Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: OT October Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the topic of electric wheel chairs, they certainly do move things. I moved a voting booth w my scooter and quickly had the "help" of two Boston Police officers!
    And the details would make an interesting story this morning.
    Roswell was a gift.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Dancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tom Petty has died.

I think we need to come up with a different name than "nursing home". I've not yet found an institution that really provides top-notch nursing, and they certainly aren't home-like. If they were, one could have a scooter or power chair if they wanted one, regardless of whether they could use it without bumping in to things. If it were home-like, one could wander out to the kitchen and get a snack whenever they wanted, rather than having to wait for meals. They could get whatever they wanted to eat, not have to settle for 1-2 choices..and sometimes none, on their menu. They could get coffee/tea whenever they wanted. They could go to bed, get up when they wanted, not at the convenience of the staff. Same with bathing. They could wander around in the middle of the night if they wanted to.

If there were quality nursing, there wouldn't be people with bed sores on a regular basis. There wouldn't be people on ventilators and respirators dying because they were not adusted properly. There would be people available to help people eat, not letting them sit around waiting for someone to help.

I could go on. But you get the idea. Anyway....I'm thinking a good name might be "warehouse for the forgotten and neglected".....
    Exactly. And private rooms for anyone who prefers a private room please, but especially a private bath. There are times when a person just can't wait very long to use a bathroom.

I get the feeling that people in nursing homes are more or less expected to die soon, and they sense that, very definitely. Maybe just being there speeds up the process. The more they have to depend on others for everything, the more they realize that "their time has come." They feel cut off from the world, and life ceases to have much meaning. Nursing (?) homes (?) are a disgrace and ought to be part of the scene only for those who genuinely want to be in one.

There are such people. They can afford top-quality places and they're run like fine hotels. The rest of us have to make do with probably being "put" (or "placed," as the euphemism has it) in facilities where all freedom is pretty much gone, and privacy? Forget about it.

How often have I heard someone say of a relative, "We had to put her in a home." The idea sends chills through me. I don't want to be so passive that I can be "put" anywhere, repositioned like a pawn on a chessboard.

I've seen this happen to people and am horrified at how fast it can happen sometimes. Horrified too at how fast the person's cherished belongings are snapped up by others or just tossed out. (Hey! I'm attached to my stuff! I want it around me!)

But we're seen as passive docile folks who can be shoved into out-of-the-way places when we start looking as if we might have a few inconvenient problems.

stillstANNding, those Green House Project places sound like a good idea. I checked a few states and found only one or two of them in each state I looked at. So yes, it would be difficult to get into one, I'd say.

Maybe, now that there is a huge aging population, with many more about to arrive on the scene what with the Baby Boomers reaching retirement age, there will be a vast army of seniors who just aren't going to put up with being "put" in places like "nursing homes."
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cool

Remember the time the powers that be put me in a nursing home? I had TWO roommates die. Both were in there just a few days each, and I'm pretty sure that is where they were sent to die.

It was enough to make me stop drinking....almost.
    Roswell was a gift.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Howie, what was in your mailbox from the landlord?

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thumbs up

Oooooh man. There is a little maple tree growing next to my heat pump, and he's afraid the roots will start to clog the septic tank lines. So I'm working, or rather my sister is working, to get someone to cut down that beautiful little tree. My next door neighbor or someone he knows.

He is the one who also sent someone to fix the water leak I had. He didn't do it himself, but found someone pronto to fix it. So once he gets word of what I need done, I'm sure he will find someone to do it.

It's nice to finally have a good neighbor, willing to help. His wife is going to be mowing my yard from now on. ALL arranged by my sister. I couldn't get by without her help!
    Roswell was a gift.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Howie, sorry to hear that the little tree is going but glad that it wasn't you.

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 10-03-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So glad there are cooperative people nearby.

Your continuing residence there is surely valued.

I've noticed often that if you stay in a place for at least a few years and don't make trouble and pay your rent on time, the powers-that-be really value you and want to keep you happy.

The tree sounds as if it's fairly well established. Could it be moved to another location where you could still enjoy looking at it?

Maple trees turn beautiful colors in the fall and are nice for shade. They do send out baby trees all over everywhere, and so maybe if you have to sacrifice this one, another baby tree will be available in your yard soon and won't be in danger of clogging any lines.

It's great if there will be someone to mow the grass regularly!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Cool

My no sleep last night, and my great relief from it being payday, caught up with me, and I napped for hours. I just got up awhile ago, and fixed me a meal. I had just enough time when I got back from the store, and started my nap, to make coleslaw.

Even with the nap, I feel an early bedtime coming on.
    Roswell was a gift.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I kind of suspicion that if Howie is like me, he is so glad to get something done that needs taking care of, that he probably doesn't ask for extras like replanting the tree. That would be really nice if he has the nerve to ask. I usually just get what needs to be done and let anything else go.
    Virginia

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I MAY walk out and take a look at that tree, and see what kind of roots it has, and if I think I can move it. If so, I may move it inside and put it in a pan of water until my sister can get it and plant it on her farm, or put it in a big pot, and grow it on my deck. The roots wouldn't be clogging any sewer lines then, would it?

See, I'm still thinking like I could do something like that. I doubt I could even carry an empty pot these days, much less one with a tree in it. But it's a nice fantasy!
    Last edited by Howie; 10-03-2017 at 09:22 PM.
    Roswell was a gift.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast