 2014&15 I was to 3 of the 4 extremes (NW, NE, SE), Neah Bay (NWW) & Blane (NWN) WA, Houlton (NEE), Madawaska (NEN) & Lubec ME & Key West. I find when I'm out on the road most people are decent, at least the ones I've interacted with. Maybe I avoided the horrible areas but there were some nights & places I didn't feel safe but luckily made it thru them.

Most of my Problems are either the RV issues or my MS & physical issues. Most of my external battles are weather related. I've been in some scary ones. In 2017 I Was even crashed into, on the Grand Island (NY) bridge, 2 miles from my destination that night. Found a chiro there the next day & saw him last year when I passed thru.

I have chiropractors I see all over. 4 in 5 areas in Florida, 1 in GA, NC, GI NY, LI NY, SI NY & NJ and I found one in Rapid City SD in 2014. So 11 in all. I see my neuro once a year but I go chiropractor hopping on my way up north & back.

As for traveling alone in my RV I hope to do it as long as I can, my friend & I customized my RV quite a bit & it now has over 57500 miles on it. With all the tweeks I now have 2 TVs, a TiVo, router & Jetpack. My cell, laptop, an iPad & just got a samsung tablet when up in Delaware. I just got 2 new coach batteries & I have 2 inverters that powers all my electronics.

I didn't bring that GPS for tracking in 2016, I figured I had them in 2014 & 15 for the big trips. But then on my way out in 2017 I grabbed it & also in 2018. It tells me exactly where I am, how fast I'm moving & the elevation. It's great how it goes on Google Earth for the blue line path..

I share my trips on Twitter & Tumblr. I take way too many pics. I also have an old Droid cell on my dash, I have it record all driving. I don't know if they'll ever be watched again but when I can't drive anymore I may review my travels.

I also still geocache. Between 2014&2015 I found geocaches in the of lower 48 states & also New Brunswick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    Hi Larry, looks like you are clearly seeing some parts of the country. That is a good thing. I hope you stay safe on the roads. I wonder how long you plan to do this. Tracking where you have been was very interesting.

Hope you continue to have a good time.
    Last edited by LarryLDN; 03-30-2019 at 01:54 AM.

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

After my brother's first wife died, he remarried and for a few (not many, like you) years they traveled in a motor home. It was very big and hard to drive and harder to get a parking place for it than yours. They live in S.C., but would go to Montana and many other places and maybe park in a motor home site and stay for 2 to 4 weeks. They had to haul a car or some other vehicle on the back of the motor home which made it even larger. My brother got kind of tired of driving it and finally they bought a house in a community in Florida that was for people with motor homes. They did that for a couple of years and then moved to a place just outside of Hilton Head, SC. They have been there and settled in for a number of years. They said they lost a lot of money on the motorhome, but enjoyed it for awhile. I remember it having a queen size bed, a nice shower, a nice kitchen with modern stuff in it. But even though they had a stove to cook on, if they ate at home they mostly grilled out.

My brother was tired of it before his wife because he had to do all the driving and it was long. They would come through where I live in Raleigh, NC a couple of times a year and since they would only stay a couple of nights they would try to find a Walmart or a place like you were talking about to park it. They met lots of people and had a good time, but it was time for them to give it up.
    Virginia

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Special thanks to LarryLDN for putting a link to the BrainTalk boards on his homepage!
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I just got access to update those pages again, 2011 was the last time I was able to
    Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    Special thanks to LarryLDN for putting a link to the BrainTalk boards on his homepage!

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

It was getting very expensive to rent & with nothing but pictures after. I'm not sure if it's not been just as expensive to own, but I sure get 7 months for the cost of just weeks renting. Then again, when things break, while renting, I only have to spend the time on the road getting it fixed, They pay.

But I've been enjoying my journey each year & one thing for sure, I couldn't do what I do any other way. Can't fly, rent cars & hotels by comparison. Not with my schedule & issues.

As long as I am alone I'll do it as long as I can. But it's getting tougher & tougher for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    After my brother's
    .... They met lots of people and had a good time, but it was time for them to give it up.

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Larry, I hope you can continue to travel for as long as you want. It certainly is a good way to see our beautiful country.
    Virginia

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123