Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grab bars and...

Distinguished Community Member

My dad's visiting nurse said those chairs are very heavy. She said to get an engineer to assure that our living room floor (over a basement) could hold it.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Agate, the lift chairs are operated by a remote control. There are different buttons for each function on the chair - back recline/sit up, footrest up/down, help to stand. Some even have a vibrate option. You can stop them anywhere you want or make them only go as high as you need to help get up to a stand. They come in a variety of sizes, fabrics and styles. I would not recommend leather or faux leather because that can be slippery and yes, you could slide out onto the floor. Not all lift chairs can go back all the way into the trundelenburg position, where the feet are slightly higher than the heart, but some do. Expect those chairs to cost more.

You need an electrical outlet nearby. They do have a battery backup in case there is an outage, so you won't be stuck in your chair.
    I see them on craig's list all the time, for much less than new, but since incontinence is a common problem of the elderly and disabled, a good nose is helpful when buying used.

Edited to add, when I got a new chair (my old one was too big and the seat was too deep for me) we sold my old one for $50 to a man who wanted it to sleep in. It was just the right size for him. He lived alone and had trouble getting up, out of his bed. We delivered it and set it up for him. We have seen him several times since and he tells us it made life much easier for him and he sleeps well in it every night!
    Last edited by nuthatch; 10-15-2017 at 08:48 PM.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Re the current shower.

It's small. I put down rubber mats so I don't slip which helps. I find myself feeling unsteady. DH red suction grab bar as a Just in case measure. But, would they pop off if I use to to steady myself when I worry about unsteadiness?

I don't see how could install grab bar without breaking the waterproof seal on the monolithic piece of Stiff vinyl that lines the shower walls. The chairs are awful low, doubt I could easily rise from them.

There is a built in seat, but it's too low now that I can't rise unaided from a low seat.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If we're talking about the same thing, I looked up suction grab bars on Amazon and found a typical one but the ratings score wasn't good--only 49% gave it 5 stars, and some of the comments indicated that it is apt to come off.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Good information for everyone. Way back when my Father had a stroke, he was unable to use a lift chair because he could get pitched forward when he tried to stand. They would have been improved a lot since then. This was in the mid 70s to mid 80s.
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Re the current shower.

It's small. I put down rubber mats so I don't slip which helps. I find myself feeling unsteady. DH red suction grab bar as a Just in case measure. But, would they pop off if I use to to steady myself when I worry about unsteadiness?

I don't see how could install grab bar without breaking the waterproof seal on the monolithic piece of Stiff vinyl that lines the shower walls. The chairs are awful low, doubt I could easily rise from them.

There is a built in seat, but it's too low now that I can't rise unaided from a low seat.
    My bath chair, which I use in my shower, has adjustable legs, lower and higher. It costs more, but worth it. It also has a back, which is good if you're not steady sitting down. You could get one of those and not use the built in seat.

The suction cup grab bars are NOT safe unless you have an absolutely clean flat wall, and an absolutely tight seal. Almost impossible.

You can indeed install a grab bar into the stiff vinyl. You just need to find a gasket at any hardware or building supply store (take the dimensions of the grab bar with you), and screw through the gasket to the wall studs. Or there is sealant that you can apply around the outside edge of the bar and wall - the sealant is clear, so it won't mar the color of the wall. You DO need to locate the studs behind that vinyl wall. There is a tool called a "stud finder" that can help you do that. It signals the metal in the screws that are in the stud. Studs are anywhere from 12 to 16 inches apart. Once you find one, you measure, and see where the second one is. You want to screw into the middle of the stud.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    My dad's visiting nurse said those chairs are very heavy. She said to get an engineer to assure that our living room floor (over a basement) could hold it.

ANN
    My lift chair is not much heavier than any other standard "overstuffed" chair...
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Dancer View Post
    My bath chair, which I use in my shower, has adjustable legs, lower and higher. It costs more, but worth it. It also has a back, which is good if you're not steady sitting down. You could get one of those and not use the built in seat.

The suction cup grab bars are NOT safe unless you have an absolutely clean flat wall, and an absolutely tight seal. Almost impossible.

You can indeed install a grab bar into the stiff vinyl. You just need to find a gasket at any hardware or building supply store (take the dimensions of the grab bar with you), and screw through the gasket to the wall studs. Or there is sealant that you can apply around the outside edge of the bar and wall - the sealant is clear, so it won't mar the color of the wall. You DO need to locate the studs behind that vinyl wall. There is a tool called a "stud finder" that can help you do that. It signals the metal in the screws that are in the stud. Studs are anywhere from 12 to 16 inches apart. Once you find one, you measure, and see where the second one is. You want to screw into the middle of the stud.
    Thank you. Do you have a link to that shower chair? A chair would mean I don't need a grab bar. Sounds like suction a bad idea for grab bar.

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

There are all kinds of adjustable bath chairs. I'm not good at that link thing, but I just typed adjustable bath chairs into Google, and came up with a bunch of sites, including WalMart (inexpensive).

Amazon has them, too. Again, I just searched for adjustable bath chair and several came up. I'm sure you'll find one that will suit your purposes.
    Last edited by Cat Dancer; 10-16-2017 at 02:09 PM.

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    Would it be like one of these? I didn't know what they were called but I know someone who's been thinking of getting one of these. In the photos they look as if they could pitch you forward onto the floor but I guess not?

That one could pitch you onto the floor! Looks slippery, all that leather! Mine is fabric. Mine comes up slowly to get to whatever height you're comfortable with. They're not intended for someone who cannot easily transfer, though. They're meant for someone who needs an assist to stand, either to then walk independently or with a walker or crutches. I can't use mine anymore as I can't transfer into it...or out of it.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast