Thread: Gout

Default Gout

I have been suffering from reoccurring episodes of Gout and have been advised by my physician that I will need to take Allopurinol for the rest of my life. Therefore, I would like to know if anyone here has taken such medication, and if so were there any serious side effects. Thanks!

oslooskar

Distinguished Community Member

Default Allopurinol

Quote Originally Posted by oslooskar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been suffering from reoccurring episodes of Gout and have been advised by my physician that I will need to take Allopurinol for the rest of my life. Therefore, I would like to know if anyone here has taken such medication, and if so were there any serious side effects. Thanks!

oslooskar
    Danger - I read online of a case where the person developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome and died from it. So what is the benefit-to-risk effect. And are there alternative treatments?

Distinguished Community Member

thanks for that info Mal,my housemate has been on the drug for many years.

personally I would try the "what to eat or not" theory. you can find a list online I'm sure. might surprise you which foods are not good for gout.

good luck!