Thread: Embr Wave...sorry if someone already posted about this heating/cooling device...

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default Embr Wave...sorry if someone already posted about this heating/cooling device...

What is Embr Wave?

Designed by MIT-trained scientists, the Embr Wave is a wearable that's literally like no other. Rather than taking calls, delivering electric shocks, counting steps or just telling the time, Embr Wave promises to act as a body thermostat: warming you up, or cooling you down with a single press.

Of course, it's not a boiler/air conditioner unit: that would be both expensive to operate, and would eat through batteries like no portable hardware since the Game Gear. Rather, this tricks your brain with direct conductive heating or cooling on the skin. You know when you have a hot drink in the cold and you feel warmer? It's a bit like that.

It's “We were frustrated by always being too cold in a laboratory with too much air conditioning,”, Embr Wave's David Cohen-Tanugi tells me via email. “After winning the MADMEC competition at MIT, we received hundreds of emails from people who are perpetually bothered by temperature when everybody else is comfortable. Since then, our project has been backed by Bose Ventures and Intel Capital.”

“When you activate a warming or cooling session, Embr Wave changes temperature on your wrist, delivering waves of thermal relief for 3-5 minutes, which is usually long enough for you to stop thinking about the temperature,” he continues. “Embr Wave is powered by a rechargeable battery, and lasts 25 sessions or more on a single charge.

“Our main challenge was to develop a product that would provide powerful enough sensations of warmth and cold in an attractive wearable form factor. In order to do this, we had combine disciplines as diverse as biomedical engineering, product design, mechanical engineering, psychology, and neuroscience.”

“Attractive,” is of course a subjective viewpoint – but when I ask if the bulkiness of it could be reduced in future iterations, I'm met with disagreement that it needs it. “We're proud of how much we've been able to shrink down the technology, and we think customers will like it too.” Fair enough.

Why should I care?

Maybe you don't right now, but next time you feel a bit too chilly because the office air conditioning is on too high (my Alphr colleagues definitely know what I'm talking about), then you'll definitely long for something like this on your wrist.

And even if you don't, you have to say that this is the kind of madcap, outside the box thinking that Kickstarter was made for. Bravo Embr Wave.

How much and when would I get it?

Of course, admiring the inventiveness of something and stumping up cash to be the first in line to have one delivered are two very different things, and the price may be a bar to some interested parties. Right now, you can get an Embr Wave for $219 (~£167) – that's 27% off the final retail price ($299 or around £228).
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

That's intriguing!

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Any MS users that you know of, Linda?
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

My temp changes all the time and I freeze a lot, then I burn up. So very interesting.
    Virginia

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any MS users that you know of, Linda?
    ANN
    DAve Bexfeld? Of Active MSers turned my focus to it. Not sure if he tried it...
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Hmmm . . . I'm cold most of the time now, but often awaken hot, like desperately, heart pounding HOT in the middle of the night. Can no longer sweat, shiver or even get goose bumps, all of which the normal body does to regulate temperature. When I'm cold, I'm stiff and uncomfortable, hot, I'm weak and limp. I'm looking for that happy medium. Not sure a temporary trick of the brain would work or be healthy for me.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was wondering what this looks like:

Last edited by agate; 10-15-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

It looks like a big Apple watch to me.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"