Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Next For Jonathan?

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

DINNER

Christmas dinner was delicious and worth the effort! We were surprised by the Field Roast gravy packet of powder. It turned into a yummy ****ake mushroom gravy. I think I’ll write to Field Roast to suggest that they start selling this gravy powder separately.

The Celebration Roast instructions are so basic: Baste roast with oil, put some oil in bottom of the pan with 2 T water. My baste is oil, veggie broth, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (Scarborough Fair!), and I surround the roast with chopped sweet onion and celery. Then I add more broth to the veggies. The onions are soft, while the celery remains a tad crunchy. Next time, I will add chopped walnuts.

We have plenty of leftovers for tonight and probably tomorrow. That’s wonderful, because I’m totally wiped out today.

THE WEE HOURS OF WEDNESDAY

Jon fell asleep at 8 p.m. Very unusual for him, but he was tired all day. He slept soundly with very good SATS in the 90s and heart rate in the low 90s. Until 3 a.m. That was 7 hours sleep, and he was satisfied.

Jim just happened to get up at 3 also to go to the bathroom. He was aching from head to toe. He was out of breath and had to use his “puffer.” He took 10 mg Prednisone and climbed back into bed.

I was approaching zombie status, and I was also aching all over. But, I was so delighted that Jon was still holding his own, as we had anticipated a repeat of the last several weeks of SATS tanking and water spewing from his trache.

So I climbed onto his uncomfortable chair bed with all of my pillows, while we listened to music on his stereo in the dark. I was hoping Jon would go back to sleep. He didn’t.

At 6 a.m., Jim got up, feeling better and told me to go to bed. Evidently, not long after that, Jon went to sleep and woke up at 9:30.

SCAN PREPARATION

I woke up at 10, as Jim came upstairs to shower and start getting ready for his scans. Jim asked me if I was going to take my walk. I chuckled, “Well, let’s find out first whether I can walk at all.” I could, but I was stiff and aching. I had to give it a pass.

I had washed Jim’s new long sleeved shirts and intended to iron one for him, when he pulled out one of his short sleeve shirts already pressed. “You don’t need to be ironing today,” he said.

However, I did do 3 loads of laundry, because Jim and I are running out of underwear and outerwear pants. T-shirts we have in the hundreds (if we include all of Jon’s t-shirts, which he can’t wear).

I only focused on Jon’s laundry over the past couple of weeks. So, our laundry was massive and heavy to lift when in the laundry bag or the basket to carry them in to fold. But, as I always tell Jim, “The laundry isn’t going to wash, dry, fold and put away itself.”

My laundry backlog is atrocious. I was looking for my Christmas sweatshirts to wear this year. Both are in the laundry. One of them was in the laundry in 2017, so I wore the other one. Yeah. That’s a backlog.

THE SCANS

Jim arrived on time, and a nurse was ready to fill his port with dye. Usually, the tech offers to do an IV, and Jim has to tell them that he has a "$9,000 port” so that he doesn’t have to get stuck, after which he bruises like he’s been beaten to a pulp. He has to insist on an RN to utilize his port.

The center wasn’t busy, so Jim was taken in quickly, and the scans went well. Jim’s radiology “buddy,” Mark, was working today, which was helpful. Jim and Mark seem to have a lot in common with musical tastes and life experiences. Mark said that Dr. K will have the results on Friday, and Jim remarked, “That’s handy, because that’s when I go to see him to get the results.”

Jim called me before he left to let me know he was allowing his brain to unscramble after the scan. I can’t even imagine what he’s going through, but I try.

Once Jim settled down after he came home, he sighed, “Well, it’s over. At least that part is. Now, we wait 2 days.”

He napped for a couple of hours, which he needs to do.

Jon was nearly asleep a few hours ago, but now he’s awake and watching movies. Oh, he chose “Baywatch!” He practically has The Rock’s entire movie collection now. He got “Rampage” for his birthday. And he has “The Tooth Fairy,” and “Race to Witch Mountain,” and “The Game Plan” (in which The Rock performs ballet!). I enjoy The Rock’s wit and charm in these movies.

funnylegs4 ~

The Rock is churning out movies at a rapid pace, and he has a TV show now. He never seems to stop working. He’s obviously extremely popular, and he’s making a ton of money for the movie makers, not to mention his own bank account. These films are tailor-made for Dwayne.

So, regardless of whether a disabled actor could perform the stunts, these films are meant to be blockbusters, capitalizing on Dwayne’s popularity. That’s show biz!

Thank you so much for your prayers.

Donna ~

Okay, -7 is balmy in Quebec … here we turn on the heater, when it gets below 60 degrees F.

But native Californians, like John, are wearing shorts and sandals in this weather. For us, of course, it also pertains to our age and our medical conditions. Jim is always cold, and our heater runs quite a bit, while he also dresses warmly.

I admire everyone, who can ice skate! I could never master that balancing act. I used to think that I had weak ankles, yet, I was very adept at modern dance and wearing high heels.

I can only imagine the beauty of skating through your forest! I hope you have photos!

Thank you so much for your positive vibes and prayers.

Happy Boxing Day To All!

May the love and spirit of Christmas remain with us beyond the New Year!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Rose, Yes that is showbiz and I wish these radical so called "disability activists" would get a grip and realize that. "Tofurky" brand sells gravy separately so Field should too. Glad that the scans went well and I'm sending a TON of prayers for good results in 2 days!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

DINNER

Christmas dinner was delicious and worth the effort! We were surprised by the Field Roast gravy packet of powder. It turned into a yummy ****ake mushroom gravy. I think I’ll write to Field Roast to suggest that they start selling this gravy powder separately.

The Celebration Roast instructions are so basic: Baste roast with oil, put some oil in bottom of the pan with 2 T water. My baste is oil, veggie broth, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (Scarborough Fair!), and I surround the roast with chopped sweet onion and celery. Then I add more broth to the veggies. The onions are soft, while the celery remains a tad crunchy. Next time, I will add chopped walnuts.

We have plenty of leftovers for tonight and probably tomorrow. That’s wonderful, because I’m totally wiped out today.

THE WEE HOURS OF WEDNESDAY

Jon fell asleep at 8 p.m. Very unusual for him, but he was tired all day. He slept soundly with very good SATS in the 90s and heart rate in the low 90s. Until 3 a.m. That was 7 hours sleep, and he was satisfied.

Jim just happened to get up at 3 also to go to the bathroom. He was aching from head to toe. He was out of breath and had to use his “puffer.” He took 10 mg Prednisone and climbed back into bed.

I was approaching zombie status, and I was also aching all over. But, I was so delighted that Jon was still holding his own, as we had anticipated a repeat of the last several weeks of SATS tanking and water spewing from his trache.

So I climbed onto his uncomfortable chair bed with all of my pillows, while we listened to music on his stereo in the dark. I was hoping Jon would go back to sleep. He didn’t.

At 6 a.m., Jim got up, feeling better and told me to go to bed. Evidently, not long after that, Jon went to sleep and woke up at 9:30.

SCAN PREPARATION

I woke up at 10, as Jim came upstairs to shower and start getting ready for his scans. Jim asked me if I was going to take my walk. I chuckled, “Well, let’s find out first whether I can walk at all.” I could, but I was stiff and aching. I had to give it a pass.

I had washed Jim’s new long sleeved shirts and intended to iron one for him, when he pulled out one of his short sleeve shirts already pressed. “You don’t need to be ironing today,” he said.

However, I did do 3 loads of laundry, because Jim and I are running out of underwear and outerwear pants. T-shirts we have in the hundreds (if we include all of Jon’s t-shirts, which he can’t wear).

I only focused on Jon’s laundry over the past couple of weeks. So, our laundry was massive and heavy to lift when in the laundry bag or the basket to carry them in to fold. But, as I always tell Jim, “The laundry isn’t going to wash, dry, fold and put away itself.”

My laundry backlog is atrocious. I was looking for my Christmas sweatshirts to wear this year. Both are in the laundry. One of them was in the laundry in 2017, so I wore the other one. Yeah. That’s a backlog.

THE SCANS

Jim arrived on time, and a nurse was ready to fill his port with dye. Usually, the tech offers to do an IV, and Jim has to tell them that he has a "$9,000 port” so that he doesn’t have to get stuck, after which he bruises like he’s been beaten to a pulp. He has to insist on an RN to utilize his port.

The center wasn’t busy, so Jim was taken in quickly, and the scans went well. Jim’s radiology “buddy,” Mark, was working today, which was helpful. Jim and Mark seem to have a lot in common with musical tastes and life experiences. Mark said that Dr. K will have the results on Friday, and Jim remarked, “That’s handy, because that’s when I go to see him to get the results.”

Jim called me before he left to let me know he was allowing his brain to unscramble after the scan. I can’t even imagine what he’s going through, but I try.

Once Jim settled down after he came home, he sighed, “Well, it’s over. At least that part is. Now, we wait 2 days.”

He napped for a couple of hours, which he needs to do.

Jon was nearly asleep a few hours ago, but now he’s awake and watching movies. Oh, he chose “Baywatch!” He practically has The Rock’s entire movie collection now. He got “Rampage” for his birthday. And he has “The Tooth Fairy,” and “Race to Witch Mountain,” and “The Game Plan” (in which The Rock performs ballet!). I enjoy The Rock’s wit and charm in these movies.

funnylegs4 ~

The Rock is churning out movies at a rapid pace, and he has a TV show now. He never seems to stop working. He’s obviously extremely popular, and he’s making a ton of money for the movie makers, not to mention his own bank account. These films are tailor-made for Dwayne.

So, regardless of whether a disabled actor could perform the stunts, these films are meant to be blockbusters, capitalizing on Dwayne’s popularity. That’s show biz!

Thank you so much for your prayers.

Donna ~

Okay, -7 is balmy in Quebec … here we turn on the heater, when it gets below 60 degrees F.

But native Californians, like John, are wearing shorts and sandals in this weather. For us, of course, it also pertains to our age and our medical conditions. Jim is always cold, and our heater runs quite a bit, while he also dresses warmly.

I admire everyone, who can ice skate! I could never master that balancing act. I used to think that I had weak ankles, yet, I was very adept at modern dance and wearing high heels.

I can only imagine the beauty of skating through your forest! I hope you have photos!

Thank you so much for your positive vibes and prayers.

Happy Boxing Day To All!

May the love and spirit of Christmas remain with us beyond the New Year!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Rose, Yes that is showbiz and I wish these radical so called "disability activists" would get a grip and realize that. "Tofurky" brand sells gravy separately so Field Roast should too. Try "Better Than Bullion" for the broth/seasoning next time. Glad that the scans went well and I'm sending a TON of prayers for good results in 2 days! So sorry for weird double post.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 12-26-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

IMG_2864.jpg
    Hi Rose,
    I'm so glad that your dinner turned out - it sounds delicious! We had a fantastic time skating in the forest - except for the one little detail that my brother in law Frank fell and broke his wrist. We thought it was just sprained but it got more swollen as the day went on so we brought him for x-rays and sure enough... oh well, he's a trooper and very good natured about the whole thing. IMG_2864.jpgI had a lazy day today with jigsaw puzzles, snakes and ladders with Natalie, cribbage and turkey leftovers. We are relaxing by the fire - it's IMG_2864.jpgvery cold outside today - -15! Have you tried turning Jon yet? I hope that goes well and of course praying about the scan results. Lots of love! Donna xox
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

PS: I can't figure out the photo attaching widget, obvs! LOL - I have no idea why the photo appears 3x when it took so long to load! LOL
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

funnylegs4 ~

Our stores stopped selling Tofurky gravy a few years ago. Itís even difficult to find a Tofurky. And the Tofurky ham we had for Thanksgiving was nowhere in sight for Christmas. It makes no sense. This is California, land of vegans and vegetarians.

Thank you for the suggestion of Better than Bullion. I use organic veggie broth and have a very full spice rack. It always turns out quite flavorful.

And thank you for your prayers! Weíre holding on to the edge of our seats!

Donna ~

Oh dear! Iím so sorry Frank broke his wrist! I will send healing prayers his way.

That would be my greatest fear ~ a broken bone, as in hip, knee etc.

Great photo! I can see youíre all having fun, but it does look scary to me! And Ö COLD! Yikes! You Canadians are a tough lot!

I love imagining your day by the fire with Natalie. It sounds divine. Iím so happy for both of you that you have this lovely time to relax together. How long are they staying?

Thank you for your prayers!

PREPARATIONS

After my walk this morning, I ordered from Instacart. Jim is out of strawberries, blueberries and bananas, all important ingredients in his morning cereal feast. Of course, there were dozens of other items. The list always increases as I go along.

I texted Jonís nurse, and she has scheduled her visit for tomorrow before noon.

So, I swiffered the floors and vacuumed the rugs, because we hadnít set up the Roomba yet. Cleaned the kitchen, bathed and shaved Jon, got out all of his stuff for The Turning, took a shower, communicated with the Instacart shopper, met him at the door, brought the groceries to the kitchen and unloaded/put away.

The Roomba

John arrived about 3 p.m. and immediately began to teach me how to use the Roomba. After The Turning, when the Roomba was partially energized, John set her off to clean. We watched her scooting around the living room. Amazing! She can get in the tight corners around Jimís futon, which always is precarious for me. She can get under his futon. She cleans baseboards!

So quiet compared to the Dyson stick Iíve used for years. I was trying not to cry, because this is the best thing imaginable to help me clean the house. I kept following her around, saying ďI love you, Roomba!Ē What a wonderful gift!

JONíS DAY AND THE TURNING

Jon slept from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Jim sent me to bed at 2:30, and at 3:00, Jon was back to sleep until 8:30.

SATS began to drop to mid-80s around noon. Removing his trache plug produced a cough with a small mucous output. SATS rose to the low-mid 90s. Jim suctioned once, before The Turning, just to make sure all was clear.

Both of us are noting Jonís weight loss. We have no idea how much heís lost, nor whether some of it is water weight. Our thought is that Jon is overmedicated, because we are dosing for his previous weight. We are adjusting his doses now to see how well he fares.

We have a lot to discuss with Jonís nurse tomorrow. When Jim goes in for his appointment tomorrow, he will ask his port nurse to look up our nutritionist on the computer to see whether sheís still at the hospital. If so, heíll get her number, and I will call her after the New Year.

Jon did well with The Turning, and his wounds look better. Less drainage. I slathered him with Butt Paste, and his rear end looks like a patchwork of Optifoam pads.

Throughout the day/evening, weíve been taking off his trache plug, so he can cough to keep his SATS elevated. His heart rate is stable, albeit higher than weíd like it to be. Again, itís very possible that this is overmedication.

Itís unfortunate that Jimís appointment with Dr. K and Jonís nurseís visit will coincide. Hopefully, he will be home prior to her visit, so we can process together. On the other hand, she is our family, and she will have wisdom to share with us, so itís probably serendipitous that they coincide.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, and continuing support on our journey. We pray for all of you and your loved ones every day.

We Love You!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Rose, So glad things have gone smoothly, busy but smoothly... Your Christmas dinner sounds wonderful and leftovers is the best part sometimes. I made a big lasagna to bring to my sisters and we've been eating it for days. Glad you could get back to your walk yesterday.
    I'm so thankful John got you the Roomba but I think you should give her a name. Sounds like she deserves a real name LOL.
    Praying for some good news from the Dr. today.
    I'll be putting an update for us on a different thread we had a wonderful Christmas.
    Mary Grace

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Rose I really appreciate you sharing all that is going on with your family. Your dinner sounded good.

I want a Roomba but I am under the impression you have to have an app on a cell phone to use it. I do not use a cell phone other than for an emergency. I hate all the dog hair and small pieces of trash that are here and there in my house. Using the dustpan and a small broom on my scooter is hard.

I am glad Jon was able to be turned easily. You are doing a remarkable job with both he and Jim. Y'all remain in my prayers. Jeanie :)

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question More Questions Than Answers

Mary Grace ~

Iím so glad that you had a wonderful Christmas. You have such a lovely family, it could be no other way! Iím looking forward to your update!

Iíve thought about naming her. And, yes, I think of the Roomba as female. The Dyson stick, of course, is male. I like alliteration, so Iíve been considering ďRuby.Ē I think Iíll give her the run of the house tomorrow, so she can show me her stuff!

Jeanie ~

Thank you for your prayers! Youíre in our prayers too!

The Roomba doesnít require a cell phone or an app, unless you want to control it from a remote location. We donít have an app, and she runs fine in our home.

But, she does have a bit of weight, not a lot, and you have to hold the bottom of it, put it on a counter, turn it upside down, open a chamber, unclick the filter to empty it, and replace it. It has a dock, so you have to pick it up and put it on the dock. It has to be plugged in, so that usually means it will be on the floor (as it is in our case).

Here are some YouTube videos to give you an idea of how she works:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...stration+video

Before Roomba, I used a swiffer mop on our Pergo floors and a Dyson stick vacuum on our rugs. That would be difficult for you to manage from your scooter. But a swiffer duster with a long handle might help pick up some of the dog fur.

We had a cocker spaniel, and we usually had her groomed every few months to shave off most of her fur to keep our home cleaner and prevent allergies for our boys. You might consider that option with your dog.

JONíS UPDATE

Jonís nurse and I exchanged several phone calls this morning about getting the doctorís order for Jonís blood draw. Our doc and his assistant were out today. We finally decided to forego the blood draw until next week after the holidays are over.

After his catheter change, she did take a urine sample for a UA, because that is PRN in his chart.

Nurse's Assessment of Jon

She said that what is happening to Jon is common among bed-bound patients. Additionally, she observed that this could be part of the ďdisease process.Ē Of course, our boys are undiagnosed, so we donít know what their disease is. But we do know that it is progressive, because weíve watched our boys deteriorate through the years. At 49, Jon has defied all of the odds against him.

She also said that Congestive Heart Failure is a possibility. The agency uses a mobile service for residential bedside tests. We will need the doctorís orders, then authorization from Jonís Medi-Cal insurance. That could take awhile to accomplish.

The agency has access to a nutritionist, who communicates over the phone. She doesnít make visits. Evidently, our nutritionist from the hospital is no longer there.

She noted Jonís weight loss and thought it looked like water weight loss. We donít know Jonís weight without the water. He used to weigh 155 lbs, and that was on 90 ml/hr formula. Then he filled with fluid, and we have no idea what his base weight is.

Holding His Own

At 12:30 this morning, I had to suction Jon, which woke him briefly. His SATS just wouldnít budge beyond 85. After that, he held SATS in the low 90s all night and slept well. Heís been napping a lot today.

We have adjusted his meds to suit his weight, and weíll find out after his blood draw what his levels are, which will help us determine whether thatís the culprit in his crises. Iím also asking for a Thyroid level, because that could be a factor too.

I canít count the number of times Jon has stymied intensivists and specialists, and then astounded them with his endurance and recovery. Every time a doctor has told me that a side effect of a medication or a treatment/procedure is rare, I just gesture toward my son and say, ďYou want rare? Here he is personified.Ē

So, we just keep moving forward and praying for Divine Guidance in every decision we make for Jon. He is our everything.

The Rest of Our Day

To round out the day, I had to call our doc and the pharmacy about Jonís Phenobarbitol refill. Itís a controlled substance. We canít get automatic refills. Itís absurd. Finally got that squared away, as another doctor in the practice called in the refill.

Then, the pharmacist told me that they didnít have the full amount of Jonís Dilantin for his refill. We have just enough to get by until Monday.

Jonís formula arrived in huge boxes, each with 2 cases, weighing over 30 lbs each. Jim got the trolley to bring in the boxes, then we had to open them, unload the cases into Jonís closet, and take out 5 giant boxes with a ton of paper filler to the garage. Next week, I have to call our trash company to send out a truck to pick up these and dozens of other boxes.

I called the formula pharmacy and asked our contact to never send the formula that way again. It did Jim and me in to do that.

Thank you so much for reading my lengthy posts, for your love, prayers, support, advice and walking beside us on our journey.

We love you and pray for you and your loved ones every day.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I was thinking "Daisy" for your Roomba. It's a pretty flower name like Rose, and she will keep your home "fresh as a Daisy."

Rose and Daisy...2019's Dream Team!

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I am so glad Jim got a good report and that Jon is doing better.

Now I am excited about Roombas, thanks to you. My prayers and love to all of you. Jeanie :)

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233343536 ... LastLast