Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ramp for wheelchair advise

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanie Z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :) My first van had a lift in the back that was wired to the car battery. It lifted the chair and then I pushed it into the van and lowered it to the floor.

It worked good but I had trouble getting to the rear of the van and also keeping my balance. Once at a funeral on a hot day on a tar parking lot the chair bumped me when it went up and I landed on the ground. Luckily some other attendees helped me up.

After that I bought a used ramp van. It had a lot of problems motor wise and I sold it and bought another used van with a ramp.

I have a piece of plywood in the back of the van for when I go to someone's house without a ramp. I have to get someone to put it out for me. Jeanie :)
    Eek! You could have been badly injured. That must have been VERY unsettling.

Once at a funeral on a hot day on a tar parking lot the chair bumped me when it went up and I landed on the ground. Luckily some other attendees helped me up.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

I guess I am stuck. I wanred to keep it simple and not alter the car.

I want a very light wc so I can just easily lift it into the car hatchback. Like under 15 lbs.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you don't plan to sit around in it much, a lightweight chair sounds good. If you're thinking of quite a bit of sitting in it, though, I wonder if it would provide enough support.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    If you don't plan to sit around in it much, a lightweight chair sounds good. If you're thinking of quite a bit of sitting in it, though, I wonder if it would provide enough support.
    I would use it only for going to stores, restaurant, library, far off doc suites, ...places that require walking more than a minute, or standing more than a minute. At this point, I careen a bit, and at the desk, I am holding self up while waiting. And other creative strategies.

You should see how far my docs suite is buried in a huge medical building!

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    I guess I am stuck. I wanred to keep it simple and not alter the car.

I want a very light wc so I can just easily lift it into the car hatchback. Like under 15 lbs.
    W
    Why are you giving up on a portable ramp? They don't alter the car at all -- you just lay it on the back floor of the car, it extends out the back, roll the chair up the ramp (not with you in it, though), pick up the ramp, fold it, throw it in the back of the car (I'm assuming you get a car that's a hatchback).

How big a person are you? Lightweight chairs are every bit as dependable as "standard" or "heavyweight" chairs, if you're a relatively light person -- 160 pounds or less. If you're heavier, then you'd need to move to a "standard" chair.

Lightweight chairs can run as little as ten pounds..but the lighter you go, the more expensive (they are made of titanium, very expensive metal). But if you can manage around 14-15 pounds, then there are some "regular" lightweight chairs that would suit you just fine. The average "life expectancy" of a chair used full-time is around 5 years, much longer for the kind of use you're talking about. Mine lasted me around 10 years and would have lasted longer had I not run over a high curb and bent the heck outta the frame!
    Last edited by Cat Dancer; 10-08-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I found light weight fiberglass ramps:

https://www.sportaid.com/travel-ramp...air-ramps.html

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12