Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021

Thread: What Is Next For Jonathan?

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((Marcie)))))) ~

Thank you so much for your prayers.

Jon fell asleep easily last night at 12:15 a.m. He had a peaceful night's sleep and woke up at 10. He also took a little nap this afternoon.

SATS are 94-96, which is excellent, and heart rate is in the 90s now. His bowels are moving, and his urine output is improving.

He is all smiles today, which is a very good sign.

I asked Jon whether I could borrow one of his balloons for Michael, as today is his birthday. Of course, he said, "Yes!" I've lit candles in Michael's room. This is Michael's 48th birthday. How we miss him!

We hope that this trend continues for Jon, and we are so grateful that he is on the other side of his crisis now.

You, Nick, Brian, Jon and your entire family are always in our prayers ~ strength, peace and comfort ~

We love you ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    So Michael and Jon have birthdays a few days apart?

Happy Birthday sweet angel Michael!!! Thanks for watching over your family!

So glad Jon feels better.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Donna ~

We are about 60 miles from the Woolsey (largest fire), so we are not in danger. The skies are smokey, and I can see the smoke on the horizon on my walk. I can't smell fire any longer, so I guess I'm getting used to it.

Yes, the fire is terrifying. We have been glued to news coverage since the beginning. Loss of life is now at 42 people, and loss of homes is increasing. Santa Ana winds are expected to return by Thursday, so we still have a long way to go before containment.

John visited today to turn Jon. Jon was in great pain with his right knee and swollen legs.

His bed was wet from catheter leakage, and the remains of vomit that I couldn't clean up until today. So I had to scrub the mattress. Bathe his back, and dress his many wounds. It takes time to do all of this, and I feel terrible that he has to be over for so long.

Jim stands at Jon's legs on the other side with John, who has Jon's torso. Jim peers over Jon to look at the wounds and consult with me on treatment. Today, blood began seeping out of a tear in a very delicate location. We had to do a quick alteration in wound coverage.

This is one of the most tiring aspects of meeting all of Jon's needs. Responding to unexpected situations, or changes in wounds, seizures, feeding. It's an "Okay, what do we do now?" moment. We have an abundance of those moments.

We were concerned that Jon's belly would blow up, after all of this activity, but so far, he's fine. His SATS are 97, which is outstanding, and his heart rate is in the 90s, which is good after all of the pain he's experienced.

Jon slept for 14 1/2 hours today! Unbelievable. We almost canceled John's visit, and then Jon woke up, so we went for it. I don't know what he'll do tonight as far as bedtime. But tomorrow his Toenail Team will be here, so I need to get to bed at a reasonable time (at least by 3 a.m.). I've been cleaning for 2 days. Nursing and Toenail Team visits are inspirations to deep clean for me. It's a good motivator to clean.

I told Jim that I'm giving myself a Roomba for Christmas. And then I'll order some bon bons from Instacart, so I can sit back and eat bon bons, while the Roomba vacuums for me. That's a joke, of course, as many times I've had to defend my work as Jon's caregiver. You know, sitting on my fanny all day, popping bon bons and watching TV, while raking in the dough from the government.

Did you get snow? Could you send some to California, please?

Thank you for your never-ending love and prayers ~ our prayers are always with you, Jim, Nick,Natalie, and your beautiful family ~

We love you!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 11-13-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hi Rose! I'm so glad that you are away from the fires (but 60 miles is still too close for comfort)! And I'm glad that Jon got turned, but alarmed by his wounds. Poor Jon and poor you and Jim - of course it's exhausting and it's so distressing to for Jon to be in pain. I am so sorry. Perhaps his HR and sats showed that the turning and dressing eased his pain which would be a good thing. I hope so.

Yes, we have snow! Today Jim and I took Daisy for a forest walk. It was beautiful - here we are in the woods :) PB131190.jpg I send much love from the north woods xoxo
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

funnylegs4 ~

I'm sorry I missed your post. Yes, Jonathan and Michael were born one year and 4 days apart. We've always celebrated their birthdays individually and together, so that their celebrations weren't just lumped together as one day. I baked cakes for both of their schools so they could have a birthday with their friends. I baked cake for each of them for their family birthdays. We ate a lot of cake in November!

Donna ~

Daisy is growing up so fast! Look at her size! Wow! Aww...she's adorable. Wow! You do have snow! Is it early?

Jon had another rough night. He filled with air and water, and his belly became rock solid. At 12:30 this morning, he vomited. I was right there with the basin, so there was no mess, and he was fully upright.

I vented via his G Tube, and I discovered that his colostomy stoma was blocked preventing gas from escaping. So, I dug that out, and eventually, his bag filled up with air.

I waited until 1:30 to give his meds. He fell asleep at 1:45 and woke up at 11:30, in time for his Toenail Team visit. He's very drowsy and takes naps periodically during the day, probably from increased meds.

We reduced his formula feed rate to 1/3 of his usual amount. He's getting less nutrition and fluid, but we have to do something to stem the tide.

I definitely believe that this happened last night as a result of The Turning. After we turned him last week, the same thing happened. It's not a coincidence. But he must be turned, so we have to figure out how to mitigate this as a consequence.

Jim is still contending with a lot of pain in his groin and legs, and I'm concerned about him climbing in/out of the van, and walking across the street to the hospital for his infusion tomorrow. He says he will be fine, but I'm worried. He has a late appointment at 3 p.m.

Jim has been in bed most of the day, trying to catch up on his sleep since he relieved me at 3 this morning. He stayed up to monitor Jon.

The gal, who trims Jon's toenails, is such an expert. Once she finished, very little of his nail was left, and the gunk was gone. No more oozing. I'm sure that is a relief for Jon.

She is in her 40s, blonde, pretty and sweet, and Jon has had a crush on her for years. But then she started bringing her 20 year old daughter (also beautiful), who left to become a nurse, followed by very attractive young assistants in their 20s. He can't take his eyes off of the new assistant. But they both got plenty of flirty smiles from him.

After giving her the rundown on how Jim and Jon have been since her last visit, she asked me, "And how are YOU?!"

"Shorter."

I'll be a Hobbit soon.

So, we'll see how tonight goes. I wish Jon's room was larger, as I could certainly use a bigger couch than this chair bed. Hard to get comfortable. But it's just as well, because if I got too comfortable, I'd fall asleep. At the rate I'm shrinking, it will be a couch one of these days.

Jim just took out the trash and brought in the mail. So much for resting his legs. Oh, he said it wasn't much, and he took it easy. Well, a groin pull needs complete rest, especially at his age. But what do I know? Sigh.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, support, and enduring friendship ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Default Long Night's Journey Into Day

Jon had a restless night and didnít fall asleep until 4:45 a.m. Thatís when Jim got up, and I went to bed.

I was knackered (as Jim would say) from jumping up every few minutes with a basin in my hand to capture vomit. When Jon is restless like this, he takes in a lot of air, so his belly started to blow up and get firm. Fortunately, he didnít toss his cookies.

I woke up at 7:30, and I knew that I couldnít function on two hours of sleep. I am grateful that I was able to go back to sleep until 9:30. I didnít have the energy to take my walk.

Today, I had planned to shop with Instacart, as Jim is out of berries, bananas, cereal, and coconut milk (his favorite breakfast now). The list always begins with just a few items and ends up with me buying half the store! Itís amazing how the two of us can consume so much food! I shop at 4 different stores to get all of the things we want, because every store carries something different. Or one store runs out of a product, so when I find it at another store, I stock up. Today, the store didnít have my decaf. Ugh! So, now thatís on my list for the next store.

The shopper was very nice (they all are), and as we chatted, she revealed that she is a Respiratory Therapist at our hospital. She couldnít manage the 12 hour shifts, so she went to part time/substitute and supplements her income with Instacart. I then told her that my boys have been there many times, and Iíll bet sheís treated them. She said she probably had. And then I said, ďYou might end up treating my husband someday. Heís at the hospital right now getting Opdivo. He has lung cancer.Ē

With tears in her eyes, she asked me, ďCan I give you a hug? I really need to hug you!Ē

So, of course, we hugged.

ďYou must be exhausted,Ē she sighed.

ďI got to bed at 5 this morning. So, yeah. But not as tired as I was last year, when I was taking care of my son and husband AND shopping at 5 different stores in person. That nearly did me in. So, I am grateful for Instacart and wonderful people like you.Ē

As she left, I thanked her for her service to our community as an RT. I know how very important their expertise and talents are. Iíve been in many hospitals with my boys, and bar none, our hospital is the best and has the best RT department. They are incredible. And because of their training of us, Jim and I are able to care for Jon at home.

Life is interesting. We never know who might step into our world in the next moment.

Please pray with us for all of the people in California, who lost their lives, and who lost their homes to these raging fires. And the people of Thousand Oaks, who had to wait for the fire to be contained to bury their loved ones, who were murdered at the Borderline Bar, two days prior to the fire outbreak.

Californians are hurting, mourning, and fearing our future. It could happen to any of us, anywhere in the state. We are all keenly aware of that reality. Fires are still burning statewide, our firefighters are stretched thin, the humidity is less than 10%, and the winds are expected to return. Please pray for California. Thank you so much.

Our prayers are with all of you every day, and we thank you for your love, support, prayers, and enduring friendship.

Love & Light,

Rose

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Unhappy So Much Pain

Please let me know, when you get tired of my updates!

Today, we turned Jon, and he was in so much pain, it is breaking my heart.

After 12 hours of sleep, Jon woke up in a great mood, tons of smiles, and lots of "I Love You"s. As I sat on his chair bed, folding his laundry this afternoon, Jon said, "Mommy? I love you." three times! Such a blessing he is!

When John walked into his room, Jon's smile glowed with delight. They have their time together, chatting, hugging, talking about movies and sports. Sometimes about ladies! (Toenail Team)

Then, as John lowered the head of Jon's bed, and we gathered around him preparing for The Turning, he became agitated. He knew what was coming, and he wanted no part of it. His upper body strength is phenomenal, given his condition, and he reached out his right arm as I stood next to him and pushed me away with force.

No amount of reassurance, cajoling, comforting, and pleading helps him to relax. He becomes rigid.

Nonetheless, we prevailed, turning him as gently as possible, with John and Jim holding him while I rushed through his wound care and bathing. It was frantic.

When we turned him to his right side, I was unable to dress his coccyx and thigh wounds, because his pain was too severe. No cream on his back either. So, we only did half of his care. I could barely get the sheet and underpad out, before he had to be laid flat.

Then, he resisted John and me pulling him up. Fortunately, he didn't have far to go.

The finishing touch is putting a doubled underpad and a pillow case under his testicles to catch the leakage from his catheter. We change this twice a day. Jim took over to instruct John on how he's been lifting Jon's leg, when we do it ourselves. Jon has much less pain. John did it perfectly, of course. He always asks us what to do and is eager to learn better ways of helping Jon and us.

This has been going on for too long, so I'm going to request a visit from Jon's PT to help us conquer this problem. It's so complicated, because when we use the compression tubes, the fluid goes straight to his torso, then he's filled with fluid and air around his lungs and heart. We just went through that, without the use of the tubes. There has to be another answer. His legs are just enormous.

In hope of preventing a repeat of Monday night's fluid and air buildup, we took Jon off of his formula for an hour before turning. His bowels are moving really well, so that may mitigate the air accumulation. Praying for this.

Last night was like a vacation for us. Jim slept for 5 hours, woke up at 2 a.m. to relieve me, and Jon fell asleep at 11:30 p.m. His SATS and HR were great, and he was sleeping calmly and peacefully.

I pulled something in my upper back (twice) during The Turning. Jim said that he heard it pop. Very painful. We're trying the new CBD cream I bought, Lord Jones. It's $60, but a small amount goes a long way. He applied it to my entire back, and within 10 minutes, I felt relief. We've been using it for various aches and pains, and it's been working. We're pleased.

And, bless his heart, Jim made a giant mixed salad and a frozen veggie Italian sausage pizza for dinner. He also cleaned up everything after dinner. He said I'd done enough for today. Since I started shrinking, he now calls me, "My little love."

We wrapped Jon's knee in witch hazel soaked paper towels, held in place with elastic bandage. I'm hesitant to use the CBD on him, because I've read that it can affect his seizure meds. I don't know whether that applies to topical treatment, but with his recent seizures, I don't want to tempt fate.

Thank you all for your love, prayers and support ~ we return it to you ten-fold.

Love & Light,

Rose

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I am struck by how much every one works to get the turning done. I feel so bad for Jon. I understand that the turning is necessary. Under some protocols it would be done every two hours! I wish he could explain exactly what hurts and what he fears.

I am again, and always, in awe of you.

I can’t think of one helpful thing.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Rose, I'm glad to hear you are not in danger in regards to the fires. I'm also aware how something of this magnitude affects the whole state. (and beyond). I feel awful for the families affected. It must be so hard to have family members missing. We had a pretty significant snow storm last night/this morning. I'm grateful though that our weather in upstate NY never seems as sever as many states. (knocking wood).
    I'm so sorry Jon is in pain during turning. It's a necessary process but I'm sure it doesn't make that any easier to handle. I hope you can get the PT visit in a timely manner. What a wonderful dinner! sounds scrumptious !!! (Kathleen uses that word a lot! she learned in from sesame street LOL). I hope your back is healing ok! I pulled something a while back while helping Kathleen on to an examination table. Gosh it effects everything you do. My daughter teaches yoga and gave me some stretches to do and it really helped. I'm pretty sure I've lost about an inch in the past handful of years. But I still say I'm 5ft 2 anyway LOL.
    I'm pretty sure I speak for anyone here that your updates are always welcome! It's inspiring to read and honestly makes my daily life feel like a piece of cake LOL. I don't always get to respond but try to keep up reading posts here. Keeping your family in my prayers as well as anyone in the path of the California fires.
    Mary Grace

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Default Grab a Beverage and Snack ~ This Is Long!

Thank you so much ANN and Mary Grace ~

TURNING

Yes, the hospital protocol is to turn the patient every two hours. Even then, we could only turn him slightly, because he canít lie on either one of his hips for too long. Right hip: rod and pins. Left Hip: dust.

Before Jimís illness and Johnís participation, we turned Jon at least every other day to change his under pad and bottom sheet. That was before Jon got lymphedema. Then, we went through all of the positioning with pillows etc. as our PT taught us. We have tried everything heís suggested, but we often end up with a worse outcome. The pillows caused pain in various places for Jon. The compression tubes squeeze the fluid up to his torso. Itís immensely frustrating.

With the Thanksgiving holiday, itís likely we wonít get the authorization for the PT until the week after. Iím thinking of texting him to ask for advice. Heís offered to come over without authorization as a ďfriend,Ē but I hesitate to take advantage of that, because Medi-Cal would not be pleased.

BRANDED DILANTIN

Today, I called our pharmacy about Jonís Dilantin, and the request for the branded Dilantin has been authorized by Medi-Cal with no co-pay. Iím shocked! But we canít get it until 11/25. I was told to call the supervisor next Weds. to make sure that they can get the branded Dilantin. But as far as todayís pharmacist (they have lots of ďsubsĒ), she says itís a go.

JONíS NIGHT & DAY

It was a long and drowsy night for Jon, and he finally fell asleep officially at 4 a.m. on Jimís watch. He woke up at 8 a.m. We gave him a couple of hours to try to return to sleep, but he requested a movie. So, heís been in and out of sleep all day.

We are monitoring his formula intake, belly status, urine and BM output carefully. Weíve adjusted his feed rate three times today.

Thankfully, Jon is well up in the bed, so we donít think we have to pull him up tonight. My back is still hurting, and Iím afraid if I attempt to pull him up, it will get worse. And Jim canít (and I wonít let him) do it on his own. I hate being limited!!! I need to be able to do everything! Grrr Ö

I havenít done much today, compared to the majority of my days, at least. I did take my walk this morning. The house is clean. There isnít any urgent laundry. I swept the porch yesterday, before I hurt my back. So, I am taking it easy to help my back heal.

I did boil red potatoes for potato salad (Jimís fave) tonight to go along with our Tofurky Beer Brats (yes, they have beer in them!), and Jim wants peas. We may make a salad, as long as Jim helps, because Iím not fond of standing too long right now. I may have another long night ahead with Jon, and I need to store my energy for that possibility.

CALIFORNIA

Speaking of sweeping, I noted that what I swept was black soot, as did Jim when he swept the side yard today after bringing in the trash bins. This morning, before my walk, I hosed off our front patio, which is a no-no during a drought, but we are ultra-conserving in our home otherwise. It was black.

It makes sense, since the smoke clouds have been blown in our direction for days, and the air quality all over California is dreadful.

One of our very dear friends emailed us that her cousin, as well as one of her close friends, who had retired in Paradise, lost their homes. Her cousin is elderly, and her friend is an artist. He lost all of his artwork in the fire. Iím just grateful that they survived, since the total of deaths from both Paradise and the Woolsey fire total 63 now. And 631 people are missing.

My previous husband, who had been a journalist, always wanted to visit places, where natural destruction had occurred, when we traveled. We visited a town in Indiana, which had been decimated by a tornado. The entire small town was gone. We saw the damage along the Gulf Coast after a major hurricane. And on and on Ö But I have never seen anything like the pictures and video of these fires, and the remnants of peopleís homes and habitat blackened and smoldering.

Iíve traveled all over California in my lifetime. It is an absolutely stunning state with incredible variety. You can spend a day in the snow in the mountains and have a cook out on the beach that evening. Every view is spectacular and breathtaking. Nothing compares to the sky at night in the desert.

So, it is truly heartbreaking to watch it aflame and then to see the aftermath. And profoundly sad to imagine the suffering of those, who perished.

Rain is predicted for Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Saturday. And while that is a blessing in quelling the fires, it also poses a risk of mudslides and flooding in burned areas. One disaster begets another sometimes. We know that in California. Earthquakes donít just happen and disappear. There are aftershocks for months. Fires donít just get put out and not reappear. They spread.

Still, Iíve lived in two other states and have traveled extensively throughout the U.S., and I would never want to live anywhere but here. And weíre living on a fault line, which shook our home to the core a few years ago. This is our home and our history.

Thank you all for your prayers, support, love, and healing energy for us and for Californians. We give thanks for you!

Love & Light,

Rose

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Rose thanks for the update. I did grab my coffee, this is my alone quiet time early in the AM I get to actually sit and enjoy my coffee. It's a bit cold though so I use my heated neck wrap and feel oh so cozy. I can't believe next Thursday is already Thanksgiving! I hope your family is able to relax just a bit and enjoy the day and a lovely meal. Do you watch the Parade? This year my son and his girl friend are doing dinner. (I plan on reclaiming it next year because I love making thanksgiving dinner). But they have a lovely new apartment and wanted to give it a try. I will make a second turkey to be sure we have enough (and leftovers) and my speciality Apple Pie!
    I hope things come together that you are waiting on.
    The fires are so unreal to me. I see the pictures and just can't believe the devastation. Ever since my neighbors winter home in Florida was hit by a hurricane last year I try to not forget about the aftermath of these disaster. I texted with them when they returned to their home and even though we here in NY went on about our business and forgot about it they dealt with so much devastation daily for so long. She sent me pictures frequently and I couldn't believe how long it took to get even a little bit of relief. Praying for an end to the fires and peace for all involved. Keeping your family in my daily prayers as well.
    Mary Grace

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021