Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramp for wheelchair advise

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Default Ramp for wheelchair advise

Even lightweight wc, about 20 lbs will hurt my back, lifting into car, as I discovered today. I am not tall, weigh little, fairly strong for my size.

I drive a hatchback car that looks small but easily accomdates my 9'2" surf board when the seats are folded flat.

So, I would like to be able to roll the lighteight wc into car up a ramp that extends out the hatchback. And roll it back out. I want the ramp not permanently mounted, but easy to pick up and lay down on wc days. Would remove on surf days.

Any ideas other than hiring a male Sherpa?

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've seen "portable" ramps for sale and have the impression you can get one to carry with you and "just" unfold it where it's needed but that may not be as easy as the ads make it sound.

You do know that most manual chairs can come apart easily, right?

When I need to stash my wheelchair in the back of a vehicle, I whip off the foot/leg plates, whip off the arm rests, whip off the seating and the back and anything else that can be removed, and then "all" I'm left with is the mainframe, which collapses fairly easily if you know how to do it.

However, the main frame is so heavy I can't lift it but many people can. And there's a trick for tilting the folded-up mainframe into the back seat of a 4-door vehicle so you don't have to lift it. That maneuver doesn't work with every vehicle though.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Yes, but the extended standing required for assembling and disassembling is frustrating. I will ask the wc people about a light ramp.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but the extended standing required for assembling and disassembling is frustrating. I will ask the wc people about a light ramp.
    Some of it can be done seated, but for the rest of it, I always hope somebody will help, and often somebody does--whoever is driving the vehicle.

Cab drivers have turned up and claimed nobody told them about the wheelchair. They tend to have bad backs (Howie, who is plagued by a bad back, will sympathize!) and at that point I end up disassembling and reassembling the chair.

Sometimes they give a bit of help.

I think I should try cultivating a more dramatic routine. While disassembling or assembling, I should huff and puff and make it obvious that this is very very difficult for me, maybe drop things a few times. I do that anyway but I should definitely do more of it.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I just typed "portable wheelchair ramp" into google and came up with a bunch of sites.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Blog Entries

I was considering one of those a while back when my new dentist didn't seem inclined (bad joke!) to install a ramp even though the "accessible" back door to his office involves two steps.

11. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

((((((BBS)))))) ~

Sherpas might be in short supply in Florida. Perhaps it would be easier to find a hunky cabana boy?

Your thought about consulting your w/c vendor is probably your best bet.

I found this website, with a video (see "How to Choose a Wheelchair Ramp" on the left side of the page, click on it for a video tutorial):

http://www.discountramps.com/portabl...FYF8fgodWO0Bdw

Whoa! That is a long link! I hope it works!

I had a 1980 Corolla 4 door sedan for 10 years, before we were gifted with a wheelchair van. I lifted one large folded chair into the trunk, tied the trunk with a bungee cord and put the other wheelchair in the backseat floor. I was working in those days, so I did this wearing high heels. I had no options, so I had to do it. I'm paying for that now in my senior years with pain.

You might ask your w/c vendor to look at your hatchback and determine whether an electric lift could be installed. That would be ideal, because even a lightweight portable ramp will require you to lift it and set it up. Pushing your chair up the ramp will also require some exertion. Think about a long-term solution as opposed to a temporary one.

I hope you find exactly what you need.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

13. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I do wonder how hard it is to push a lightweight wc up the ramp. And how much the light weight three part portable ramp weighs. The weight of ramp not in website. Have emailed them to ask. How do you deal with Ramps for your car?

15. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

When I first got a scooter, I bought one out of the Want Advertiser to try before spending my Medicare money. When I went to pick it up, they showed me other equipment. They had fiberglass ramps the used to cover the front steps when their SIL w a wc visited.

I have never seen them advertised but you might want to look into that.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

17. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) My first van had a lift in the back that was wired to the car battery. It lifted the chair and then I pushed it into the van and lowered it to the floor.

It worked good but I had trouble getting to the rear of the van and also keeping my balance. Once at a funeral on a hot day on a tar parking lot the chair bumped me when it went up and I landed on the ground. Luckily some other attendees helped me up.

After that I bought a used ramp van. It had a lot of problems motor wise and I sold it and bought another used van with a ramp.

I have a piece of plywood in the back of the van for when I go to someone's house without a ramp. I have to get someone to put it out for me. Jeanie :)

19. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast